It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Greek Cleric feared dead in Crash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Breaking story about a helicopter crash in Greece which appears to have taken the life of a senior Greek Othodox cleric.

news.bbc.co.uk
Rescuers hunting a missing helicopter carrying a senior Greek Orthodox church leader have found wreckage and bodies at sea off north Greece, officials say.

Patriarch Petros VII of Alexandria, the spiritual leader of Greek Orthodox Christians in Africa, was among some 16 people aboard the Chinook craft.

The helicopter went missing about two hours into the flight from Athens.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

As the story is still breaking, there is no mention of how the helicopter may have met it's end, but considering that a very senior Greek Orthodox cleric was on board, and the Orthodox links with Russia - will speculation turn to links with recent 'terrorist' attacks ?

More, as I find it.

This link adds that it was a Greek army helicopter:
www.news24.com...

It's beginning to propogate more widely now, but no new information:
www.turkishpress.com...
www.mpa.gr...

[edit on 11-9-2004 by 0951]
[edit on 9-11-2004 by Valhall]

[edit on 11-9-2004 by 0951]

[edit on 9-13-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I tried to find a logical link but no, I don't think there is one between terrorism and this incident.

Considering my experience with Greek and Greeks it's a wonder the helicopter was in flight for 2h anyway!

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Patriarch Petros VII of Alexandria has been killed along with 16 other people in a helicopter crash off the coast of northern Greece. So what impact would this have if he was one of the most senior figures in the Greek Orthodox Church?

BBC NEWS

Patriarch Petros VII of Alexandria, the spiritual leader of Greek Orthodox Christians in Africa, was heading north from Athens when contact was lost.

He was going to a monastic community on Mount Athos for a religious event.

Aircraft and ships mounted a rescue operation which located wreckage and bodies in the nearby Aegean Sea.

No cause has yet been established for the crash, which occurred when conditions were good.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by shoo
I tried to find a logical link but no, I don't think there is one between terrorism and this incident.

Considering my experience with Greek and Greeks it's a wonder the helicopter was in flight for 2h anyway!

Can you please tell me your expirience about Greek? (Greece) and Greeks ?
As a Greek i must tell you that it was an Army CH-47D/MH-47E CHINOOK Helicopter Bought and Made in USA a year and a half ago, the pilot was a trainer of them, and he was recently come from US training.

It is the same Helicopter is used for transportation of prime minister of Greece in case of some emergency.

Off course that doesnt say nothing about the accident itself, the weather at the time off accident was severe and we dont know yet if it was a man or machine fault.

Patriarch Petros VII of Alexandria, the spiritual leader of Greek Orthodox Christians in Africa and he was the youngest Patriarch in Greek Orthodox Church died at age of 56, along with his brother in same Helicopter.

Greece's defence minister has sacked the country's air force chief over an hours long delay in launching a search for a crashed helicopter i and at the moment Coast guard and special army recovery units are looking for evidence in place of accident.

As for you Shoo and your comment
for the 2 hour flight... that is a no comment for me, just ask your buddies who came in Greece for the Olympics if it is safe to fly and been here !
Thanx

[edit on 12-9-2004 by scout]

[edit on 12-9-2004 by scout]

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   
My experience with Greek and Greeks are more than a 2 weeks holiday. It's a long time experience with the attitude towards life, daily life, family life and an experience about business relations.
Sorry to say so but as a result of this I had to give that sarcastic remark. Well, of course it was a bit too drastic but all in all I really have to wonder they made it at least 2h

By the way. "My buddies" travelled to Greek by german airlines and that the Olympics weren't safe at all had been proofed several times. Just luck that no terrorists actually tried to do something.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by shoo
My experience with Greek and Greeks are more than a 2 weeks holiday. It's a long time experience with the attitude towards life, daily life, family life and an experience about business relations.
Sorry to say so but as a result of this I had to give that sarcastic remark. Well, of course it was a bit too drastic but all in all I really have to wonder they made it at least 2h

By the way. "My buddies" travelled to Greek by german airlines and that the Olympics weren't safe at all had been proofed several times. Just luck that no terrorists actually tried to do something.

First off all... its Greece not Greek....(that shows how much expirienced you are)
Your personal relations and expirience depends alot on your attitude too, so lets stay and hear the public opinion and not a standalone persons opinion, who from what i see is a prejudiced person.

As for the Olympics, u know what is the truth....if they were safe or not... all the world say it.. and i im proud if it.. as i im working as a Security Consultand for my goverment and i had coop with American and British people for the Olympic Games Safety !
As for your last lines....we are lucky that the terrorists didnt do anything.....Just think why they would do something to us? And who they are after.....
Ohh yes and your friend traveled German airlines??? Why they dont use a US airline?

Lets stop it here, and everyone stays with its own opinion, after all it was a news thread, and not where is safe and where isnt.
Thank you !

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by scout
First off all... its Greece not Greek....(that shows how much expirienced you are)

What has the english spelling of Greece to do with what we are talking about? That was an inconsiderate remark, scout.

Ohh yes and your friend traveled German airlines??? Why they dont use a US airline?

Well, maybe because US airlines don't have that much routes between Germany and Greece, eh?

Sorry, had to reply, yours was just too embarrassing

top topics

join