It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To old to drive?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
We have all heard about old people driving on the wrong side of the road, i saw this article in the news today:
80 Year old woman drives car down railway

Come on people admit theres more that needs to be done to make sure that old people are able to drive safly, its not all about how well a person can see.

Yearly retests after 60? after 70?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

I think my dad's had a few retests since turning 70 (he's mid 80's now).
To be fair he's not fussed about having a car anymore, but my mum who's considerably younger yet an eternal pedestrian won't let him give it up.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

There should be a annual retest after 65 in my opinion. (I guarentee that there will be a high turnover of testers though
as that will be a stressful job)

My Dad was a fighter jock and always drove like it. He's in his eighties now, slower reflexs, loss of gearing and failing eyesight and it is truly frightening driving with him as he is still a speed demon.

When I visit, I drive. (I must admit, I take after my Dad as I'm a speed demon as well)

He recently admitted that he has to slow down and drive less. I'm sure that was a painful decision for him.

So I'm hopeful that he'll be sticking around a bit longer and is no longer a danger to others as well.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

I completely agree with the retest idea, but the elderly aren't the only people that can't drive. Everyone should have to take a refresher driving test every five years or so. When I'm out and about, alot of the terrible drivers I see are middle-aged businessmen-types yapping away on their cell phones. Now that I think about it, the vast majority of the bad drivers I see are on their cell phone, and that isn't limited to a certain demographic. I've also had my fair share of terrible elderly driver experiences, but I also know quite a few older people who drive really well. I think the "old people can't drive" concept is just a stereotype that's been pounded into our minds by various media outlets.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]It's not just the old folks that can't drive!

I think that a winter weather driving course should be available as well. And it should be mandatory.

I was driving home from school the other night in a snow storm. Everyone was going about 35 without a problem. There was a guy behind me, right on my bumper, who was fishtailing a ton and was still trying to pass me, along with the car ahead of me. When it was time for me to turn I was terrified that he would rear end me.

edit on 26-1-2012 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Oh i totally agree there should be retests and more retests demanded for driving violations (specificly dangerous driving offences).

I see some terrible driving from all ages all the time, however this was just about a real cut off age piont - there must be a finite age that you cannot drive safely any more - the crash dummys, test scenarios, braking distances, they are ALL for healthy adults no deteriating aging bodys!

Heck some people are so old that their driving license wasnt even a test, you just requested one like a local fishing permit!! My grandad never even DID a test!... EVER! okay so he wasnt terrible at driving and when his eyes got bad, he moved closer to his freinds instead.

Lets not even talk about soccer moms in SUVs doing their make up, on the phone with 3 kids in the back un belted....

new topics

top topics

join