It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit the most heavely armed city in the country?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I hear a lot about southeners having pride in owning guns. It's new years here in Michigan and I live in the suburbs across from Detroit. I sat here and listend to gunshots for 6 hours. It started about 11pm and is just winding down about 5 am. It sounded like WW3. At the peak could hear 5-10 guns at any moment emptying whole clips. In a city where half the population is illiterate it's kind of unsettling to know there are that many guns.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by wantsome

So other than you being scared of the Bill of Rights and probably your own shadow how many people actually got shot in Detroit tonight? How many get shot on an average night?

Could you also clarify your own experience with handing guns so as we know you didn't actually hear fireworks as apposed to gun shots?

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Its like that every year, Ive been Detroit LEO for 17 years now. This year was light actually, although there have been around last count 6 or seven shootings. 5 people were shot at one club on the east side.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by EndGovtCorruption

No fireworks, its all gunfire.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ANOMALY502

Thanks for the clarification, I am sure if any would know it would be you. I don't think illiteracy has much to do with it as the OP tried to imply but stupidity definitely is a factor.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   

I dont know what factor illiteracy plays, Im sure there are plenty of country folk firing there weapons off too. Its just a drunken tradition that gets carried on year after year.
edit on 1-1-2012 by ANOMALY502 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Happy New Year! I just finished 18 hours attached to an ER in SW Michigan. The Zoo was relatively tame last night. No shootings, at least none coming to our ER for saving. Your story is a telling note. The question for you is can you too protect yourself and your family. Your story is completely indicative of the potential for serious business under the right conditions to take place where you live. Clif High @ halfpasthuman.com (the web bot) has an interesting suggestion called "Your destiny arrives in March. Are you ready?". halfpasthuman.com... Clif talks about potential and probability. It is simply prudent to be prepared for any shift in the paradigm that might bring unrest. The gunshots are proof that things could get dicey with the right potential. Something to ponder as the variables, which are many, keep us on the edge of our seats with the arrival of the new year. Good luck to everybody this year. We might need it. It would be interesting to hear from others around our grand republic regarding gunfire on new year's eve. I heard it said weeks ago that how you spend the first day of the year will be correlative to the rest of your year. I saw a lot of people tonight that didn't fare very well, including the officers that had to baby sit the unfortunate ones. I was working and grateful for that. Stay safe people. Stand on equal ground with the crazies. Just in case...

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
i hate to tell you but when you live in the suburbs of Detroit your a Detroiter. so when you call us illiterate your dissing yourself. literacy and guns have nothing to do with each other.

i had gun shots all around me and im closer to ann arbor

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I don’t live in Detroit, I live outside the communist republic of Chicago. From what I understand the cop’s from Detroit don’t want to live there. If I lived, and I do, outside a gang banger heavy, crime riddled neighborhood, I would get lots of dogs and guns, and I did.

edit on 1-1-2012 by D1Useek because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-1-2012 by D1Useek because: wrong wording

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Where I live I found it comforting to know ,most of my neighbors own firearms.
They were everywhere for about 10 minutes and then stopped.
Smart enough to know not to waste ammo

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by D1Useek

Ah yes, the People's Republic of Chicago. I am glad I don't have the unfortunate circumstance of living there. Still, it is in no way a rightful comparison to the plight of Detroit. Chicago for the most part remains a functioning city with pockets of abstract poverty and wanton violence. Detroit looks like a bombed out city with little to no hope for many that live within the inner city. There are some dangerous areas in Chicago. Some areas of Chicago that come to mind would have to be Englewood on the Southside and parts of the Westside. Gangs run amok in a lot of the neighborhoods outside Down Town which I affectionately call the "Green Zone." Anywhere beyond that, and it gets kind of hairy. Here is a report from one year ago about the violence in Chicago.

Now, take the report above with a grain of salt because Chicago in no way, shape, or form can be compared to war zones like Iraq or Afghanistan. Still a telling report, but not on the level of those places. No mortar attacks, roadside bombs, or suicide bombers. Just a bunch of knuckleheads with itchy trigger fingers. Look on the bright side, Rahmbo aka Mayor Rahm Emanuel has things under control. A couple of days ago there was a news article citing that violent crime like murders was down for the year.

Chicago is close to ending 2011 with fewer murders than last year, police say

Chicago is close to ending 2011 with fewer murders than last year, which saw the lowest number of those violent crimes in nearly a half a century, according to the Police Department.

From January through Tuesday, there were 423 murders in Chicago compared to 431 through the same period last year, according to preliminary statistics released by the department.

Just a mere day after that report, there was a total of 9 shootings and resulting in 2 murders with one being off-duty Chicago Police officer providing security at a convenient store.

9 shot, 2 killed, Thursday night

At least nine people were shot across Chicago Thursday night, including four teens and an off-duty police officer, according to police.

The officer, 41-year-old Clifton Lewis, died of his wounds. He was shot about 8:30 p.m. at a store near Austin Boulevard and Division Street.

What a town! It has greasy palmed politicians to gangs running the streets with near impunity. Nice place to visit, but I would not want to live there. Taxes are to high, rents are through the roof, and gangs roam the streets armed to the teeth. I am actually surprised Chicago has not suffered a similar fate like Detroit and other rustbelt cities?

edit on 1-1-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

I think I would be more scared of the bullet's that are raining back down because idiots dont realize shooting into the air that what goes up, must come down. Secondly the 2nd amendment says we have a right to bear arms. Being a moron and discharging a loaded firearm while in a populated area is not covered.

The idiots who did that should have their guns taken away and hit in the head with a tack hammer for being stupid.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Some of the bullets do come down with enough velocity to penetrate car roofs and hoods, and aluminum awnings....I know this first hand.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

I know what gunshots sound like I own several guns myself. I hear gunshots from Detroit almost every day of the year.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DankKing420

The literacy rate is NOT from the suburbs it's from the inner city. Theres been a few write ups in the paper over the years about it. Half of the city of Detroit is illiterate. I just don't like the idea of living so close to that many dumb assess owning guns.

edit on 1-1-2012 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

A few of these areas around the country would be better off if the citizens were walled in and napalmed.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Here is a little taste of what its like to be in the middle of the "festivities"

www.myfoxdetroit.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOMALY502
Here is a little taste of what its like to be in the middle of the "festivities"

www.myfoxdetroit.com...
Yeah exactly what I was talking about. Those EMS guys had of been freaking out. It sounded like someone was standing right next to them and shooting.
edit on 3-1-2012 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

top topics

join