It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STRATFOR ... does the AntiSec hack show 75,000+ credit card details being stored illegally ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I have no idea personally what the eventual repercussions will be following the massive release of credit card info by Antisec following their recent hack on StratFor.

However, I do have one question that hopefully someone will be able to answer.

According to a quick Wiki summary

Strategic Forecasting, Inc., more commonly known as STRATFOR, is a global intelligence company ...

and

The company's primary focus is to help clients with security.

and yet from what I've read regarding the 75,000 CC's released, not only were StratFor holding such information as the credit card number and expiry date ... which I guess is not that unusual as we give that info out routinely during each credit card transaction ...but perhaps someone could explain WHY StratFor also had access to, and stored, the credit Card Code Validation (CCV) number that is printed on the reverse side of the card just above the owners signature. This code is also referenced using CVV2 and other designations.
Now my understanding was that the CCV was primarily used to ensure the "validity" of the main credit card number and that

The ID number is used only at the point of sale and is not retained by the merchant.

and furthermore

All merchants who accept credit cards are required to conform to CISP standards, which are straightforward when it comes to CVV2 numbers: CISP compliance forbids the CVV2 number from being retained after a transaction is completed.

And yet here we have StratFor compiling a database on 75,000+ credit cards with FULL details INCLUDING the all important CCV number !! In complete violation of the CISP compliance protocol to which they MUST have agreed to abide by ... clearly an ILLEGAL practice on their part

In other words, they know EVERYTHING about each of those 75,000+ credit cards ... WHY ?????
edit on 30/12/11 by tauristercus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Interesting, and an excellent question indeed. I await an answer from someone who is more learned than me in this matter.

So not only did they get jacked, they got their illegal activities exposed too. Nice!
Also as you mentioned, the repercussions, I too wonder what they will be in the long run. Lawsuits from clients maybe. Or more likely nothing.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowLink
Interesting, and an excellent question indeed. I await an answer from someone who is more learned than me in this matter.

So not only did they get jacked, they got their illegal activities exposed too. Nice!
Also as you mentioned, the repercussions, I too wonder what they will be in the long run. Lawsuits from clients maybe. Or more likely nothing.

Wait, what, someone STOLE their stolen stuff?

Oh, the irony!

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
With STRATFOR having been exposed as compiling a very large ... and apparently very illegal ... database containing ALL their customers credit card details, you have to bet your bottom dollar that they aren't the only company in the world to be doing this ... just the unfortunate company caught red handed in an illegal act.

I'm now beginning to become very concerned at just HOW many organizations that I've had credit card dealings with over the years are doing the very same thing with their customers (and mine) credit card details.

Is there NO organization left in the world that we can fully trust ? Sure doesn't seem like it anymore

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Hmmmm .... the complete lack of interest by ATS members as to why STRATFOR were illegally accumulating complete credit card information on their customers is surprising to say the least ... especially so considering this is "supposed" to be a conspiracy site.
Oh well, I guess there must be more important things to ponder over.

top topics

join