It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is This Object From ISS Live Cam Comet Lovejoy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Hi everyone....I was checking out the ISS live cam to see if maybe I could catch the comet by chance, and I think I might have, but not sure. Take a look and tell me what you think. I will keep watching and recording to see if I can catch it again...just curious. If I get more, or get a really good shot, I'll be back to post it. Look in the area where I moved the curser to....it a blurry image that only became visible as they headed into orbital sunset. Be back soon with more I hope. Oh...and you need to click on the youtube logo and go there to watch full screen to see it well.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I do not know about anyone else, but all I saw was bupkus...

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jeichelberg

OK...I don't know what that means...I'm trying to get a better shot of it, but they are showing the iside of the ISS right now. It is a blurry line near where I moved the curser. I was just wondering if it's the comet, because I saw some still pics of it passing the Earth yesterday from the ISS. It may not be, I just thought maybe that could be it. I'll post a better piv or video if I see it again. BTW it's (the comet) harmless, just interesting.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
OK....I googled "bupkus"
Did you look at it fullscreen? I'll try to get a better vid asap.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Yes...I looked at it full screen but still did not see a comet...general time when it comes into view?

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Here's some info on it. On my video, it is just a blur (if that's it)....according to this article, that's probably what it looks like now, since it's fading. I'm going to go out at sunset and see if I can catch it.
astrobob.areavoices.com...

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Hi StealthyKay. I'll be honest and just say "I don't know" but also say that that livecam has awful image quality too. The analogy would be trying to play a record using a knitting needle instead of a stylus. Are they using cheap logitech equipment?

From a post by chadwickius today, a replying poster showed this amazing footage of Lovejoy so I am interested why the livecam is a pile of steaming fecal as far as image quality is concerned.

Compare it to this. It's fabulous. All credit to Seagle for posting

Thread containing it and some nice photo's here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

ETA I wonder if we will be seeing some "Star of Bethlehem returns!" threads on here soon
Hmm, perhaps to say it is to wish it...? Anyway, apparently it will be visible for people in uh...somewhere I am not located. Details are on the thread I linked.
edit on 23/12/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

edit on 23/12/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Thanks, but I am in the Northern Hemisphere...I was wondering at what particular point in the video do you see any object...I watched carefully, but could not see anything in particular that I could label a comet...

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

At the beginning, where you see the green circle moving (just below the horizontal bar) look just below the bar, and it is a blurry line....I guess I should have waited until I got a better shot...ugggh

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Now THAT is beautiful! Yeah, the ISS cam is crap (wonder why that is?) You would think it would be the best cam available! . I think the comet is fading too.... I just usually look at it a few times a day, and I noticed as they went into sunset, that streak appeared. I was just wondering if that could be what it was....that's all. So I posted it to see if anyone knew if it would still show up.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

According to chadwickius's post:

You'll have to be up early though as it's only visible before dawn in a south easterly direction, it is only going to get brighter in the coming days, so set the alarm and check it out.

I don't think there's much point me bothering to look as I don't think it's visible from here but the photo's look awesome and I'm happy with that. Guess I have to sit and wait on the next comet to come our way. I've seen a solar eclipse once and that is something I am grateful for. Beautiful displays kinda make life a little more worth living.
I'm not quite so sure about setting the alarm early part though.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

If you read the thread by Chadwickus, and you are indeed in the Netherlands, don't bother setting the alarm clock, its only viewed in the Southern Hemisphere, or extreme southern north hemisphere. I'm afraid you are too far north. For me I'm an early riser, I catch sunrises in June, and only use an alarm clock if I plan on less then 3 hours of sleep as insurance, but usually wake up before it goes off, for about the last 25 years.

BTW, beautiful pictures in his thread.

Lovejoy
edit on 23-12-2011 by Illustronic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Thanks for the link and the info! I'm in the southern U.S.....so I might be able to see it! Thanks all!

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Thanks for trying! I appreciate it...

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Well I got the answer I was seeking ...so thank you!

join