It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago Police Upgrade Tasers, Company Sees Other Big Orders

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Taser International received several large orders at the end of 2011, among them one from the Chicago Police Department to upgrade its electric stun guns.

Scottsdale-based Taser (Nasdaq: TASR) received an order for 680 of its X2 stun guns and 4,900 cartridges from Chicago Police in the fourth quarter.

Taser’s X2 is a dual-shot stun gun that is close in size and shape to the company’s long-time X26 model. It has proved popular, and Taser has done trade-in offers for departments looking to upgrade.

The company also received an order for 170 X2s from the Lee County, Fla., Sheriff’s Department; 165 of the devices for the Sunrise Police Department in Florida, and another 155 for the Cary, N.C., Police Department. Another city the company declined to name ordered 250 X2s.

Source Article

I guess the "Don't tase me Bro!" plead never caught on...

...and I guess it's all speculation at this point. I can see upgrading to a newer model and Chicago Police has over 13,500 sworn officers so I guess it doesn't look like much when you view it from those numbers.

The curious part of this story is that there were so many ordered in a short time, for what?... is the part I am a tad curious about? Must just be a coincidence ...you think?
edit on 1/19/2012 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Um, I hate to say "Duh", so, I won't!

The short answer is the G4 summit.

The long answer has stuff about 4th amendment rights and peaceable assembly.

Hope I've helped.
Cuhail

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

Well the G-8 Summit and Chicago makes sense from a preparedness standpoint, but what of Sunrise, FL, Cory, NC, and the other "un-named" city? I am not currently aware of any impending Social gatherings in the first two areas that would warrant such a surplus of tasers.

Mind you I haven't looked into it too deep, I just thought the abrupt ordering of these weapons was intriguing. More for the other areas than Chicago. Most likely just a coincidence though.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Well, I get Chicago news, so, I'm only going by what I've heard half-listening to the idiot box over there. Chicago, I guess, is the only city to host the G8 (8?, 4?) summit and NOT start preparing two years prior. So, the new Tasers are probably just Chicago trying to arsenal-up last minute. I keep catching mention of Chi-town cops only having the equivelant of motorcycle helmets with their riot gear...so rioters, go for the head.

Speaking of rioters, they've interviewed a whole lot of people/groups who plan on protesting and all of them say they plan on peaceful protests. They expect paid rabble-rousers to stir up trouble.

I suppose it's good they know it's coming.

Cuhail

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Those will be close to the cities that the political conventions are to be held. South Carolina for the Democrats and the Republicans in Florida.

top topics

join