It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dead before being born?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Some people say that once you die, that's it... nothing else. Atheists would say that.

But, before we were born, weren't we dead? And if you go far enough back in time, the chemicals that make up our bodies didn't even exist. It took suns to combine elements into new substances etc.

So if we can go from being dead to being born, why can't it happen again? Most things that happen once happen repeatedly in the universe..

Is there a name for this line of thinking? I'm sure its not original but it's how i think about it... if one argues that after death there is nothing... then why are we here right now living. I'm not saying that one would come back as the same person or even same animal or whatever. But just as something that is 'self aware' i.e living.
edit on 19-12-2011 by zaintdead because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by zaintdead

I believe its called reincarnation...

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Is there a name for this line of thinking?

You mean reincarnation?

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
plants do it too. its called parthenogenesis.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Wow, I believe in reincarnation myself but I've never thought of it the way you have. It definitely sounds like sense.

The idea that convinced me on reincarnation is one most of are familiar with: matter can be neither created nor destroyed, but only converted to energy and vice versa. So then, when we die we must simply convert back totally to energy. What is to keep that energy from materializing yet again?

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
"We are star stuff contemplating star stuff." Carl Sagan.

Their is no end other than to your consciousness. You are a few trillion elements combined to be a unique human being on a unique planet. When you fade to that black or white place, well, it will be to late to know or comprehend wont it. So let it take you when it does and enjoy life when it hasn't tried yet.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Maybe we weren't dead before birth. Maybe we didn't exist at all before birth

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
maybe we're alive before birth and we're alive after we die?

life begets life? it's the circle of life, not the circle of death

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rexamus
Maybe we weren't dead before birth. Maybe we didn't exist at all before birth

Same thing, when I say dead I mean not existing. That's why I said even the chemicals that make life possible at one point hadn't been created yet. I'm simply saying that there's no difference between being 'dead' and before being born. Yet here we are.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I just don't see how it's possible to have biological "Consciousness" without first having consciousness in some other respect first. Even some say that nothing in existence is external that it is all internal and there really is not any matter. If that is the case then we don't really live we just live in our minds. Now put THAT in your pipe and smoke it!

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Smithjustinb made a thread called "why the afterlife is a fact", with the same premise as yours.

Its watery logic. For one, we werent dead before birth, because non-existance doesnt have an identity. And even if you granted that possibility, then you were still alive before birth as a combination of recycled cells with the genetic makeup to form the human you are.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
What is it like to die and never wake up? A better question would be, what would it be like to wake up after never having been dead?

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Check this out, I made a thread a while back about stars and our souls. It may shed some light on what you're thinking, or maybe not.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

I have memory of my life in between life's. I won't bother to talk about it no one ever believes me anyway. I believe my memory is real and not a life long delusion.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Like others have said, I believe in reincarnation. Born before your dead and dead before you are born. Life goes on and on. I'm waiting to be born on another planet that is all about being king towards one another. I feel it does exist.

Can't wait to let go to my other worldly being.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Not on topic, or perhaps. Thought I'd share it anyway.
''Like stillborn babies I dont cry about the unfairness of life.'' SA band Fokofpoliesiekar.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
You are right. When my daughter was a little child, I asked her where she was before being born and she always told me, "i was dead". There you have it.

top topics

join