It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I hacking paranoid?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I have this friend and she is pals with a hacker. Well, every so often she will bring up a subject that is close to things I look up online or talk about online. Good example, my rant, on here, about the grossly overrated Zooey Deschanel.

She [not zooey] said,out of the blue ‘I really like zooey deschanel’ and there have been other examples of very close coincidences.

Now, am I paranoid? Is my firewall doing its job? How do I check if such a thing is hacking me?

Oh, and if YOU are reading this….BUSTED!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
The current stats in the forums index page show 251,000 members at ATS at the moment. I suppose you've considered the possibility she, her friend or both are active members here themselves? Perhaps she's been reading your posts, knowing they are your posts, for quite some time. There is something to consider for a little light evening paranoia.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mandroids

Do you have a working and updated virus scanner on your PC?
Do you have a firewall, even if just Windows Firewall?
Do you run strange attachments from the internet?
Do you keep Windows updated via windows updates?
Do you allow other people unsupervised access to your PC?

ETA If you answered
Yes
Yes
No
Yes
No

Then you probably have little to worry about.

edit on 10/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
she's in the news at the moment so theres a chance she's just saying whats in the news

alot of "hackers" are people who can run a script and thats it but have you let her/him alone with your computer or just ran an email attachment from them then theres a chance they have put something on your computer

but if you want to test if they are watching what you look at then pick some obscure actress and start googling her regularly and if she starts to mention it then you know they've done something

if you are paranoid i'd backup my data run Dban on the drive to ensure theres nothing hiding on the drive then reinstall windows etc and restore your data (and if they suddenly ask strange questions about your computer you know
)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Yes you are paranoid..but it doesn't mean that you are not being hacked.

But unlikely. For what gain...are you a double naught spy?

Peace

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I wont name it, but i have a good security package and no one but me uses this computer. she does not know my username and does not know i use this. what is dban?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by spav5
Yes you are paranoid..but it doesn't mean that you are not being hacked.

But unlikely. For what gain...are you a double naught spy?

Peace

haha..agents...on here?? surely not...

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

dban=Darik's Boot And Nuke. It securely wipes hard drives of their data.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
oh is that a wash thing?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
This may or may not be what is going on: www.abovetopsecret.com...
I was having this problem myself...I will not go into specifics...Just know the technology is easily obtainable! Easy spy is not just for phones, it can also be used on PCs...

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise
This may or may not be what is going on: www.abovetopsecret.com...
I was having this problem myself...I will not go into specifics...Just know the technology is easily obtainable! Easy spy is not just for phones, it can also be used on PCs...

scary and nasty stuff. cynical. can this be put on with out you knowing? how do you scan for it?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I have just asked her point blank would she hack or spy ware me. oh boy.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by mandroids
I wont name it, but i have a good security package and no one but me uses this computer. she does not know my username and does not know i use this. what is dban?

have you ever left the computer unattended while there has been others around? and unless you can guarantee that fact you could consider that there is a chance that your computer has been compromised

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

You cannot scan for it......Do a web search for this type of spyware for PCs and phones...It is how many cases in divorce court are being argued!! Its amazing actually. There are some threads about how easy this can be done, sorry dont have time to pull up the threads, Ive gotta run to pick up my son from school....Good Luck.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
If you're knowledgeable about computers at all, Wireshark will capture and record all of the packets of information leaving your computer. You can check it for information like keystrokes, webpages, etc.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Scary stuff. thank you for the ideas.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

There are lots of ways she could be doing. Allowing another computer on your network is a bad idea for security if you do not trust them.. keep your wifi encypyted.

Its easy to insert software on a pc manually even if you have a pw on it.. xp to win7 can be hacked in easy. It does not matter how good your security software is. You can bypass it all by booting your drive from a linux disc.

Bitlocker is a good way of protecting some of your information...

join