It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nearly 20% of women in the US are raped, study reveals

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
SOURCE ARTICLE

Among the key figures included in the survey's findings were:

more than one million women reported being raped in the 12 months prior to the survey
more than six million women and men were a victim of stalking
more than 12 million women and men reported rape, physical violence or stalking by an intimate partner over the course of a year.

"People who experience sexual violence, stalking or intimate partner violence often deal with the effects for their entire life," said Dr Linda Degutis, director of CDC's National Center for Injury Prevention and Control.

Among the effects measured by the study, Dr Degutis said, were increased fears for safety and incidents of post-traumatic stress among victims.

Clinical conditions including asthma, irritable bowel syndrome, diabetes, frequent headaches, chronic pain and difficulty sleeping were also more likely in women who are raped or subject to assault.

This is simply astounding and very, very depressing, yet important to discuss.

Rape is a violent crime, yes, it involves sex, but at it's core it is a violent attack on another human being. Now, what kind of social environment creates this many people capable of such despicable violent acts on fellow human beings?

Very seriously, I cannot imagine what type of mindset someone must be in to commit such atrocious acts... I hesitate when swatting a fly for crying out loud!

I will throw this out for the sake of discussion... should rapists be considered and treated as TERRORISTS?

Why not... I'm certain that a serial rapist causes much more fear (see: terror) in a community, than a boogeyman half way around the world who we only ever see on TV.

Violence, especially against women, is a HUGE problem all over the world, and it is about time that something serious is done about it.

the Billmeister

p.s.
Wasn't quite sure what forum to post this in.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I'd guess that most rapes are not the dark alley/malicious stranger type; most are people who the victim knew and trusted. Think date rape.

Unfortunately, the number (20%)doesn't surprise me at all. And it's true--it is REALLY hard to get over, especially when the victim knew and trusted the person.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Wouldn't be surprised by this.. I know a lot who go clubbing and get drunk and get groped and sexually assaulted in the progress.

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
The question you have to ask first and foremost is how was the information gathered. This is important because using someone's word vs. physician and hospital statistics are vastly different. It's kind of like the surveys they do with teens. They will respond in a manner that either makes them seem hip and cool, or to appear they are responsible, not necessarily their true and accurate positions.

I'm not saying rape isn't an issue, I think it is a very serious issue. But I don't take these surveys at face value until I see the data collection methods used to base their study on. Is the number truly 20% or could it be higher/lower depending on how the person surveyed viewed the interview? If they are clinical in nature, then they are probably spot on. If they are based on interviews, then I think they are probably skewed.

never mind, read the fact sheet, and it was a telephone survey. Based on this, I don't think the number is accurate. personally, I think the number is most likely higher, but I could be wrong. I just don't see all respondents being forthcoming about something as personal as this. If they are too afraid or ashamed to report it, why would they tell a stranger on a phone survey?
edit on 12/15/2011 by haarvik because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

Here is a link to the CDC website where the study is posted and reviewed in detail: National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey

And a quick summary of the methodology:

The National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey is a national random digit dial (RDD) telephone survey of the non-institutionalized English and/or Spanish-speaking U.S. population aged 18 or older. NISVS uses a dual-frame sampling strategy that includes both landline and cell phones. The survey was conducted in 50 states and the District of Columbia and was administered from January 22, 2010 through December 31, 2010. In 2010, a total of 18,049 interviews were conducted (9,970 women and 8,079 men) in the U.S. general population. This includes 16,507 completed and 1,542 partially completed interviews. A total of 9,086 females and 7,421 males completed the survey. Approximately 45.2% of interviews
were conducted by landline telephone and 54.8% of interviews were conducted using a respondent’s
cell phone.

Now can we discuss the root cause of such a high level of violence, and potential means of countering it?

the Billmeister

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
It's not surprising to me at all. I suspect the real number is actually higher. As a woman who has been raped, I certainly cannot understand the mind of a person who can hear a woman's cries of pain and pure violation, begging him to stop, and still manage to have his sexual system work for him... It's disgusting and infuriating and brings thoughts of violence to MY mind...

+22 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
All I can say is Baloney!

In no way is 20% of the females in the US a victim of Rape.

edit on 12-15-2011 by Springer because: DON'T try to circumvent our vulgar language censor.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Billmeister

Now can we discuss the root cause of such a high level of violence, and potential means of countering it?

the Billmeister

Try an increasingly psychopathic society which also believes it should have what it wants when it wants.
Try a diet of mainly violent video games
Try (this certainly goes for UK) all the 'harmless' girly magazines on display which portray women as meat.
Try a change in society's norms - it's OK to drop your pants on a whim. Just look at problem pages and the responses to young people who post that they don't feel ready. They are so often accused of being dysfunctional!
There was a programme on UK TV last night - 'The joy of teenage sex'. 'Nuff said.
Try females themselves who (in the UK anyway) don't see a problem with falling around the streets half dressed and drunk on a Saturday night.

Heuston we have a problem.

+12 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
www.fbi.gov...

Overview
There were an estimated at 84,767 forcible rapes reported to law enforcement in 2010. This estimate was 5.0 percent lower than the 2009 estimate and 10.3 percent and 6.7 percent lower than the 2006 and 2001 estimates, respectively. (See Tables 1 and 1A.)
The rate of forcible rapes in 2010 was estimated at 54.2 per 100,000 female inhabitants.
Rapes by force comprised 93.0 percent of reported rape offenses in 2010, and attempts or assaults to commit rape accounted for 7.0 percent of reported rapes. (Based on Table 19.)

FBI statistic is 54 women in every 100,000 women are raped.

That is a far, far cry from the OP statistic of 20,000 of 100,000

FBI reported statistic is .054 percent of women in the US are rape victims

I think the FBI has a better handle on crime than most anyone else

edit on 15-12-2011 by brokedown because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I could see 20% being the number that are "sexually assaulted " but not actual rape with penetration.

+12 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by brokedown
All I can say is B### S### !

You're right! 20% is a BS number it's probably closer to 50%(I've heard as high as 75%) of US women that have been molested/raped at some point in their life.

most statistics consistently claim 1 in 3 women will be sexually abused or raped in her lifetime.(That's probably a conservative estimate)

78% of sexual assault victims were assaulted by someone they knew.
Up to 57% of rapes happened on a date.
Over 66% of sexual assault victims reported NO visible physical injuries.
Over 50% of victims and 70% of assailants had used drugs or alcohol prior to the assault..
Fewer than 20% of crimes of sexual violence are reported to the police.
95% of these rape victims did not report the rape to officials.

link

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
women in general suffer around the world every day. it is sad indeed especially when you feel helpless to do anything

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by brokedown

I would just like to make the point that only a percentage of rape victims report the rape to authorities.

This is perhaps due to the amount of rapes which are perpetrated by someone the victim knows. The victim often feels responsible, guilty, ashamed.

Namaste

Point made much better by Adamanteus
edit on 15-12-2011 by Threegirls because: acknowledgement of superior post

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Complete rubbish. I don't believe any of these figures for a second. There's no actual evidence for any of this.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
OK... pretty sure I can guess the gender of the poster by the content of the post.

That said... what about this part of the OP:

I will throw this out for the sake of discussion... should rapists be considered and treated as TERRORISTS?

Why not... I'm certain that a serial rapist causes much more fear (see: terror) in a community, than a boogeyman half way around the world who we only ever see on TV.

What do you say ATS... get the Office of Homeland Security to use its resources for some real, tangible securing of the "homeland" by getting these violent sociopaths off the streets?

Remember, these types of violent assaults follow the victims their entire lives... very, very serious!

the Billmeister

+15 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Ive had friends who claimed they were raped when "buyers remorse" set in after a night of binge drinking and a one-night stand.

I've also had friends make up elaborate stories about rapes that never happened for attention.

And, of course, I've had friends who actually experienced cold brutal rape and never spoke of it or reported it.

That skews statistics like crazy. Is it under-reported? It may even be over-reported.

Nobody knows the truth yet that doesnt stop politicians and groups from acting on data as flawed as that data may be.

20% claiming rape simply means 20% are willing to claim rape for whatever reason not that 20% have actually been victims of rape.

edit on 15-12-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Adamanteus

Don’t go putting it in reverse quite so fast.

Molestation is NOT Rape.

Molestation is Molestation.

Rape is Rape.

20 % of Women are not a victim of Rape in their lifetime, that is just some phony made up statistic from someone who has an agenda.

The OP stated very clearly that 20% of women are Rape victims, that is the subject at hand, and that is just plain wrong.

Don’t try to adjust the count by adding in Molestation, that won’t fly.

We are talking Rape nothing else.

The problem we have here is the morphing of the true definition of Rape. Which your attempt in the effort will not work.

20% of women ARE NOT victims of Rape, no matter how much you want that to be true, it is just another lie trying to divide us.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by brokedown
All I can say is B### S### !

I think you'd be surprised. Many (I'd almost guess that most?) don't discuss it with anyone at ALL. There is a huge feeling of shame accompanying it. Like it's our fault for putting ourselves into the situation that allowed it to happen.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I could not let your post go unanswered, even though there are no words for the violent crime you were (very, very, sadly) a victim of.

You bring up a point that I often touch on when discussing this topic... the actual capability of being aroused while violently attacking another human.

Do rapists suffer from a mental disorder?

Or, as has been discussed in numerous other posts on the topic of psychopathic behavior, is an actual physical difference in the brain structure responsible? Remember, studies have shown that their is a direct link between psychopathic traits, and a smaller amygdala. (The part of the brain which deals with emotion).

There exists a test which places psychopathic traits on a scale... perhaps this could be used to better target potential rapists?

Statistically, people in positions of power are much more likely to have high scores in this test... is this part of the reason why these types of crimes are not punished as severely, or taken as seriously as they should?

Perhaps there is some straw grasping here, but it is inconceivable to me that, in a so-called modern society, there is still so much of this type of violence.

the Billmeister

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join