It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is 'Dowsing' or 'Divining'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Hi Everyone

I have come across this strange phenomonen on my internet travels and thought it was very interesting!

I have never heard of 'Dowsing' or 'Divining' before and wondered if anyone on here could enlighten me?

A link to wikipedia page is here.

Dowsing is a type of divination employed in attempts to locate ground water, buried metals or ores, gemstones, oil, gravesites,[1] and many other objects and materials, as well as so-called currents of earth radiation (Ley lines), without the use of scientific apparatus. Dowsing is also known as divining (especially in reference to interpretation of results),[2] doodlebugging[3] (in the US)[citation needed], or (when searching specifically for water) water finding, water witching or water dowsing.[4] There is no accepted scientific rationale behind dowsing, and there is no scientific evidence that it is effective.

Skeptics and some supporters believe that dowsing apparatus has no power of its own but merely amplifies slight movements of the hands caused by a phenomenon known as the ideomotor effect: people's subconscious minds may influence their bodies without their consciously deciding to take action. This would make the dowsing rods a conduit for the diviner's subconscious knowledge or perception.

Interesting stuff!

Mods: Please move if I have posted in the wrong forum, thanks

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
The Y stick....it`s really true,we used to call it a devining rod too....it is really hard to do,alot of concentrating involved.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Dowsing is still used by farmers to locate running water on their land. There are dowsers groups all over - you can join one and try it out. It's good fun. I know little about it other than it works.
edit on 14-1-2012 by christina-66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by benjamin2012

Dowsing is searching for underground water sources while loosely holding onto two bent rods & following which ever direction they point to/lead you.

Divining is any form of predicting the future through magickal/metaphysical means.

They are two completely separate things.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Dowsing works.

Have used it myself often to find water mains underground that are not shown on drawings or site layouts.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I taught myself to dowse (not hard if you can suspend skepticism and doubt temporarily) using two bent copper wires (the type they use when shaping bonsai treess). I can find underground springs, pipes, artifacts, just about anything. As a practising geologist who studied archaeology this obviously is quite a handy skill to have. Anyone can learn it quite easily if you're already sensitive to various energies then this should be a piece of cake.

Another thing you can find are leylines - the energy lines of the Earth. Locate an intersection of these within your area and this will most likely be the highest energy point.

You can also dowse with a pendulum and a map though I've never done much of this as I usually already know the general search area when I'm looking for something.

Divining is basically any form of fortune telling.
edit on 14/1/2012 by 1littlewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
My experience was deciding where to get the well driller to drill ..He suggested getting a dowser ...So I was at the golf course and there was a member who worked for CNCP telecommunications ...His job was finding buried cables ..Who would have thought . Anyhow he came out ,took a bent piece of cloths hanger and walked around the yard putting sticks in the ground ..
Then he shows me where to drill and tells me there is water at ?? feet but there is not much there and that there is all kinds at 92 ft ... Ok so I keep this to myself and the driller comes and does his thing ..I get home from work and he tells me he found all kinds of water at 92 ft ..He then tells me he found water at ??ft but there wasn't much there ...I was a bit skeptic about the whole thing before that but I believe done right by the right person it works ...peace

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
dowsing is used by the accomplished adepts to help convince the lay-people that there is a 'disturbance' in the Continium...

a prop must be used because the un-enlightened are fascinated with bells-&-whistles and any old twig or stick as a prop will work as a 'proof' that there is water or lost items under the surface

Divining is the Art of 'seeing' beyond the veil of our 5 senses...

it too can discern articles or water flow energies that disrupt the f;ow of electro-magnetic energy in the volume of space surrounding us in every direction... but most commonly under the surface of the ground we walk on
and because the Adept can 'see' through the opaque soil... the Dowser/Diviner is considered 'special'...

the mythical Jedi is an approximation of having this 'sense'... of a disturbance in the 'force'
i.e.: The Continium in old-speak

have a good MLK weekend

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
We have always called them ( Dowsing ) witching wires to find water in underground irrigation lines . Freaks people out who have never heard of it before and more so when you find the lines for them .

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by 1littlewolf

I'd agree with most of your comments but not this one:

Maybe you can explain what you mean?

I've been dowsing for years and I don't 'see' dowsing as 'fortune telling' at all. I dowse for water, I find water. I dowse for something lost? I find what's lost. I dowse for someone with medical conditions and usually find the problem. I don't see any 'fortune telling' in that - I see acting and getting results.

I've used the same pair of copper wire rods for years - I'll take a pic or find a pic and post a little later.

ADDED NOTE:

I found this pic online but it is the same type I've used for years.

peace

edit on 16-1-2012 by silo13 because: see above

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

I'd agree with most of your comments but not this one:

Maybe you can explain what you mean?

I've been dowsing for years and I don't 'see' dowsing as 'fortune telling' at all. I dowse for water, I find water. I dowse for something lost? I find what's lost. I dowse for someone with medical conditions and usually find the problem. I don't see any 'fortune telling' in that - I see acting and getting results.

I've used the same pair of copper wire rods for years - I'll take a pic or find a pic and post a little later.

peace

Hi Silo13, I completely agree with you. When I said divining was a form of fortune telling I was not including dowsing in that definition. I differentiate dowsing from divining. Apologies if it wasn't clear.

Although funnily enough, wikipedia's write up on dowsing does not make that differentiation (see opening sentence).

I use a pair of copperish type rods just like you minus the fancy handles. I basically just bought some wire from a shop at the markets which sells bonsais and bent them into shape with pliers. Despite being copper colored though I suspect they're something else cos they're a lot lighter than what you'd expect copper wire of that specific thickness to be.

love and light

edit on 17/1/2012 by 1littlewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Thanks for the information! I'd love to swap storied with you - if you've got some to share go ahead and I'll follow! At the moment I have baby (orphaned) bunnies I have to feed!

And thanks for clearing up the wiki thing. IMO dowsing is not divining either. Glad to hear we're on the same page.

top topics

join