It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if Kerry wins and the US immediately pulls out like everyone wants?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I am putting Kerry aside since he has stated numerous times that we will stay in Iraq.

If we were to stay in Iraq I think many countries would actually start to fight over power. Iran being a big one that would do its best to solidify control. France and other nations just want the economic benefit so they wouldnt invest much into trying to stabilize the region.

Pulling out now would cause Iraq to become even more chaotic than it is now. People have at least some assemblence of life, even though it is nothing in comparison to what they used to have. The government would collapse all the police force and iraqi troop force would disband again. Militias would take control and take havoc on to the civilians. Other militias would blow themselves up and try to take control of iraq. It would definately be worse than it is now. With the US staying there it will keep somewhat of a shield in place for the Iraqi forces to stabilize and get trained. I see in about 5 years is when we will see the first major troop pull out. Its plausible and it will give the new govt time to gain some momentum and popular support.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by JabbaOnTheDais
If we pulled out of a Iraq today, there would be civil war. The current government would stand for a time, but the war would split Iraq into it's old factions. Then it would just be another Lebanon with Muslim factions killing other Muslim factions, all bidding for power.

But unfortuneatly, the same thing will happen a year from now if we pull out. And 5 years after that. Only after will kill every "true believer" and replace them with passive imitators will we be able to leave.

So far you are the one closes to the truth anybody else keep comparing Iraq to Germany, vietnam and so on.

People does not understand that Iraq is not only one nation but a group of tribes and each trible control a portion of the land, During Sadam this was not allowed and now that is not longer control these diferent groups will fight ot the end to regain their individual power.

What US did in Iraq is to give these people the right to united and fight for their land rights.

Iraq will be a nation of war lords.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by disturbence
and you ignore the rules of war.

What rules of war has the US governement ignored? I'll grant that the soldiers in abu garaib were acting absolutely criminally, and the government was completely negligent in not investigating the claims that they were sooner, however the guilty parties are being prosecuted. Was there something else you were thinking of?

you freely snathc people from other countries, keep them inprisoned without due prosess and tortue them for information....

Due process doesn't exist internationally and people haven't been tortured at Camp Xray in Cuba. The prisoners there can be kept there indefinitely without any trial or tribunal at all, there is nothing illegal in that. They just can't be mistreated. And people weren't 'snatched' from other countires, these were people caught on the battlefield during war attacking US forces.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
What rules of war has the US governement ignored? I'll grant that the soldiers in abu garaib were acting absolutely criminally, and the government was completely negligent in not investigating the claims that they were sooner, however the guilty parties are being prosecuted. Was there something else you were thinking of?

He might be talking about the war in general. How Bush told the entire world we were going because of weapons of mass destruction, only to find out it wasn't true. And now, no apologies. Instead, Bush has changed the reasons.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
i think if the majority of people wanted to pull out and showed that, kerry would, as we know he has a problem of making up his mind, the problem with bush his, he dosent use his:/

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zach
i think if the majority of people wanted to pull out and showed that, kerry would, as we know he has a problem of making up his mind, the problem with bush his, he dosent use his:/

Great point. And that is the major issue here. Sure, John Kerry may flip flop 5 times before deciding what he eats for breakfast, but at least he can spell "United States".

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by JabbaOnTheDais
How Bush told the entire world we were going because of weapons of mass destruction, only to find out it wasn't true. And now, no apologies.

But thats hardly 'not following the rules of war', its nothing like it infact.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   
What I find amazing is that most Americans seem to think it is up to them to solve all the worlds problems.

Why not pull out and let it all settle down. Sure a lot of people are going to die. That is terrible. But nothing is going to stop that now. All the US is doing is prolonging the agony.

The Middle East has always been a hotbed of tribal wars friction, injustice and revenge. It has been like that for thousands of years. All America has done is unite all local factions to fight against the ongoing US invasion. It can never now possibly work.

The promise of freedom and democracy was shown to be a sick joke when all the tortures and abuses became known. Even moderate Iraqis were appalled. The US now looks more evil and corrupt than even Saddam's regime. The US has now lost any hope of gaining the faith of the local people.

If it is not going to work, the only thing the US can do now is pull out completely. Simple.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by arnold_vosloo
I really think you wouldn't see much difference in what was happening on the ground in Iraq if Kerry won. He as others had said will not pull out anyway.

I think the only difference you may notice is a more diplomatic approach to relations with other nations.

also the person who said it would go to hell..hasn't it already?

lol....yea right?
u gotta love the rosey hued perspective of a comfy-cozy American....
like Iraq isn't Hellish now?!
hahaha

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join