It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fungus has killed up to 6.7M bats in 'potential extinction'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Federal biologists announced today that up to 6.7 million bats in 16 states and four Canadian provinces may have died from the white-nose fungus since it was detected six years ago, a die-off that a conservationist today called "a potential extinction event,"

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said that at least 5.5 million bats are estimated to have died from so-called white-nose syndrome, a disease first documented on bats hibernating in cave near Albany in February 2006. Biologists report mortality rates of 90% to 100% at some sites and expect the disease to keep spreading through several species, including some that are endangered.

"This startling new information illustrates the severity of the threat that white-nose syndrome poses for bats, as well as the scope of the problem facing our nation. Bats provide tremendous value to the U.S. economy as natural pest control for American farms and forests every year, while playing an essential role in helping to control insects that can spread disease to people,"
The cause is a mystery.

Just thought I'd add to the other thread on mass die offs. This could easily been Humans. IMO

Link

White Nose Syndrome

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I read about that in, I think Nat. Geographic a year or 2 ago.
During the summer and when they are active the bats just wipe it off. But when they are hibernating the fungus takes over because the bats are virtually unaware of it.
I have hundreds of little brown bats in my barn and have spent 16+ years encouraging their residence.

The extinction of bats would totally mess up the food chain. I cannot imagine the number of mosquitoes if it weren't for the little bats..
here is a pic of bats with the fungus:

pic source

edit on 18-1-2012 by horseplay because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-1-2012 by horseplay because: argueing with pic upload

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
we're pretty fond of our bats around here. i got an email from the bat conservancy the other day that the situation is worse than they thought it would be... and no end in sight. this is very sad/

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by pasiphae

I haven't found any signs of the fungus among my bats yet. None flying off season, and no more than the occasional few last summer dead.
Is there someone I should contact to keep an eye on this?
I love my bats, seriously.
I even go out of my way to 'rescue' the wee ones that can't fly right yet in the summer. Seeing as each female bat only has maybe 1 offspring per year, it's tough to get a colony established.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Time Magazine article called it "an animal apocalypse"

Source

And the Washington Post:

“We’re watching a potential extinction event on the order of what we experienced with bison and passenger pigeons for this group of mammals,” ...... “Unlike some of the extinction events or population depletion events we’ve seen in the past, we’re looking at a whole group of animals here, not just one species. We don’t know what that means, but it could be catastrophic.”

Source

And, don't think this is just an eastern US problem.....

This is a great article: Will Eastern Bat Killer Move West?

edit on 22-1-2012 by ns9504 because: messed up quote function

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by C21H30O2I

Fungi.
Remember these guys.
They are the real masters of this earth.
And they are making a come back.
Fighting back.
I welcome our new overlord!

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
If you've ever thought that bats are ugly and odd, this video should change your mind. Remember, they're just warm, fuzzy mammals like us.

Lil' Drac - Baby Bat Rescue

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by BBalazs

They sure are and they can over-run
us, in no time! left unattended.

top topics

join