It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What about training? Can you pilot a small ship? Drive a semi-trailer? Things like that.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by taccj9903
I never got my pilots license but took lessons and have some solo time and I can say I don't believe there is any way someone is going to learn to fly a plane simply by playing a video game simulator.

I think anyone who tried that, would be asking for trouble.

Simply because you really don't get to restart the game, when you pile into the tarmac in a small plane.

I have a toy helicopter I bought before Christmas, and it is not one of the new models, that fly themselves.

I can't get it to fly for 5 minutes without crashing. Its a coast guard helicopter.

I don't know why they haven't got helicopters that fly by computer yet. You know, you would think that all you need is wind speed sensor, gravitometer, compas, GPS, some real good sensors around the craft, radar, and computers that do the thinking.
I would trust it before I would trust me.
edit on 29-1-2012 by Rocketman7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ittabena
reply to post by Rocketman7

I can drive anything but a chopper, Have been a truck driver and have flown flight simulators for years, and owned several boats. I can fly any plane but landing an airliner is verrrry tricky. Also I suck at backing into a dock with an eighteen wheeler. But then again, in that scenario neatness really doesn't count, does it?

Just don't put the hammer down good buddy. Thats a big ten four.

I can back up a semi I think. Real slow like, with people on both sides, telling me which way to turn the wheel.
I am going to need that when I take a semi-trailer full of canned goods from the grocer supply depot in the industrial park. Go big or go home, thats what I say.

I figure I can probably get a tug boat working, and if I can get a tug boat working, I can tow a ship.
And if I need 2 tug boats, then so be it. One behind and one in front. One to slow it down, and one to get it going.

And if possible, two more, one on each side to steer it.

If there aren't that many survivors, I will settle for a nice sized yacht and forget towing a ship.
I could captain a yacht.
And yachts have power, they have showers, they have fridges and freezers, you can fish, and it has a radio. Marine band. Get a yacht and you are almost safe right there. Until the pirates come.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by lcbjr1979
I can drive a small boat, semi-truck, snowmobile, ATV, and motorcycle. I am a paramedic so giving first aid is my niche. My wife has been able to maintain a nice garden so we could have plenty of vegetables. The only thing I have no experience in is hunting. I would have a hard time succesfully shooting game for meat. I would need to fall back on fishing for meat until I was a better hunter.

How are you at dentistry? If so we have spot coming available on the cruise ship we just towed from Victoria to Bamfield. All the salmon you can eat.
And WE will do the hunting for you. Deer, um, deer, did I say deer already? I think thats all the wild game there is in Bamfield unless you can eat bear, which is greasy and smelly. Ducks, greasy and smelly. Geese, same.
Seafood like shellfish if it isn't radioactive and doesn't have red tide.
The odd rabbit but you have to be maybe British or something to appreciate rabbit stew. Maybe if you had a good recipe. I can cook. Thats one thing I can do.
And hunt and fish. But you know, if you can just get 20 chickens, you have eggs and raise chicks, you have chicken for meat. And chickens are easy to raise as long as the coons don't get them.

Can you eat raccoon? I think they are probably greasy and smelly like almost everything else.

Oh! Looky here what I foun...
Barbeque Raccoon

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
i have qualified as helmsman and engineering watch in the engine room of navy MSBs, LCT/YFU MK6 landing craft, and MSOs.

MSB 47 foot mine sweep boat
brownwater-navy.com...

LCT/YFU 39 a 119 ft. MK 6 tank landing craft
ww2lct.org...

And a 172' foot ocean mine sweep MSO 437 USS Enhance
upload.wikimedia.org...

Driven a 100 ton mine haul truck and 992 Cat Loader and Cat Dozers from D2 to D9

Been a Underground Mine Blaster, and Mine superintendent, Industrial .Construction Electrician.

I would love to know if you think I have any hope at all of towing a cruise ship from Victoria BC to Bamfield BC, and towing a container ship from Seattle Washington to Bamfield, with 2 ocean going tug boats. (see the post in this thread for google map links)

Mine superintendent. That might be handy since you probably know how to live in one if you had to.
You could rig up some air flow system and dig in until the radiation levels off.

You know what is really cool? Well people with money, bought old missile silos, and built in them, large apartment buildings, so they are underground and they built their own survival bases.

Anyone in the NY area might just move in there if most people were dead everywhere else.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Champagne
Well...........even though I am female, I have experience in the following:

I can shoot a gun
Drive a Tractor trailer
Operate tractors
Drive Dump trucks
Drive Buses
Operate & drive Cement Mixers

Not bad for a female, huh???

edit on 1/29/2012 by Champagne because: BECAUSE

Pretty darn good if you ask me.

Ok I will ride shotgun in the cement truck. Lets put the freaked out survivors into the back, in the mixer, and we will crash that gate and blow this posicle stand. Just don't engage the mixer.
Cause we, have a date with destiny, and it looks like she just ordered the lobster.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocketman7

i have qualified as helmsman and engineering watch in the engine room of navy MSBs, LCT/YFU MK6 landing craft, and MSOs.

brownwater-navy.com...

ww2lct.org...

upload.wikimedia.org...

Driven a 100 ton mine haul truck and 992 Cat Loader and Cat Dozers from D2 to D9

Been a Underground Mine Blaster, and Mine superintendent, Industrial .Construction Electrician.

I would love to know if you think I have any hope at all of towing a cruise ship from Victoria BC to Bamfield BC, and towing a container ship from Seattle Washington to Bamfield, with 2 ocean going tug boats. (see the post in this thread for google map links)

Mine superintendent. That might be handy since you probably know how to live in one if you had to.
You could rig up some air flow system and dig in until the radiation levels off.

In case of nuclear war my shelters i have plans to use are old gold mines.
Most mines already have good air flow if dug right as its not cost effective to run a mine that does not vent its self of the fumes from blasting and has gas buildups from natural sources. and it cost money to run fans. Also by law mines today have to have two ways out.

I would love to know if you think I have any hope at all of towing a cruise ship from Victoria BC to Bamfield BC, and towing a container ship from Seattle Washington to Bamfield, with 2 ocean going tug boats

Why tow if you have the crew to run two tug boats you have enough people to crew a cruise ship or cargo ship.

Plus you would not need two ocean tugs one would do it if you did not tow it on a cable but tied along side and side(hip tow) pushed it with a helmsman in the ship to be able to turn the towed ships rudder.
www.globalsecurity.org...

There is also one tow method called a anchor tow where the tug shackles there tow cable to one of the towed ships anchors and both ships feed out a equal amount of cable and anchor chain.

Then the tug is not towing the full weight of the tow but is pulling up the weight of the anchor and the weight of the anchor trying to drop is pulling the towed ship forward. This means a lot less strain on the tug pulling the tow.

And in shallow waters if the tug quits towing the anchor drops to the bottom anchoring the tow.

The mine ocean mine sweep i was on had no problem towing a full size navy destroyer at about 2 knots.

edit on 29-1-2012 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

brownwater-navy.com...

ww2lct.org...

upload.wikimedia.org...

In case of nuclear war my shelters i have plans to use are old gold mines.
Most mines already have good air flow if dug right as its not cost effective to run a mine that does not vent its self of the fumes from blasting and has gas buildups from natural sources. and it cost money to run fans. Also by law mines today have to have two ways out.

I would love to know if you think I have any hope at all of towing a cruise ship from Victoria BC to Bamfield BC, and towing a container ship from Seattle Washington to Bamfield, with 2 ocean going tug boats

Why tow if you have the crew to run two tug boats you have enough people to crew a cruise ship or cargo ship.

Plus you would not need two ocean tugs one would do it if you did not tow it on a cable but tied along side and side(hip tow) pushed it with a helmsman in the ship to be able to turn the towed ships rudder.
www.globalsecurity.org...

There is also one tow method called a anchor tow where the tug shackles there tow cable to one of the towed ships anchors and both ships feed out a equal amount of cable and anchor chain.

Then the tug is not towing the full weight of the tow but is pulling up the weight of the anchor and the weight of the anchor trying to drop is pulling the towed ship forward. This means a lot less strain on the tug pulling the tow.

And in shallow waters if the tug quits towing the anchor drops to the bottom anchoring the tow.

The mine ocean mine sweep i was on had no problem towing a full size navy destroyer at about 2 knots.

edit on 29-1-2012 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

Even though towing is a routine task for tugs, it is still one of the most dangerous operations Army mariners must perform.

So then for sure, I want to do an anchor tow.
That sounds like the safest.

2 knots. So then from Seattle to Bamfield is lets say 250 miles, 125 hours?

You see I would think that its easy to pilot a tug boat, but not so easy to pilot a container ship or a cruise ship.

But dragging one at 2 knots, that sounds safe. The problem then would only be, avoiding rocks. And, when you get off Vancouver island, you have waves maybe, and maybe deep water.
I can't find a map that shows the depth of water off Pacific Rim Reserve off Tofino lets say.

Also gold mines, what about arsenic?
Isn't the area around a gold mine polluted? Maybe mercury? Or is that just outside the mine?

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
If you don't know what your doing...don't do it.
Did you get in a car and just drive?...ok you watched someone do it for years...have you seem someone drive a boat/plane..whatever... like you would see in a passanger seat of a car? NO...If you tried to drive a vessel, vehicle and mess it up...they can actually start fire or blow up. Do what you want...someone else might end up with all your preps...oh, on second thought, yes do practice with video games...they are real life!!! honest!

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by taccj9903
I never got my pilots license but took lessons and have some solo time and I can say I don't believe there is any way someone is going to learn to fly a plane simply by playing a video game simulator.

I think anyone who tried that, would be asking for trouble.

Simply because you really don't get to restart the game, when you pile into the tarmac in a small plane.

I have a toy helicopter I bought before Christmas, and it is not one of the new models, that fly themselves.

I can't get it to fly for 5 minutes without crashing. Its a coast guard helicopter.

I don't know why they haven't got helicopters that fly by computer yet. You know, you would think that all you need is wind speed sensor, gravitometer, compas, GPS, some real good sensors around the craft, radar, and computers that do the thinking.
I would trust it before I would trust me.

You don't get the same physical effects from a simulator. Things such as vertigo and the sensations to the body when you defy gravity, not too mention the g forces when entering a turn. Things like that have to be felt and dealt with on an individual basis.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Driven semi's...Cat dozers, not great big one's, but dozers none the less... Have piloted fishing boats, up to 40 footers, into docks without sinking 'em...the boat, or the dock.

I can navigate using the stars, and the sun. Build a fire. Hunt. Fish. Build fairly weather proof shelters in most conditions...would prefer to avoid snowy conditions. Not a big fan of snow.

First aid certified, though that's lapsed, need to get it up to date.

So, all in all, given enough warning, I could survive those damned, dirty zombies...

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
from 2000-2007 taught sailing,was on the rowing team(was a coxswain) was taught how to sail when i was 5 ocean going and lake sailing mind you,my father used to be a mercury tech (motors) and drove racing boats for 12 years for mercury racing,ive opperated a fork lift and i think a d2? dozer once was told it was kind of like driving a tank with a lever for each tread i think any electronic knowlege could also come in handy if you needed to make repairs but i think a large sailing boat possibly one of our historic ships might be a good option if shtf harder to sink a wooden boat right?

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
Driven semi's...Cat dozers, not great big one's, but dozers none the less... Have piloted fishing boats, up to 40 footers, into docks without sinking 'em...the boat, or the dock.

I can navigate using the stars, and the sun. Build a fire. Hunt. Fish. Build fairly weather proof shelters in most conditions...would prefer to avoid snowy conditions. Not a big fan of snow.

First aid certified, though that's lapsed, need to get it up to date.

So, all in all, given enough warning, I could survive those damned, dirty zombies...

Expect no warning.

You reminded me of that slogan. Its the slogan of our pride of the fleet super high tech, used diesel submarine we bought from Britain. I think it caught fire while it was being towed here, but now its had a refit and well, you guys down south had better watch out now because we are almost a superpower now too.

Its huge, I think its almost 80 feet, can stay submerged for 20 minutes or more!
Expect no warning.

Can anyone here drive a sub?
edit on 30-1-2012 by Rocketman7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by KilrathiLG
from 2000-2007 taught sailing,was on the rowing team(was a coxswain) was taught how to sail when i was 5 ocean going and lake sailing mind you,my father used to be a mercury tech (motors) and drove racing boats for 12 years for mercury racing,ive opperated a fork lift and i think a d2? dozer once was told it was kind of like driving a tank with a lever for each tread i think any electronic knowlege could also come in handy if you needed to make repairs but i think a large sailing boat possibly one of our historic ships might be a good option if shtf harder to sink a wooden boat right?

I envy you if you know how to sail. Sail boats seem to be quite seaworthy and they don't require fuel.
And lots of them are big enough to live aboard, at least for short periods of time.
There seems to be lots of them too so WTSHTF probably they will be easy to come by.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
the real atvantage of a sail boat at least a large one would be storage capacity and they are pretty much proven designs but most require a large crew (rigging rudder cooking maintenance etc) but the problem is even if you know old style sailing and can use a sextant etc alot of people are not versed on the matinece of such ships let alone the actual production of most large scale wooden boats (exceptions exist) and that might be one of their weaker points as eventualy they would get water logged and removing them from the water via dry dock might be hard post shtf so if your gonna go full on large wooden boat plan for shtf id look into construction and repair tecniques we can problay get from history books or the like as that might be the difference between life and death on the high seas,also look into a way to grow citrus fruits on deck if possible to stave of scurvey as that will like in olden times be one of the greater dangers to those at sea

if going small (catamaran,anything under 50 feet really) your gonna have to work out a support structure or plan in atvance as to what islands or inlets your gonna go for to find freshwater food and lack of humans as quickly as possible and basicly use it to scout out supplies or a habitation site(for lakes simaler plan but less focus on freshwater)as alot of them will not have the cargo space for long distance runs another key thing will be finding out of the way places that other people will not be going for(unless its all a large group voyage) ie i bet if stuff colapses near sf and its non nuclear but some other kind of crisis that angel and alcatraz islands will be taken by the smartest and probaly most well prepared people in the bay area as angel island has various civial war era buildings fortified structures and bunkers from ww2 old army depots and various concrete docks and gear and its own underground water storage and natural storage on the island and Alcatraz as a fall back point/fortress due to the fact of well its basicly an old prison and probably one of the harder structures on an island in the bay area so unless you are prepared or allied with the groups that get their first you might just end up getting captured by people who dont want you their or will press you into their army if they are not to friendly either way a good plan destination and skillsets are needed for life at sea and eventual rebuilding of some form of asociety

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

Well you can stop by for tea WTSHTF.

I will probably be on the deck here enjoying the sunshine. Secret Island

Presently unnoccupied

Check out the pictures.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Rocketman7

hehe it would be a voyage for me as i live in montana and not the bay(think my odds are pretty good out here as long as the christian cult on the lake dosent get us.....) but hopefully we never need all these crazy plans of ours

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join