It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help educate a Canadian. Can the Democratic Party put someone else on the ticket for 2012?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

Yes the Dems could run someone else against the sitting President.

The issue this then brings up is that the President would have to go through the Primary process again and win the Party's Nomination. I am sure it has happened before, just not in recent memory. Plus such an act also gets interpreted as "weakening' the party. With another Candidate of the same party running against the sitting President, it opens the party up to attacks from Republicans and portrays the party as divided.

It's a lot of nonsense is what it is all is. Blind Party loyalty rather than caring what is best for the country.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Yes and they are trying to do just that...and their certified to be on 12 state ballots.

Source

A mysteriously funded, highly organized effort to secure a place on the 2012 presidential election ballot for a third party candidate has ties to President Obama and top Democrats, WND has learned.

The group, calling itself Americans Elect, or AE, seems designed to appear like a massive, grassroots effort involving millions of citizens acting to draft a third party candidate.

(same source)

AE seeks to hold its own nominating convention on the Internet this June to select an independent presidential and vice-presidential candidate. The group says any registered voter can sign up to participate in the June convention.

(same source)

AE reportedly has raised more than $22 million so far and already has been certified to be placed on the ballot in 12 states now, including California.

(same source)

Michael Arno is senior adviser to the Podesta Group lobbying and public relations firm, which was founded by John Podesta, who directed Obama’s transition into the White House in 2008.

Podesta is director of the Center for American Progress, which is reportedly highly influential in helping to craft White House policy.

A Time magazine article profiled the influence of Podesta’s Center for American Progress in the formation of the Obama administration, stating that “not since the Heritage Foundation helped guide Ronald Reagan’s transition in 1981 has a single outside group held so much sway.”

edit on 6-1-2012 by Daedal because: Edit

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Meh if his campaign manager was clever, he'd convince him to put Hillary on the ticket as VP.

I mean come on, how often does a President get to make history twice? First black POTUS, who 4 years later picks the first women VP?

Political genius, the beltway would eat it up, so would democratic voters and a landslide win would surely take place.

Although methinks he's going to win anyway; considering the GOP have as much charisma this year as a fist.

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by GAOTU789
reply to post by LongbottomLeaf

But a great measure of a persons character is being able to admit they are wrong. If the majority of Democrats felt they made a mistake, couldn't they try and rectify it?

We Democrats aren't that dissatisfied.

Most of the folks posting here are NOT registered Democrats (I am) -- so please don't take the board's opinion of him as a reflection of the general American sentiment. Obama's approval rating is currently about 47%, but that's for all parties. Over 70% of REPUBLICANS disapprove, (if I'm remembering correctly) but among Democrats his disapproval rating is under 40%. I don't think the "Hillary on the ticket/Hillary taking over" scenarios are likely, though I think she'd have strong support for a 2016 run.

There ARE some other Democrat presidential campaigns, but none has much support, much money, or enough signatures to get on the ballots of all the states. You can see them here: 2012.presidential-candidates.org...

One of the ugly (no way in heck) contenders is Randal Terry (yes, that one) who's running as a Democrat. I don't know why, but he is.[
edit on 6-1-2012 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
We saw something similar in '68 when Bobby Kennedy was very popular for replacing LBJ's possible re-election. He knew he could not defeat Bobby so withdrew from the elections. Perhaps he also knew what they had in mind for Kennedy and didn't want to ride in on an assassination, again, when it would otherwise have been impossible to defeat Bobby.

Despite being a dissappointment to many people Obama still has a lot of support. Depending on who they are up against it might call for dressing-up the ticket with a new VP. What if Paul actually gets the nomination and is riding a huge wave of popular support by then? Obama will be faced with conducting a real campaign in that instance. Who else does the GOP have that people get excited about? Without someone like Paul it is just a matter to the voters to select Obama or "someone else." He really doesn't have any great opposition in the mainstream, unless...

We see the GOP putting lipstick on a pig as they did with Santorum in Iowa. If they happen to find the right color eyeshadow there might be a contest.

edit on 7-1-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

reply to post by LongbottomLeaf

But a great measure of a persons character is being able to admit they are wrong. If the majority of Democrats felt they made a mistake, couldn't they try and rectify it?

I totally agree but that judge of character does not exist in American politics. Just ask George W Bush if he made any mistakes during his presidency...

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

reply to post by METACOMET

Ya I appreciate that. But why would it be unlikely? If the majority of the party is unhappy with his performance, couldn't they do something?

Would Hillary be happy with just the VP role? The Clinton's are very savvy political people( and ruthless ), if they had a chance of taking Obama out and off the ticket, wouldn't they try it?

I really don't think the majority of the party is unhappy with him...or else you would see a challenger.

His approval rating is at something like 47%...he is hardly in a bad position for re-election...and if the party supported a challenger that would just fracture the base and cause a circus like we are now seeing with the Republicans nomination race.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I don't see why they couldn't replace him as the official candidate, but it wont happen. Plus, he would just run on his own if that were to happen.

There just is not enough dissatisfaction to do that. I hate to bring out the ol "Bush did this" bit. But consider for a moment that Bushes ratings were much much lower yet he still got elected. So, people would have to be REALLY dissatisfied for such a thing to even be considered...

It wont be considered.

edit on 7-1-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Meh if his campaign manager was clever, he'd convince him to put Hillary on the ticket as VP.

I mean come on, how often does a President get to make history twice? First black POTUS, who 4 years later picks the first women VP?

Political genius, the beltway would eat it up, so would democratic voters and a landslide win would surely take place.

Although methinks he's going to win anyway; considering the GOP have as much charisma this year as a fist.

~Keeper

This scenario just may happen, but to declare it at this point in time is completely premature. No one has gone on record to declare who their choice in VP will be. If Obama did it now, he would look like a complete idiot who was desperate for headlines.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join