It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Things Ron Paul

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
The Texas congressman and consummate outsider spent much of 2011 being dismissed by the mainstream media and GOP establishment -- only to turn in surprisingly strong showings in Iowa and New Hampshire. The strident libertarian finished a strong third in the Iowa caucuses, and turned in a second-place showing in New Hampshire -- where he finished with more votes than Newt Gingrich, Rick Santorum, and Rick Perry combined.

Ron Paul's Background:

Paul was an obstetrician/gynecologist before being elected to Congress in 1976.

He served as a U.S. congressman from Texas over three different periods: From 1976 to 1977 after he won a special election; from 1979 to 1985, when he left Congress to (unsuccessfully) run for the U.S. Senate; and from 1997 through the present.

In July, the 76-year-old said he would not seek re-election to Congress in 2012 so he can focus on his presidential campaign.

Rep. Paul and his wife of 54 years, Carol, have five children, including freshman U.S. Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul.

Ron Paul on the Issues:

Taxes: Paul wants to abolish the federal income tax and the Internal Revenue Service. He wants to slash $1 trillion from the federal budget. Paul would also audit and eventually abolish the Federal Reserve.

Entitlements: Paul would allow young people to opt out of Social Security and make their own investments. Though he has called Social Security unconstitutional, he thinks the program should be maintained.

Foreign policy: Paul’s isolationist foreign policy views call for vastly reducing American military spending overseas and eliminating foreign aid. He fiercely opposes the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

He opposes a pre-emptive strike on Iran, which he has said does not threaten U.S. national security.

Abortion: Paul opposes abortion. He has signed a pledge to appoint only people with anti-abortion views to key positions in his administration.

Immigration: Paul would recall U.S. troops from overseas and have them patrol the U.S.-Mexican border. He opposes a border fence, arguing that it would be more dangerous by keeping people in America than by keeping foreigners out.

Environment: Though Paul has backed some tax incentives for clean energy, he generally opposes federal environmental regulation. He opposes tax breaks for oil and gas companies.

Paul has previously called global warming a "hoax" and has questioned climate science.

Ron Paul's Accomplishments:

In Congress, Paul has served on the House banking committee. He currently serves on the House Committee on Financial Services and the House Committee on Foreign Affairs.

Paul has written more than ten books, including “End the Fed,” “The Revolution: A Manifesto,” and “Liberty Defined: 50 Essential Issues that Affect Our Freedom.”

Ron Paul Weaknesses/Controversies:

In the 1980s and 1990s, an organization that Paul founded as a vehicle for his libertarian views published a series of newsletters that included racially charged statements. Paul insists that he did not write or review them.

Paul’s libertarian views put him outside the Republican mainstream. His views also make it easy for opponents to paint him as extreme or radical

Not everything in this OP is favorable, but it does a great job illustrating Ron Paul's long history of standing for what he believes in and fighting the status quo.

Link to Original Source
Real Clear Politics - Paul vs. Obama

edit on 1/19/2012 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
/q Foreign policy: Paul’s isolationist foreign policy views call for vastly reducing American military spending overseas and eliminating foreign aid. He fiercely opposes the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. /q

Dr. Paul is a non-interventionist. He wants to be Sweden and not North Korea.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Hello, I am not even an American but if I was a an American citizen. I think my vote would go to him. After watching his "what if" speech, I for one see a man who is at least in touch with reality and the long term effects of a country.

He is not getting the vote by "yeah lets kill these muslim terrorists" when in fact if you read the Koran, you will find its a very peaceful book I am not advocating the Koran over the Bible as both are inherintly flawed as they both have one thing in common

Blind faith in the absence of evidence.

Its just a few select people who go awol and take it too far

Now before this goes any further.

Ron Paul would have my vote...providing he could stand by what he said...which I doubt he could for very long. I hope that I am underestimating his character should he be elected.

join