It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantum Physics - Everything Is Connected - Explanation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I know there are threads out there on Quantum Mechanics and Quantum Physics but when i read through them i find them a little too scientific and it makes it hard to actually grasp the understanding of whats being told. That being said i want to create a "Layman's" thread on how Quantum Physics explains that every single thing in the entire universe is not only in constant motion but what i do here right now affects our Sun, our Milky Way and every single atom in the entire universe at the same time.

Now that sounds hard to believe and to be honest quite ridiculous and i will admit that i thought it was impossible until a very "layman's" explanation of Quantum Physics was detailed on a TV show in the UK last night (18th December 2011). This TV show was an explanation for celebrities and the public in the UK on Quantum Physics and to be honest i think its brilliant that the BBC aired this...it will certainly go a good distance in helping the masses see that we are all connected.

The presenter of the TV show (Professor Brian Cox)explains the theory in detail but simplified. For those in the UK, you can view the show (which is around 1 hour) at the link below...very well worth the 1 hour.

A Night With The Stars

I don't think over sea's viewers can view BBC iplayer, so i am searching for a Youtube version.

It was a brilliant show and i urge everyone to watch it if you can!
edit on 19/12/11 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Everything is connected. Isn't that the unifying field theory? Einstein tried his best but couldn't prove it. I think he was on the right track though.
edit on 19-12-2011 by steveknows because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I thought it was a brilliant show and will admit to periods of sitting there with my jaw hanging while my brain was trying to keep up! Mind you, im pretty much sold on Brian Cox anyway, a bit like David Attenborough - doesn't matter what the subject is, im interested anyway just because of the name attached.

This is always my favourite time of year for documentaries on the Beeb. It is nearly time for the Royal Society Christmas Lectures - Professor Hood and the Human Brain this year.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
You know what i am starting to believe? Its that everything has been made deliberately complicated to stump the masses. Knowledge is power and knowledge was a gift that was granted to us. Someone i believe locked it up and used it as leverage.

Take this thread of mine for instance. www.abovetopsecret.com...

If Carlsberg did threads???

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   

we are interconnected, the same "energy", we are everything and nothing, the one consciousness, you ARE god.. YOU create your own destiny, own path in life whether thats the path to hell or heaven is your choice. choose wisely.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1beerplease

we are interconnected, the same "energy", we are everything and nothing, the one consciousness, you ARE god.. YOU create your own destiny, own path in life whether thats the path to hell or heaven is your choice. choose wisely.

Its not about consciousness or whatever. The theory is regarding electrons and the constant state of flux.

Basically. No single atom i.e. carbon can have the same electron in the same position of any other carbon atom in the entire universe. So by this simple statement, they are all connected. But this rule applies to every single atom no matter the element. If you hold a diamond and rub it in your hands, thus transferring energy to it, the electrons move positions, ever so slightly. So when they move position, they cannot occupy the same location around their carbon nucleus as any other carbon atom in the known universe, so for that to occur, every carbon atom must be in instantaneous "communication" with every other carbon atom in the universe.

This rule applies to every single atom in the universe no matter the element. So by you spitting your saliva down the drain after brushing you teeth, every single hydrogen and oxygen atom in the universe alters its properties to adjust to the change you just created.

This is what i mean.

If you can watch the TV show, please please do...its explained far better that what i wrote above.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Watched it last night really good and really funny, Brian cox is brilliant I have 2 of his books:

Wonders of the universe and wonders of the solar system really good reads.

Wonders of the universe

Wonders of the solar system

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod

Its not about consciousness or whatever. The theory is regarding electrons and the constant state of flux.

Basically. No single atom i.e. carbon can have the same electron in the same position of any other carbon atom in the entire universe. So by this simple statement, they are all connected.

No. The mere fact that all electrons obey Fermi-Dirac statistics does not imply that they are connected in the sense that their quantum states are correlated. This is because electrons bound to different atoms are NOT entangled, quantum-mechanically speaking. Only quantum states that are entangled are connected in an acausal way.

But this rule applies to every single atom no matter the element.

No, it does not. Electrons in different atoms of different elements are NOT in entangled states.

If you hold a diamond and rub it in your hands, thus transferring energy to it, the electrons move positions, ever so slightly. So when they move position, they cannot occupy the same location around their carbon nucleus as any other carbon atom in the known universe, so for that to occur, every carbon atom must be in instantaneous "communication" with every other carbon atom in the universe.

Nope. Obeying Fermi-Dirac statistics has NOTHING to do with quantum entanglement, let alone an explanation of it. Your statement is hopelessly misconceived.

This rule applies to every single atom in the universe no matter the element. So by you spitting your saliva down the drain after brushing you teeth, every single hydrogen and oxygen atom in the universe alters its properties to adjust to the change you just created.

This is what i mean.

If you can watch the TV show, please please do...its explained far better that what i wrote above.

I appreciate that you are a layman in theoretical physics, unlike myself who has spent a professional lifetime in this field. But I hope you have merely misunderstood what Cox said. Otherwise, he has made serious errors in dumbing down quantum theory so that viewers can understand it.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Sorry to burst ur bubble but consciousness does have a role to play on how the universe works.
there was /is a colloboration between roger penrose and stuart hammeroff and they have a basic though complex explanation called Orch Or model

Interesting reading

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Sorry if this is a re-post but If you dont live in the U.K. it looks like the video is now up on you tube in 4 parts.
Really excited to watch this as I have also always be extremely interested in quantum mechanics but have always had a hard time following along with it..... also a big fan of Brian Cox..... Cant seem to get the videos to work here so here are the links also you can just search "night with the stars" on you-tube.... its like the 4th or 5th result as of now.

part 1 - www.youtube.com...

part 2 - www.youtube.com...

part 3 - www.youtube.com...

part 4 - www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
So I wave my hand through the air, no.... too much work, .....no I type fast, or don't and that, .....no to much work again..... ok, I simply purse my lips and blow, yea, no work there. So I purse my lips and blow, that in turn causes a thermal difference, which in turn causes an expansion or contraction which causes atoms and neutrons and protons to move closer or farther in relative position, pushing or pulling, exerting a pressure or absence of pressure in turn causing movement of atoms all the way to the boundaries of the initial particle thrust forth when the big bang singularity expanded, all the way to the furthest edge..........if there is one...?

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Here is some brain food for you guys and gals....

I present you John Hagelin, Ph.D ON Consciousness & Superstring Unified Field Theory

edit on 19-12-2011 by Zaanny because: (no reason given)

top topics

join