It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Censorship Looks Like

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Until I lived in a country without free speech, I didn't know how precious it was. ATS' recent attempt to show what censorship looks like is very clever (see thread).

Here is what this censorship looks like in real life, as we see it regularly while we're surfing the web:

Filling out this form is completely pointless, as we have seen for ourselves. Three months later you get a standard reply that says, "we decided to keep this site blocked".

Right now a journalist is spending 6 months in prison here for committing the crime of investigative journalism. He reported negatively on a powerful businessman. I quit blogging because if I say something that annoys someone, I could go to jail. I have no rights here. And I'm in one of the most progressive and free middle eastern countries.

Americans are watching their freedoms vanish so rapidly that even Al Jazeera has reported on it. (Link)

If we allow our freedom of speech to be taken away, ALL IS LOST.
edit on 7-1-2012 by Schkeptick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Schkeptick

Well actually this is what a real ICE seizure notice looks like:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I find it very ironic that all of these new Americanized NAZI logos use the Bald Eagle as their center piece.

The eagle has long stood for freedom, strength and solidarity in North America.

No longer is it that meaning as it is now being used to say "Hey, everything is ok here. We are flying the eagle to show that you are still free. Move along now."

Whenever a new Citizen Suppression Department in the name of freedom pops up, there flies the eagle.

Wait, didn't the original NAZIS use the eagle as their logo as well? Yup, I believe so.

BS

Peace

edit on 8-1-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
OK, so before I get even more paranoid, did this happen to anyone else? - As I refreshed a thread here on ATS, that ICE seizure notice popped up for a split second before the page displayed. Did that happen to anyone else here? I saw that ATS has their own version of that as a clever marketing ploy. I'm hoping that was it?.....

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder

I'm an American but I don't live the USA currently. I live in the Sultanate of Oman, and I posted an actual screen that we get here when we make internet searches.
edit on 8-1-2012 by Schkeptick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Schkeptick

Americans are watching their freedoms vanish so rapidly that even Al Jazeera has reported on it. (Link).
edit on 7-1-2012 by Schkeptick because: (no reason given)

Made me chuckle and die inside at the same time...

S&F

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Schkeptick

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder

I'm an American but I don't live the USA currently. I live in the Sultanate of Oman, and I posted an actual screen that we get here when we make internet searches.
edit on 8-1-2012 by Schkeptick because: (no reason given)

That's amazing man. See the thing is over in the states nobody thinks this can happen to them. They think it's science fiction really, without knowing that realy censorship has been happening on a daily basis for years in other countries. State side Americans are idiots, I want to get out after university.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by smileyface64261

Happened to me yesterday when i tried to check out a thread. I saw someone else post that it happened to them too

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by VinnyPNY

Happened to me yesterday when i tried to check out a thread. I saw someone else post that it happened to them too

Yes, it's ATS sending a more than subtle warning to its members, that ATS is at RISK of closure should these new bills get passed.

BTW, to the OP that posted the image of the blocked site, for heavens sake DON'T enter your info and submit any FORM on the page! Bad enough that they've already got your IP address for visiting, but filling that form is adding you to big WATCH LIST!
edit on 8-1-2012 by SpaceJockey1 because: spelling

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by RadarMan

Wow, for a such a simple post it is quite insightful and spot on. Wish I cold just give you stars so people could see the importance of the statement. That's what EVERYONE thinks. I get asked to stop spouting facts because it makes people uncomfortable, but the reality is they don't want to concern themselves with it and the only time anything will happen is when it's in our faces constantly and blatantly and even then...

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
this is how it looks here in the UAE , actually it has been there ever since we had the internet

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
The eagle stands for freedom. How dare they deface the eagles value like that.
edit on 8-1-2012 by LonelyGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

in my country Bolivia there are no even one site censored. because the goverment thinks it's useless to spend money censoring and controlling. I think I have more freedom in my country than in America.

time to revolt americans!! do your part and recover your freedom.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Was I the only one who looked at the popup closely? It said "What If?" in the corner!

Sheesh, you kids have had your brains melted by 15 years of Pokemon! Not to mention what they put on TV.

"Kill your television." -Francis Vincent Zappa

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by smileyface64261
OK, so before I get even more paranoid, did this happen to anyone else? - As I refreshed a thread here on ATS, that ICE seizure notice popped up for a split second before the page displayed. Did that happen to anyone else here? I saw that ATS has their own version of that as a clever marketing ploy. I'm hoping that was it?.....

It happened to every member of ATS. It was a protest by ATS. Protesting SOPA.

It did say "What if'.." And if you scrolled down it offered an explanation as well as a link to continue on to ATS.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

That is the official thread posted by Bill ( Skepticoverlord ) explaining everything.

Also, before you panic again( it did surprise me until I saw the "what if", read this too because they are planning more.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 9-1-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join