It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Norwegian's trip 'diabolical'-dead man's sister (Man's illegal REattempt at trip to Antarctica)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Norwegian's trip 'diabolical' - dead man's sister

A Norwegian man has admitted he is embarking on an illegal trip to Antarctica, saying he wants to know why a similar trip last year went so wrong.

Jarle Andhoy and his companion, Samuel Massie, made headlines last February when they attempted to cross the South Pole on quadbikes.

A support yacht, Berserk, was waiting for them in McMurdo Sound but it sank and all three men aboard died.

Mr Andhoy, 35, and Mr Massie, 19, were later rescued from the ice and faced severe criticism for attempting the journey.

New Zealand authorities yesterday said they were looking for Mr Andhoy because it was believed he was embarking on a similar illegal trip, this time aboard a yacht named Nilaya.

Further on in the article Mr. Andhoy says this...

"For me, it is unreal that a boat with three men, so much deck equipment and cargo, is lost without a trace.''

This has all the makings of a conspiracy, I placed it in this forum because the first attempt at this trip was indeed a disaster.

I am quite interested in how this will turn out for these guys this time, I hope they are able to pull it off quite honestly.

I have not researched NZ laws but I find it odd that it is against the law and you have to have government approval to make a self-funded trip to Antarctica, really, why?

As far as what happened to the first yacht anything is possible I guess. I am sure the South Atlantic can get pretty nasty. I have watched the "Whale Wars" show as they do a lot of sailing in that region if I recall and there are some pretty decent swells, probably more so in turbulent weather. I even remember one episode that one of the ships in their fleet was hit by a rogue wave.

When I was in the US Navy, I was on the "Big E" (USS Enterprise), it was a big ship and the water would have to be pretty choppy to even know you were on a boat, but I learned fast that "there is an ocean for every ship" and there were times that carrier may as well have been a toothpick floating in the ocean. So it wouldn't have been the first boat to be swallowed by the ocean with no trace.

If anyone in the area or otherwise is obliged and has any more details regarding this story or more details regarding the first trip that ended in disaster, please do add any details to this thread.

One detail I am curious about among other details surrounding this story is who exactly rescued them the first time?
edit on 1/25/2012 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Pr0sp3r0

Thank you for the video. Are these the three that allegedly perished on the yacht from the first trip (previously recorded video)?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Pr0sp3r0

These guys in this video are very reminiscent of the guys on the American based show called Jackass. Similar motifs in that they seem to be putting themselves into danger. The Jackass guys post a disclaimer that they're professional stuntmen before each show or movie that is produced and to not try any of the stunts seen ...at home.

top topics

join