It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Phobos-Grunt considered a Spy satellite?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Is the Phobos grunt, consider a Russian spy satellite? or just a regular satellite? Did the Russians claim that U.S. was involved in the sabotage of the satellite?

Trying to find a non-biased article.

Thank you.
edit on 19-1-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

It was a satellite sent to phobos, one of mars moons, and was sent to collect samples (sample return mission) and return but never fully made it out of the Earths atmosphere. That's all's I know.
edit on 19-1-2012 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I thought I read somewhere that the Russians believed the US sabotage the mission. Or, did I read it wrong?

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I remember reading a thread on that too, I can't find the thread but I found this site with a bit of what your talking about blogs.discovermagazine.com...

There are stories the US shot it down and it's going to land on Earth on Sunday
www.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 19-1-2012 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

No. The claims were fabricated by a group of Russian scientists using the excuse that a dish at the United States base in the Mariana's was tracking an asteroid and whether purposefully or not, interfered with the probe. However, according to the United States, there is no "asteroid tracking" facility in the area.
Bunk.

On topic,
The Phobos-Grunt probe was a joint mission between Russia and two other NGOs who had systems on board. The probe was orbiting the earth twice before sling-shotting to Mars. It was not a spy satellite in any way, shape, or form.

This is the thread about the probe. It was thoroughly debunked by the last pages. thread

edit on 19-1-2012 by isthisreallife because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Agh bummer, okay, thanks. There goes that idea.

new topics

top topics

join