It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does this sound right? UFOs and the reason behind their design.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Been thinking about Artificial gravity, as its the next step I believe in space travel. While looking it up on wiki it said that some scientist say we could create it using centrifugal force. A rotating space ship of sorts to create its own gravity.

en.wikipedia.org...

heres a concept pic.

Looks like the classic UFO saucer right?

I could be wrong I could have my science way off so forgive me if I am. Just something I was thinking about. Could the reason behind the UFO saucer design be because thats how it creates its artificial gravity? By having the center spin fast enough to create centrifugal force?
edit on 1/13/2012 by Mcupobob because: (no reason given)

EDIT: I'm not talking about propulsion through the use of Anti-gravity but creating artificial gravity through rotation.

A rotating spacecraft will produce the feeling of gravity on its inside hull. The rotation drives any object inside the spacecraft toward the hull, thereby giving the appearance of a gravitational pull directed outward. Often referred to as a centrifugal force, the "pull" is actually a manifestation of the objects inside the spacecraft attempting to travel in a straight line due to inertia.

The spacecraft's hull provides the centripetal force required for the objects to travel in a circle (if they continued in a straight line, they would leave the spacecraft's confines). Thus, the gravity felt by the objects is simply the reaction force of the object on the hull reacting to the centripetal force of the hull on the object, in accordance with Newton's Third Law.

From wiki article!

Sorry about the confusion

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.

edit on 14/1/2012 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Who really knows how saucers work? You can't even truly tell if that's a legitimate picture.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Ungib

The second pic? No its not legit, its just a UFO pic I got off of google. I was just using it as an example of what a saucer ship looks like.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Yeah, I know. That's why I was asking, how would anyone actually know how a saucer looks like? I wouldn't say that's an accurate picture, but who knows. I am curious as to how they operate though.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Mcupobob

Are you thinking that artificial gravity = anti-gravity? Artificial gravity would just make humans more comfortable in space since it would FEEL more like being on earth... but the centrifugal force cannot propel you directly;i.e., making its own "gravity" does not counteract the Earth's gravity.

The science is very basic physics... Force is equal to mass times acceleration (F=ma). When traveling in a circle, the acceleration (towards the center of the circle) is velocity squared over the radius of the circle (v^2 / r). So when traveling in a circle, the force is in the direction of the center of the circle and depends the size of the circle, the speed you are traveling, and your mass. This force is what will simulate (artificially generate) gravity.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by xenthuin

No I wasn't saying it had to do with propulsion, but gravity itself by making the person more comfortable in the ship insure they wouldn't be subjected to the detrimental effects of prolonged exposer to weightlessness. If the reason UFO saucers were round was to create a artificial gravity within the ship that would give us some insight into that the beings that inhabit them need gravity as we do.

Or if UFO saucers are not real but just a pop culture icon then we could have stumbled on to a reason to use them.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
As the above poster stated, artificial gravity /=/ anti-gravity. The former is a very real and pragmatic solution while the latter only exists in the minds of conspiracy theorists. Also, to create the type of gravitational fields like those found on Earth (1G), the UFO's would have to have a very significantly large angular velocity to offset a significantly smaller moment of inertia, but not by the same factor that angular velocity increases by. Personally, I haven't seen the typical UFO to be associated with a very large angular velocity, but rather translational velocity (some reports from as low as mach 10 to as high as >> speed of light).

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Ah, ok... That makes more sense
. The hypothetical beings are perhaps trying to make themselves more comfortable gravitationally wherever they go. An interesting idea!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Does this sound right? UFOs and the reason behind they're design

Actually, no. It's 'UFOs and the reason behind their design'

Okay... not being a nit picker but that did stick out when combined with the title in the form of a question, lol.

Assuming that UFOs are indeed basically spaceships, and that they have some form of mechanism that counters gravity, then the most likely avenue is in electromagnetics and a re-understanding of what gravity actually is.

I am no scientist but as a layman, I tend to lean in the direction of the 'electric universe' theory. I suggest the thunderbolts.info website for more information on this subject.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Not really about artificial gravity, but, there's this post about Stan Deyo explaining how anti-gravity works.

Stan Deyo explains antigravity

It's a really old post, and Stan Deyo made these anti-gravity claims decades ago, yet, for all his talk, we've yet to see anything.
I'm pretty positive due to the absence of seeing any results after he made these claims decades ago, and occasionally pops up making the claims again, yet we never see any real results, that he's total bunk.

It's still a fun thing to think about.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
The earth is basically one big magnet anyway with a spinning core that produces the magnetic fields around it . Counter the positive and negative and there you go . Free flight if you can control the positive effects and the negative effects of the fields in a craft . No more use of fossil fuels , economy goes in the tank and we all live happily ever after .

Positive charged particles light up at which pole for that aurora light show ???????

edit on 13-1-2012 by watchdog8110 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mcupobob

Looks like the classic UFO saucer right?

Well of course it looks like a 'Classic' saucer
That is Bob Lazar's 'sport model' from Area 51

As for anti-gravity... that would be useless for propulsion, because it , like anti matter/matter reactions would simply cancel each other out, most likely violently
Beside even if there was 'anti gravity' (I prefer gravity shielding as a term) it would only get you off the ground. The further from Earth you get the lesser the effect of gravity and you would soon run out of things to repel against.
That would hardly be of much use in interstellar space, now would it?

Artificial gravity created by centrifugal force would only be for practicality, because humans in zero G for years would loose muscle ability, but its not a propulsion source

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
This is a constant plea of mine. UFOs definitely are not using any form of gravity repulsion or creation. They are obviously canceling their mass. That is the only way they could make instant starts, stops and 90-degree turns. Anti-gravity concepts do not eliminate the phsical attributes of mass. You could say mass has weight!

Simply canceling gravity and floating over the earth does not give you the ability of the capabilities mentioned above of many witnessed UFO motions. Such an anti-gravity ship would leave you a smear on a bulkhead during an instantaneous maneuver.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I never said to use it as a propulsion source, or even suggested or mentioned anti-gravity. I was stating that maybe the design of the saucers was to create a artificial gravity inside the hull of the ship for the purpose of comfort for the aliens or whatever, because they have the same gravitational needs that we do.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Comparing the movement within the earths atmosphere and the rapid 90 degree directional changes , and the space bound sightings of similar direction changes . Are they or were they just as rapid or in a slower arc what has been observed .

Asking because of the magnetic field strength in earths atmosphere versus in space if that in fact is how the turns could be more gradual in space from the lack of the field strength . Projecting where the next planetary body will be and shoot for that location , then use it's field strength to either slow down or head off to another location ? Possible ? If we are going on mere speculation anyway .

Hop , skip and jump ?

new topics

top topics

join