It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Getr a pasta machine you won't be sorry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
They are awesome...Store bought pasta is never the same again...Gotta go make some wheat noodles...Oooh I can't wait...With a delicate cream sauce.

You can make classy Italian noodle dishes at home and save big bucks...Go for the hand crank model. It's better than the motorized ones...Some form of hand work is involved but it's great.

The best part is you can make your own gluten free pasta and not get nickel and dimed for it. The grocery stores are charging at least 10-15 percent more for gluten free pastas because more people are celiac.

Enjoy your own thai style rice noodles...aww yeah!

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Pasta machines rock!

I love mine! I got it second hand for 8 bucks!!
Marcato Pasta Makers, the best....

My nice little bow tie pasta recipe

How to make bow tie pasta with pictures

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I would love one and it is my next major spending trip.
I have been making pasta for awhile though, I just hand cut all of it.
Good thing I got a good pizza cutter.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Pasta machines rock. I have an Italian-made Atlas 150 hand-crank type. Besides regular pasta noodles I also use it for eggroll wrappers and won ton, also have made various types of crackers as well. Besides for the various pasta cutters that attach to the machine a couple different hand cutters are handy to have, I especially recommend a crinkled wheel-type cutter.

The pasta machine has a prominent place in my kitchen. Very useful item.

edit on 9-1-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

the bowtie pasta thread you shared = mind blown

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Well you're being a bit selective, here. Pasta making isn't just a tap of the magic wand.

You need to beat the death out of the ingredients, think of the hassle in terms of making bread by hand. Then the pasta must be hanged to let it dry (where are you going to do that ?). And the final result is absolutely, complete and utterly no better than most store bought, it can be more expensive too.

Sure, give it try. But I guarantee that, for most, your pasta machine will soon join the rest of the weird, wonderful and unused implements of your kitchen.

Don't believe me ? Try your local charity shop for a pasta machine ... people donate them regularly.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by LeBombDiggity

I agree pasta-making may not be for most folks, but it really is not difficult. I star your post for prompting me to address the pasta-making process.

The ingredients for most pastas is simply one egg and a bit of flour. Break open an egg over about 2/3 cup of flour and mix it lightly with a fork until it is in large and somewhat sticky crumbs - less than a minute. you can do this very easily with a food processor and may be the recommended way to make larger batches. Next, press it together, flatten a bit, and feed it into the machine on its largest roller setting. Double or triple fold the dough and feed it back through a couple times (if necessary) until it is workable, then feed it through the rollers progressively changing to a thinner setting until you reach desired thickness - different kinds of pasta need to be thincker than others. You can then run it through the cutter/shaper roller or cut it with a hand tool or knive. That usually takes me from 10 to 15 minutes. Then it can be hung to dry or used right away.

For trying pasta I have several dowl rods sticking out the side of one of my cabinets to hang the pasta on. There are also "trees" that set on a counter top for this purpose. If you have never used a pasta machine before I suggest watching a YouTube video to see it demonstrated to help decide if you want to use one. Find demos with both electric and manual crank machines. I prefer a manual crank so I can feel the dough's characteristics.

Granted, a pasta-maker may be too much trouble for many people but for others it is indispensible, though it is not a kitchen item typically used daily or even weekly in a great many cases. I find it versatile and very useful for many applications.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
don't have a pasta arm? easy fix right here

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeBombDiggity
Don't believe me ? Try your local charity shop for a pasta machine ... people donate them regularly.

That's where mine went. They are incredibly messy and I don't think the quality of the pasta was in any way better than store bought. I still have the wooden hanger, though. Why don't I use it as kindling?

I dunno!

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by blair56

Thanks

Funny side not to that day, I actually pulled my back on the second batch of pasta I had to knead. LOL I have a a pinched nerve and well kneading bread is work lol

Thanks, it was fun to make though

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

don't have a pasta arm? easy fix right here

OMG! I am so doing that!!

I have been saying how I want a nice hanging rack lol well I have plenty of these and they will do just fine!

Awesome!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
OMG! I am so doing that!!

I have been saying how I want a nice hanging rack lol well I have plenty of these and they will do just fine!

Awesome!

I use a few old wooden broomsticks spanning a couple of chairs.

I still have my hand crank pasta machine available for donation to anyone who wants it, I have switched to using the pasta attachment on my Kitchen Aid stand mixer sometime ago.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by RightWingAvenger

I have so many kitchen toys I'm running out of kitchen. LOL I have a sandwich maker, waffle maker, Foreman grill, professional stand mixer, blender/slushie machine, ice cream machine, sno cone machine, kids Easy Bake oven, rotisserie(my favorite-it was $100 but because it was a floor model I got it for $25 I use it so often, it was the best $25 I ever spent!), name it, I probably have it, and I'm not done collecting. I want a donut machine, cotton candy machine, professional grill for the outside, my daughter wants a cake ball machine, dehydrater. If there's an infomercial for it, or Ronco in front of the name, chances are you can imagine me drooling over it. LOL I want to get the sausage making attachment and pasta attachment for my mixer. That would save me some Ronco bucks.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus I have switched to using the pasta attachment on my Kitchen Aid stand mixer sometime ago.

I received a hand crank for christmas and a kitchen aid for stand mixer for my bday lol is the pasta attachment worth it? I've been doin fine with the crank and i've never seen the attachment do work before.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

I received a hand crank for christmas and a kitchen aid for stand mixer for my bday lol is the pasta attachment worth it? I've been doin fine with the crank and i've never seen the attachment do work before.

It is much easier to use. I had a larger version when I had my restaurant and would recommend the attachment to anyone. The typical on also has a linguini roller and a angel hair roller as well as the standard flat roller. The only attachment I do not think works that well is the ravioli roller. It tends to make a mess and I prefer to use the flat roller and then cut my own filled pasta by hand because I like them on the larger size.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus I have switched to using the pasta attachment on my Kitchen Aid stand mixer sometime ago.

Wow what awesome gifts!

I told my fiancee to get me kitchen things for holidays. He said he thought you weren't suppose to buy women those items and I told him if he didn't I'd be offended. I don't mind gifts that I can use!

This is my latest creation

Mblah's Homemade Fettucini

top topics

join