It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saturn's Moon Titan May be More Earth-Like Than Thought

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
People are petrified we might actually be ants in the pecking order of life!

Who says we will even notice the life in front of us if we visit these places?It may be completely beyond our comprehension.

The shoreline pictures the Huygens craft took on Titan looked like a busy coast to me.Others showed clear signs of buildings and other oddities.
aboutfacts.net...

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mkoll
Venus is an altogether different beast, but I think there is probably a layer in the atmosphere which is pretty viable for life, but I have no idea how possible it is.

Europa is a very, very good candidate for complex life, in my opinion, due to the tidal forces heating its core and our knowledge of geothermally powered ecosystems

Oh dear, I bumped this thread.

edit on 31/1/12 by Pimander because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I really have a hunch this is the place where life is most likely to reside.I think they know that too.

Nasa that is..

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I am reviving this thread with new and relevant information. While the media keeps prattling on about arid Mars as a future Earth colony, the most hospitable orb in our solar system - Titan - is always falsely portrayed as just an orange circle.

People need to know (besides the Elitists) that Titan is a beautiful blue/green with surface water and an atmosphere:

www.popsugar.com...
PHOTO OF TITAN BY NASA'S CASSINI PROBE

It's also most probably inhabited, as hinted at in other ATS threads:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
LARGE OBJECT APPEARS AND DISAPPEARS FROM TITAN LAKE
edit on 9-2-2015 by MKMoniker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: MKMoniker

Temperatures on Titan are cryogenic; water (on the surface, at least) can only exist as solid ice, and the liquid lakes and seas are composed of methane and ethane. The colours in that NASA image are false, because it's an infrared image.

Titan is one of the most studied object in the Solar System, we know quite a bit about it. It's most definitely not the most hospitable place.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Even scientists are saying Titan is "more Earth-like" than any other orb in our solar system - even with a frozen surface and a salty underground lake.

spacecoalition.com...
SATURN'S TITAN: A WORLD OF SURPRISES

public.nrao.edu...
(Oct. 2014) ORGANIC MOLECULES IN TITAN'S ATMOSPHERE ARE INTRIGUINGLY SKEWED

spaceref.com...
(Jan. 2015) JPL PRODUCES VIDEO LOOK AT TITAN
(As the view of the probe descends, watch from the 1:40 min. mark onward for "fuzzed-out" areas (air-brushed) that might indicate evidence of ET visitation or structures.)

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
phys.org...

A NEW WAY TO VIEW TITAN: 'DESPECKLE' IT

(NOTE: On the second black and white photo of the eastern shoreline of Kraken Mare on Titan, notice three small rounded globules in the lower right corner, as well as a shadow "?" above it by half an inch.)

www.physicsforums.com...-3754713
(Feb. 2012) TITAN'S CURIOUS LACK OF IMPACT CRATERS

The suggested answers are either erosion, or covering up of the craters by blowing sand. Or else "rotation slippage" due to the land resting on a liquid below:

www.scientificamerican.com...
(2008) SIGNS OF HIDDEN OCEAN WATER UNDER TITAN'S CRUST
edit on 14-2-2015 by MKMoniker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: MKMoniker
a reply to: wildespace

Even scientists are saying Titan is "more Earth-like" than any other orb in our solar system

Most Earth-like doesn't necessarily mean most habitable. For Titan, astronomers refer to its landscape and geological features, such as stable bodies of liquids and river deltas.

That said, if Titan has an underground ocean, it might hold some primitive life.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: HawkeyeNation

I am reviving this 2012 thread, with new and relevant information:

www.space.com...
LIVING ON SATURN MOONS TITAN AND ENCELADUS
NASA astrobiologist says, "If you were in the outer solar system, and you had to make an emergency landing - go to Titan." It is the solar system's only moon with an atmosphere, composed of 95% nitrogen and 5% methane.

www.space.com...
HOW HUMANS COULD LIVE ON SATURN'S MOON TITAN (INFOGRAPHIC)
The atmosphere is un-breathable, but you wouldn't need a pressurized suit, just a breathing mask and protection from the cold. (This is on the surface.) And you'd have to contend with a 16 hour "day", and Saturn looming large and filling 1/3 to 1/2 the sky.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: MKMoniker

Protection from the cold? Titan has cryogenic temperatures, I doubt we have a technology to keep humans there warm for any appreciable amount of time. Certainly not during an EVA.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
nextbigfuture.com...

BEST COLONIZATION TARGET IN OUR SOLAR SYSTEM IS "TITAN"

Even if the surface is inhospitable, several of our moons have "underground" water reserves.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join