It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

M1 Solar Flare - I noticed because my cat went bonkers.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
It might be wise to keep the discussion in this thread to be about the M1 flare and sunspots 1401 & 1402. Spaceweather.com has a nice blurb about the solar prominence which I believe is associated with the two clusters of sunspots. Within the last hour (at 1912 UT Jan18) we had and M1. I do not know where the flare came from yet but it might be from that cluster which looks rather active.

The only reason I knew about this M1 flare (which I admit is not exactly rare, btw) but this afternoon my cat went from sleeping calmly to going totally beserk. He squared off with me as I was standing in front of him and he started attacking my leg but he would not really use his teeth/claws - he would just lunge and bounce off. After quite awhile of this activity, I finally decide 'what the heck' and checked Spaceweather.com to see if there was any solar activity. The cat started going crazy when I txt'd my fiancee to say he was bouncing off the walls which was around 20:10 UT. I am not saying any more than that - it was probably coincidence. That is just the story of how I came upon the solar flare prior to the official report.

3-Day X-Ray Flux

edit on 18-1-2012 by nydsdan because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-1-2012 by nydsdan because: formatting

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Interesting. All I have to add is that most everyone at school had a stick up their hind-ends today. I was actually in a good mood!

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by nydsdan

Does anybody know where I might find a list of flares M1 and greater? Just a month or so of data is all I need. I am striking out wherever I look.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by nydsdan

What day was it when your cat was going beserk?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Yeah, interesting indeed! My cat has been sleeping all day though, the only anomaly at my place is that my entire family has had major headaches since this morning, including me... Probably not connected to the solar flare in any way, but who knows, we seldom have headaches.
edit on 18-1-2012 by Aeroe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeroe

Entire family here is having headaches. Could be anything though. However, checking the latest SOHO, the sun seems to being going crazy.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Well, the current solar activity is rather active, but it is not necessarily unusual for this period of its cycle.
All I know is that although the forecast for X class flares is still down around 5%, I will be keeping an eye on the current cluster of sunspots emerging over the northwestern corner.

new topics

top topics

join