It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayan king traveled in space!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I bet most of u have heard of this but here is a pic anyway

It really looks like a spaceship. Just look at the flames in the bottom and the form of the thing..

This is the only info i could find at the moment : www.physics.hku.hk...

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Yeah the Mayans used to interest me until I heard they thought that the world was flat and that the earth was the center of the universe... But you never know what information you can trust... That pic looks like a rocket to me...

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Whaat? Did they think that the Earth was flat? But they knew about lots of other planets in oure solar system..

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Helix
Whaat? Did they think that the Earth was flat? But they knew about lots of other planets in oure solar system..

I have read both... I am not sure what to believe... There calendar is interesting though...

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 09:38 AM
link   
its a great image and taken out of context, like the clever Mr Daniken does so often, it may appear to some to be a rocket. But it looks nothing like a rocket I`ve ever seen. The form is ornamental and decorational, now I never seen a rocket like that. As to the flames at the bottom they are a bit puny for a rocket, if they are indeed even flames.

When you consider the known religious symbols on the design and the fact this comes from a kings tomb it puts it more in context.

The mayans had three seperate calenders and they are among if not the most accurate. The Mayan long count calender is the one which stops around 2012 and is thought to signal the end of the world.

I`ve never seen that they thought the world flat discussed.

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Ogasmatron, hehe....

Calling it a rocket, is a rather long leap of faith... Maybe it's just a fancy backyard barbeque? After all, shouldn't the King have the best grill around?

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 12:42 PM
link   

�Is it really a coincidence that the height of the Pyramid of Cheops multiplied by a thousand million corresponds approximately to the distance between the earth and the sun?�

Can anyone please explain to me what a thousand million is?

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 12:42 PM
link   
one billion

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 12:43 PM
link   
If you'd looked up the parent page for the image, you'd have seen the correct interpretation. It's a lid to a sarcophagus, by the way, and the king is Pacal:

The lid contains information about Pacal's death and his beliefs in the afterlife. A panel surrounds the center image. Three individuals are depicted on this panel. It was later discovered that these individuals were Pacal's administration and top officials.
The center image contains a great tree that emerges out of a bowl of sacrifice and continues up behind the body of the dying king. The tree represents the Milky Way that stretches across the entire sky. A supernatural bird also appears in the center image, which is supposed to help the ruler get to the afterlife by using magic powers produced by the bird. Pacal is holding a double-headed serpent that symbolizes his power and wisdom. A turtle necklace was placed around Pacal's neck representing his rebirth as the Maize God. Pacal is pictured in an awkward position that symbolizes the great transformation that he is undergoing as his life ends and he enters into his journey to the Otherworld. The netting on Pacal's skirt symbolizes how Pacal left this world as the Maize God. It was often that Pacal compared himself to the Maize God and nearly all of the inscriptions that depict Pacal's name contains the crossed pattern which symbolizes the Maize God. The lid also contained text which read, "They closed the lid, the sarcophagus of the Maize God [Pacal]." The death of the last eight generations of kings are also told on the lid.

They get this directly from the translations of the inscriptions, not from looking at pictures and guessing. The ones who said "oooh! spaceship!" knew nothing about the Mayans and could not read their language.

posted on Apr, 16 2003 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illmatic67

�Is it really a coincidence that the height of the Pyramid of Cheops multiplied by a thousand million corresponds approximately to the distance between the earth and the sun?�

Can anyone please explain to me what a thousand million is?

hell naw illmatic

posted on Apr, 16 2003 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Hey, math was never my best subject

I barely passed AP Calculus in 11th grade,

posted on Apr, 16 2003 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I had a choice after middle school...PAT (Program for the Academically Talented), or ATP (Artistically Talented Program). I chose the latter, after knowing some who had AP classes that were supposed to give college credits, but then weren't accepted. Of course, the extra grade point factored into the GPA would have been nice, but not needed...

Turned out it was a good decision. I met many famous artists, won lots of art awards, even got to design some posters for some state parades, etc. and all while in high school.
Not to mention, it lead to a keen interest in humanities that is with me still today (and allowed me to correct my college humanities teachers on many occassions, hehe...)

Never took Calculus though...Physics was fun. Nothing like taking up the whole board to do a math problem all to get an answer like -1...

posted on Apr, 16 2003 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Yea, that's how it was in Calculus. We'd literally spend a whole class which is like an hour and thirty minutes on just one problem. I committed GPA suicide when I took Calculus, my GPA fell hard but it's back to normal lol. I didn't want to take Physics this year, I got the most severe case of senioritis ever diagnosed.

posted on Apr, 17 2003 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Just because thats not the way YOU would artistically interpret a spaceship doesnt mean it's not they way THEY would.

I mean, you know what a spaceshuttle is because you've seen them before, hell you live in the age of space travel... these people lived thousands of years ago.

You think a Mayan would be able to comprehend what they are really seeing? No, they would have tried to interpret it in a way that their brain could fathom - Gods, Sun, Stars, Heavens, Whatever..

Put yourself in the mindset and try to understand things from a perspective other than your own.

posted on Apr, 18 2003 @ 04:33 AM
link   
"Just because thats not the way YOU would artistically interpret a spaceship doesnt mean it's not they way THEY would.

I mean, you know what a spaceshuttle is because you've seen them before, hell you live in the age of space travel... these people lived thousands of years ago.

You think a Mayan would be able to comprehend what they are really seeing? No, they would have tried to interpret it in a way that their brain could fathom - Gods, Sun, Stars, Heavens, Whatever..

Put yourself in the mindset and try to understand things from a perspective other than your own."

You are just quite simply wrong. If you read about this then you will discover it has nothing to do with them living thousands of years ago and having a perspective different to our own. If I were you I do some reading and try and understand what its really about.

posted on Apr, 18 2003 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by cargo
Just because thats not the way YOU would artistically interpret a spaceship doesnt mean it's not they way THEY would.

Put yourself in the mindset and try to understand things from a perspective other than your own.

Cargo, old bananna, the funky looking small squares around the border of the picture are actually writing. They say what the picture is about. That's how we know it isn't a spaceship.

That's how we know the guy is Pacal and that he isn't an astronaut -- he's a king and that's a standard stylized representation of a king's headdress.

Arguing it is a spaceship is like standing in front of Groman's Chinese Theatre and looking at the handprints and footprints of all the Hollywood stars set there in the cement in the sidewalk and trying to tell us that Hollywood actors really walk on all fours and you can see that because of their handprints and footprints in the same block of cement.

posted on Apr, 19 2003 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I am well aware of it.

"But it looks nothing like a rocket I`ve ever seen."

"the flames at the bottom they are a bit puny for a rocket"

That's reason to dismiss the pic as not a spaceship?

Byrd: This isnt arguing. You sensitive lil thing.

posted on Apr, 19 2003 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Cargo, old bananna, the funky looking small squares around the border of the picture are actually writing. They say what the picture is about. That's how we know it isn't a spaceship.

NO but that does

posted on Apr, 19 2003 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Ok, thanks for the answers.. Its hard to learn if you dont ask

new topics

top topics

join