It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA Has Suspended Drone Attacks In Pakistan, U.S. Officials Say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   

CIA Has Suspended Drone Attacks In Pakistan, U.S. Officials Say
By Ken Dilanian, Los Angeles Times
December 23, 2011, 4:48 p.m.

The undeclared halt in CIA attacks in Pakistan, now in its sixth week, aims at reversing a sharp erosion in trust after deadly incidents, including the mistaken attack on soldiers by U.S. gunships.

A Pakistani security officer examines a U.S. surveillance drone that crashed in the town of Chaman near the Afghan border in August. (Asghar Achakzai, AFP/Getty Images / December 23, 2011)

In an effort to mend badly frayed relations with Pakistan, the CIA has suspended drone missile strikes on gatherings of low-ranking militants believed to be involved in cross-border attacks on U.S. troops or facilities in Afghanistan, current and former U.S. officials say.

The undeclared halt in CIA attacks, now in its sixth week, is aimed at reversing a sharp erosion of trust after a series of deadly incidents, including the mistaken attack by U.S. gunships that killed 24 Pakistani soldiers last month.

The pause also comes amid an intensifying debate in the Obama administration over the future of the CIA's covert drone war in Pakistan. The agency has killed dozens of Al Qaeda operatives and hundreds of low-ranking fighters there since the first Predator strike in 2004, but the program has infuriated many Pakistanis.
www.latimes.com...

I wonder what the real story is behind the suspension of the [U.S. Sponsored Terror] drone attacks. There must be something going on we're not privy to, and it probably isn't good.

- PS

Dig those nifty bird-like drones.

edit on 12/24/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: link

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
i'm guessing that one isn't the model that can have hellfire missiles attached. also any article from america about the cia is essentially 100% useless when it comes to truth, has it even really stopped or are they just saying this? more source plz

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
This is old news. It's been stopped since mid-November. The LA times is more than a month late...

And why is this in the WW3 forum?
edit on 24-12-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatsinaname
i'm guessing that one isn't the model that can have hellfire missiles attached. also any article from america about the cia is essentially 100% useless when it comes to truth, has it even really stopped or are they just saying this? more source plz

More sources are available as shown in the screen capture presented below:

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
"the agency has killed dozens of Al Qaeda operatives..." best quote ever.

and about 3500 civilians in the process.

i also didn't know rc planes qualify as drones. if they do i might be in trouble with homeland security and the american government.

or maybe not. my model cost $300. that unit probably cost the pentagon and the taxpayers $380 million dollars.

edit on 24-12-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
thanks =) I find it interesting that those sources have nearly identical titles, its as though they all got the same info from a press conferance. also all seam american based. im sure there are other repeats from other countries.

anyways my point being, there was only one original source, or im seeing patterns where there are none. and this time I think tis not the latter.

ed: I recall a while ago on a bbc radio station in the AM frequencies I listen too one of the runners for pakistans leadership was on for an interview, and he talked about the rebels and cia and their own troops and such, his take on it all was pakistan should deal with its own problems, but the americans don't see it that way, I don't recall him mentioning the civi's on the show but other sources indicate as much is true when it comes to, how to put it...'not aiming correctly'
edit on 24/12/2011 by whatsinaname because: (no reason given)

ed: there are subtle differences between rc planes, UAV and drones, just dont strap fireworks to your model planes, and don't fly by cam over airports, and you should be fine. disclaimer: check your local laws obviously.
edit on 24/12/2011 by whatsinaname because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatsinaname
thanks =) I find it interesting that those sources have nearly identical titles, its as though they all got the same info from a press conferance. also all seam american based. im sure there are other repeats from other countries.

anyways my point being, there was only one original source, or im seeing patterns where there are none. and this time I think tis not the latter.

I haven't even started looking at all the propaganda angles yet. But yeah, all the headlines seem to be run off the same MSM ditto machine.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
"the agency has killed dozens of Al Qaeda operatives..." best quote ever.

and about 3500 civilians in the process.

i also didn't know rc planes qualify as drones. if they do i might be in trouble with homeland security and the american government.

or maybe not. my model cost $300. that unit probably cost the pentagon and the taxpayers $380 million dollars.

edit on 24-12-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

Next group of U.S. domestic "terrorists" to be targeted by DHS: RC and model rocket hobbyists.
edit on 12/24/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: typos

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
This is old news. It's been stopped since mid-November. The LA times is more than a month late...

And why is this in the WW3 forum?
edit on 24-12-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

I seem to be late as well. Sorry. I just saw the story pop up on breakingnews.com. I thought this forum was as good as the next for this thread. If a moderator wants to move it somewhere more appropriate...
edit on 12/24/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   

join