It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tourism Ministry may revise Spa Ban

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Tourism Ministry may revise Spa Ban

minivannews.com

The government is looking to revise the circular issued late last week requesting that resorts, hotels and guesthouses close down their spas.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
The Islamic state of Maldives equates the Wellness, Relaxation and Massage scene to "Brothels" and "Prostitution". Their decree issued last week announced the banning of all Spas and Wellness-Facilities Island-Wide, causing outrage in the countries Tourism industry. The country depends on Tourism for their economy. Because of the outrage, the Government is now re-considering their ban.

This again shows how strongly western and muslim culture differ and that clashes of interest are likely to increase as the world more and more interacts. Im adding this humorous picture to exemplify the two perspectives:

minivannews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 2-1-2012 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
That is such a great cartoon lol . Both sides are right haha

As for the tourism , yes i am glad they unbanned it . It was silly to ban in the first place.

When you hit them in the pocket books they really do react.

We can all take valuable lessons from this and the power of a whole .

They don't get hurt with emotions, values , ethics , religion , princpals.

But money lol , when that dips so does there sanity

You are right op , this does open more doors as the world interacts more. This is positive steps i believe in a unified earth , and a more understand and tolerant one , for the future generations

"The Islamic state of Maldives equates the Wellness, Relaxation and Massage scene to "Brothels" and "Prostitution". "

Pfft i beg to differ, only one who hasn't visited such places would say that ! Its much harer to get sex in spa's then it is in brothels lol
edit on 2-1-2012 by yourboycal2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourboycal2

Pfft i beg to differ, only one who hasn't visited such places would say that ! Its much harer to get sex in spa's then it is in brothels lol

If they think Spas are anything like brothels they could use some Rest and Relaxation themselves.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by yourboycal2

If they think Spas are anything like brothels they could use some Rest and Relaxation themselves.

I guess that would depend on the "spa" wouldn't it? Some so called spays are just massage parlors, some so called massage parlors are brothels.
I know tourism around the world is including more and more paid sex acts and it certainly can get out of hand.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

I guess that would depend on the "spa" wouldn't it? Some so called spays are just massage parlors, some so called massage parlors are brothels.
I know tourism around the world is including more and more paid sex acts and it certainly can get out of hand.

I posted this piece of news because Ive actually been to Spas in the Maldives. My reason for doing so was to look for rest and relaxation, not Sex. I dont think family-tourist Hotels have something else in mind.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
My concern or interest here is not that of brothels, bath houses or spas, But more to and of the following...

“We can only sustain our economy by following the moderate form [of Islam] which has been in the Maldives until now,” she told Haveeru. “We [ministers] are labelled anti-Islamic because we support the tolerant form [of Islam]. But that label is a disgrace to our parents as well.”

* stricken aspects mine

? huh ?

Our Religion, our 'Faith', our Belief System is such that we'll ultimately alter the same in order to accommodate 'tourism' and or to bolster 'our economy'.

?
?

Nothing at all against the 'religion' of Islam, hence the stricken portions of said quote ... but mOar to that of any and All organized religious organizations, and or efforts akin to the same having done just that over the course of time in order to propagate and perpetuate their further existence and acceptance throughout.

*change the 'rules' to suit the time(s)*

[sarcasm]guess it's good to see nothing's changed much over the years[/sarcasm]

separation of powers my ace. religion and politics once again show themselves as the ill-begotten bedfellows they are.

:shk:

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

From a quick google.

Human trafficking in the Maldives

The Maldives is primarily a destination country for migrant workers from Bangladesh, and, to a lesser extent, India, some of whom are subjected to trafficking in persons, specifically forced labor. Some women are also subjected to forced prostitution. An unknown number of the 110,000 foreign workers currently working in the Maldives – primarily in the construction and service sectors – face fraudulent recruitment practices, confiscation of identity and travel documents, withholding or non-payment of wages, or debt bondage. Thirty thousand of these workers do not have legal status in the country, though both legal and illegal workers were vulnerable to conditions of forced labor. Diplomatic sources estimate that half of the 35,000 Bangladeshis in the Maldives went there illegally and that most of these workers are probably victims of trafficking. Migrant workers pay $1,000 to $4,000 in recruitment fees in order to migrate to the Maldives; such high recruitment costs increase workers’ vulnerability to forced labor, as concluded in a recent ILO report.[1]

A small number of women from Sri Lanka, Thailand, India, China, the Philippines, Eastern Europe, and former Soviet Union countries are recruited for forced prostitution in Male, the capital. A small number of underage Maldivian girls reportedly are trafficked to Male from other islands for involuntary domestic servitude; this is a corruption of the widely acknowledged practice where families send Maldivian girls to live with a host family in Male for educational purposes.[1]

Hamid Fathuhulla, Deputy Controller of the Department of Immigration and Emigration of the Maldives acknowledged the situation in the "Maldives Paper" dated July 2009, and responded officially.

the Department of Immigration and Emigration of the Maldives has taken a stand against trafficking to end this modern practice of slavery

edit on 2/1/12 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join