It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trade Wars 2000; Want to play?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
For those of you that remember BBSes, there was a great door game called Trade Wars.

Would anyone be interested in playing it again?

If I get enough responses, I may consult with ATS mods about having this be an ATS only game.

If you'd like me to post more public information about it, let me know.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Sure, I would play again.

But I am not sure if the low tech style would be very enticing today.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Had it on palm. Retired with my own planet.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
If we do this, I'd probably be for a "preseason" for the entire month of January so we all can brush up on it.

Then we'll reset it in Feburary and run it the rest of the year. It still has the good and bad merchant traders, the Federation, and the evil Feringgi (spelling?).

And of course, the real people can still choose to be good or evil as well as independent or incorporated.

I suppose we'll also need some in game referees to throw in some twists from time to time, maybe.

Everyone will need to download a free version of TelNet.
I wish they would make a internet friendly version of it.

Edit to add: Yes, the game is VERY low text. It's text based. The learning curve is about one to two hours for the average person.

It helps to bring a pen and paper. You don't want to lose your home planet or any other key sectors.

edit on 12/17/2011 by Genfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Genfinity

Wonder if TWHelper would work. I may still have a copy of that and an actual copy of TW. Although they are on 3.5 floppy, I am not even sure I still have a drive laying around anymore.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I would play.

Grate BBS games I remember
Cross roads of the elements ( majorbbs )
Galactic Empire ( Majorbbs )

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by staple

I have played there before. There were more cry babies than anything. People would lose their planets and someone had to be cheating. I did not hang around very long there, it could be different now though.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I haven't given up on this idea. I'm still poking along at it.

Trade Wars Rising, the web based game, is the direction I wish alot of former BBS type boards would go.

The problem with BBSes and the early days of the internet was needing a seperate phone line to allow a connection.

With the disdain the government is beginning to show for freedom of speech on the internet, I would love to see BBSes and/or miniNets or localNets hit the scene. But I'm not optimistic.

At any rate, I am trying to come up with a dedicated CPU and then I simply need to set up the game and I'm good to go.

So we'll see.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Genfinity

With the disdain the government is beginning to show for freedom of speech on the internet, I would love to see BBSes and/or miniNets or localNets hit the scene. But I'm not optimistic.

I think if the iron fist keeps closing down on the internet, I think we may see their return. It probably would not be the same thing, but the concept would be similar. It could possibly end up splitting off into smaller segments and isolating itself from the bigger whole.

Or, neighborhoods start setting up their own peer to peer networks within the community. Just think of the possibilities if people configured their wireless routers to start linking up with other routers to form another net.

top topics

join