It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the SOPA fear scam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Okay heres my rant on this SOPA tantrum everyones going through now,

someone tried to tell me they can jail you for things like posting a inappropriate picture or singing to songs playing in the background of youtube videos,

yes yes thats it ..be afraid.. be very afraid

okay..
only thing i see going on here is a massive fear campaign, which is probably what they want, i mean this is just as bad as the napster scam they had years ago threatening to JAIL you if you download mp3's.. common people.. if it passes it was going to pass with or without your consent anyways by the powers that be, do you think you really have a voice? not unless you have 6 trillion $.. haha

i say don't worry about it, we pirates have always found alternate ways, always have always will

peace.. love & light

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Sorry pal... That's a rather naive way of looking at it. Furthermore, whoever explained SOPA to you doesn't really seem to understand it.

Today's protests have already changed the hearts of a few co-sponsors. So, $6 billion would be nice, but I'm not convinced I need it.

While some of the 'what ifs' and 'this coulds' are a bit alarmist or extremist, why leave it to chance? Why leave it up to the boneheads in office? Those of us with the technical know how to get around state censored internet are a rather small percentage of the population.

Say the content on ATS is declared criminal - or god forbid 'terroristy'. No more ATS.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Need to know why you say it's a scam.

In other words...proof instead of just you saying so.

Thanks in advance,

Peace

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by kolder

Maybe you should research what the SOPA bill would do if passed instead of relying on here-say. Also, it's not fear mongering if there really is something to fear.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

i dont have any evidence but the analyzing brain thats in my skull, i've been around the net for a long time and have seen things like this before,

No government will be able to control the people with a population this large, so what do they do? they pump fear into you, "I can be sent to prison for this? # i better behave" Fear is the greatest control scheme there ever was and ever will be

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by kolder
reply to post by jude11

No government will be able to control the people with a population this large, so what do they do?

Ever hear of China?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
i remember when torrents first hit the scene my internet provider along with the media warned people about illegal downloading and how you can be fined and jailed for such activities, even made a fake letter that was told would be sent to you if you were found violating these laws,

that didn't stop myself and many others and no one that im aware of has seen any punishment from the law for such activities

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

talking about the world man, the big 13

the ones who are responsible for making us think who we are

there are greater powers much more powerful then any country who pretty much run the whole show

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by kolder
reply to post by SpaDe_

talking about the world man, the big 13

the ones who are responsible for making us think who we are

there are greater powers much more powerful then any country who pretty much run the whole show

SOPA is a US based law that would be easily enforceable inside the US. What are you talking about the big 13?

ETA: China actively blocks many sites on a daily basis to keep their citizens in check. If they can do it with what they have, just imagine what the US could do with all their alphabet agencies all working on it to get a piece of the pie.
edit on 1/18/2012 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

im talking about the families with more money and power then you can even imagine

the rockefellers the rothschilds the bundys Ect

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I got a letter shortly after the latest Eminem cd came out after I downloaded it (In my mind not really piracy considering I also bought the cd, but downloaded to save the time of ripping it when it only takes 1 min to download)
They were saying things like they were going to fine me and take me to court and blah blah so I just ignored them for awhile and kept paying my internet bill every month like I normally did, then they called me up.. Said that I illegally downloaded Eminem recovery cd.. I just told them that I pay you for internet service, not to badger me about things that you may think are legal or not and that I have a store bought cd so technically I didn't pirate anything but if Marshall has a problem with it tell him to give me a call. Haven't heard anything about it since.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Arekoteya

haha really? thats awesome way to defeat the fear brother. if something like that happened to some people i know the phone call alone would have been enough to change them forever

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Yeah it's real strange they were bent out of shape about the eminem cd but not the few terabytes of other downloaded data hehe, which is funny in itself because I could just goto youtube and listen to the full cd there if I wanted.

top topics

join