It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why can't we just put up with child's play and focus on some meaningful things?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
We have the ability to totally ignore the fake lives that we live in our society and instead chose to live a peaceful, non-materialistic life. We tend to ignore this simple possibility citing variety of reasons which are not even real.

Today we have in our hands the choice to abandon every control system, media, meaningless entertainment and kick-start a community based on rights, love, peace, mutual respect and live an adventurous life. We don't want to lock ourselves up with fake responsibilities for the majority of our lives. If we let go of these plastic made-up stuff we can surge towards a much better society that is completely free. We sell our time for meaningless gibberish in order to get fulfillment which we hardly get.

We have in front of us an amazing future awaiting us to be explored. All it takes for us is to come together and abandon these fake idols and ideals and connect with the world. We chase comforts only to get uncomfortable for most part of the day. We come up with excuses like paying bills and moving on with life. We are fooling ourselves finding shelter under unrealistic goals. All it takes is a moment of choice. We have the choice to be what we want to be and not what they want us to be.

If we think of ourselves as inferior we are wrong. We are wrong either way. But we take the much easier route because its filled with fun and stupidity. What we do is child's play. A child needs some practicing with toys and things to feel comfortable. It needs to adapt, learn and grow. Its part of its learning process. But we are grown up and still stuck with toys that are relatively bigger and more complex. All in the name of a race that is never won by anyone but the fights persists. This toy mentality makes us look like clowns dancing to our television tunes. And yes it makes me laugh at the pathetic state we are in. We are responsible for this and yet we alone could come out of this.
edit on 14-12-2011 by radkrish because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-12-2011 by radkrish because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by radkrish

You know I'd love it, if it was only that simple.

I'd love to live in the countryside and just live a simple and peaceful life but It's not that easy.

Once you're in the system its Damn hard to get out of it.
edit on 14-12-2011 by DAZ21 because: spelling

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
there are many who feel the same way ..but i guess when it comes to this... most of us a hypocrites in one way or the other - many like or even love their invisible bars in front of them from time to time i suppose...

either way..for the thing you described one would have to let go ones ego....
i see that coming one day....not sure if ill be around to witness it

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

Theoretically, were we to have some sort of deadly uncontrolled pandemic or other disaster of a substantial size the system would collapse. Sure there would be remnants of it, but for the most part society as we know it would grind to a halt. The only problem with that is, there are a lot of people who think they're awesome individualists who can just go rampaging through the nice peaceful countryside like it's nobody's business shooting, killing, and stealing whatever they want.

There are times where I definitely wish we could have a peaceful life in the countryside. But, then I have to face reality...

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

Yea, maybe It's better the devil you know. As they say. Still if a great world changing disaster happened, yes we might finally be free. But then it will as you say, be every man for himself.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Knock yourself out. If you want to forego what passes for civilization and live in the woods like the Unabomber, go for it. What is preventing you? To each his own adventure. Might I suggest one of the first things you need to do to achieve this nirvana is cut off your Internet connection.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by radkrish

I have often wondered if it were possible to do a roll back on everything.

*Wages
*Goods and Services
*etc.

Literally everything around the globe roll back, on say Jan 1st. The stroke of midnight, everything was the same cost as it was in 1960. Those products not on the market at the time would have a their price fixed per dollar value for that time.
A time when a single income, could afford a home, when healthcare and pharmaceutical costs wouldn't force you into the choice of eating or living.

I've been told before that it would be impossible....why?

Corporate greed has taken us to where we are today.
Remember when a Christmas fund or a basic savings account paid 5.25% interest? ( I just showed my age )
Remember when you could take a family vacation without taking out a loan?
Remember when a credit card was a mystery?

We did not do this to ourselves. We had needs then and was able to save for those or buy them without a lot of trouble.

Enter the 2 family income, and corporate America and the world see's us having far to much disposable income.
Prices begin to rise to equal that income level and then surpasses it, causing debt. Once they discovered how willing we were to accept debt. The gloves were off and the greed machine took us to where we are today.

This went further than I meant for it to.

I'll leave with this.
It is possible, it just has to be done.
We allow the debt machine to consistently fix prices that are greater than our ability to pay for them.
Look at the ever increasing cost of basic needs, such as food, transportation and housing. How many live payroll to payroll. How many second mortgages etc. etc. etc. Ever increasing more debt.

A society in debt, is a controlled society.

Roll it back...
nice thought huh?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by LDS911

OK. Roll back to 1960. First, you wouldn't be here becaise the Internet, computers, etc. would not be something available to you. Pretty much anything the least bit technical wouldn't be here. I remember what it was like in 1960 and frankly, it would be a nightmare to be forced to live under those conditions again.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
reply to post by LDS911

OK. Roll back to 1960. First, you wouldn't be here becaise the Internet, computers, etc. would not be something available to you. Pretty much anything the least bit technical wouldn't be here. I remember what it was like in 1960 and frankly, it would be a nightmare to be forced to live under those conditions again.

I too was around at that time.
No disrespect intended, but you didn't read my post the way I typed it.
I'm not saying anything about, everything we have now, is suddenly gone. I'm saying roll back COSTS alone to that time.
So, the internet would be here, computers would be here, today's medicine would be here. IT WOULD JUST HAVE A COST THAT WAS FOR THAT ERA. Including Wages.

100% Economics.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by LDS911

Then how much would a computer cost?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDS911

Originally posted by schuyler
reply to post by LDS911

I too was around at that time.
No disrespect intended, but you didn't read my post the way I typed it.
I'm not saying anything about, everything we have now, is suddenly gone. I'm saying roll back COSTS alone to that time.
So, the internet would be here, computers would be here, today's medicine would be here. IT WOULD JUST HAVE A COST THAT WAS FOR THAT ERA. Including Wages.

100% Economics.

And no disrepect to you, but you can't do that. How much would a computer cost? You can't even put that into your equation because it wasn't invented. It's like saying "How much did an automobile cost in 1600?" How about an automobile, though? Let's just take an automobile as a good example to work with.

In 1960 a typical autmobile had a fairly simple internal combusion engine. They mostly had clutches and few had automatic windows. They used a distributor and coil ingnition system and radial tires were not yet common. There were no seat belts and certainly no airbags. The floor mats were rubber on the top of metal. There was a single AM radio and the clock, if available, did not work. The pollution control system consisted of a single backflow valve on the rocker arm cover, and the exhaust system had no environmental controls at all. It got about ten miles per gallon on a good day. Most of them started breaking down at 50,000 miles and a 100,000 mile car was a rarity. Brakes and tires had to be replaced every 20,000 miles. A lot of them in 1960 did not even have turn signals. There were no internal computers and diagnostics did not amount to "throwing a code" to tell what was wrong. Power steering and power brakes were only in luxury cars and, on the whole, a car in 1960 is a lot harder to drive than ones today.

"100% economics" makes no sense because economics is not an entity unto itself. It is a result of the product mix in the world. If you are going to roll back costs, then you must roll back products because much of what a product consists of is stuff that has been invented since 1960. The costs of the new stuff has to be accounted for, and your model does not do that.

As a model, yours isn't very good. If we used it as you intended, absolutely nothing would change. Indeed, Turkey tried what you are suggesting a few years ago. At the time it cost 20 million lira for a cup of coffee. The joke in Turkey was that "All Turks are millionaires." (I was there at the time.) So the Turkish government changed everything to the "new lira" so that 20 million turned into just 20. They took off six zeroes. And what changed? Nothing.

That's why your scheme can't possibly work. First, it does nothing by itself. You can't take it in isolation. Secondly, you can't just arbitrarily discount what has happened to products in the last 50 years. Third, it's not going to happen.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I agree it would be a new way to look at things. However, it is possible to price anything.
A "good" computer is roughly the cost of a refrigerator. Now, based on an old economic model, unit cost was material, labor and 20% profit.
Saying that because it didn't exist, makes it impossible to project a price, is ridiculous.
I didn't say this would be easy. I said it is possible.

Everything has a cost fixed to its production. If you take a computer processor and fix its cost to produce STRICTLY on its labor and material + profit to ANY year.

I'm laughing sitting here, because we are trying to make it, as if things didn't exist then, so it can't be done now.
I'm saying the money, only money. The cost of EVERYTHING rolled back. A computer processor would have costs to produce as well as a REASONABLE profit. I'm not moving you back to 1960, I'm moving all associated costs of living back to that date.

When I said 100% Economics, I should have said 100% cost of living.

I never dreamed the concept would morph to some time travel adventure in production versus economics.

So, again I say. Yes, this is, point of fact, possible.

Yes, you'll take a pay cut, but everything you buy is equally and more so less expensive.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I'll end with this, to close my position.

As I said before, in my original reply.
Our cost of living changed, when U.S. and world corporations, saw that we moved from a 1 family income to 2 incomes. They realized that we had more disposable income and thus increased costs over a period of time, to what they are today.
During that rise in costs, they continued to a point beyond what would have equaled cost of living for 2 income families and created an increase in debt that continues to grow today.

No economist in the world argues that income versus cost hasn't widened by 100s of percent.
Meaning What you earn today, buys you far far less than it did,, lets say in,,, 1960.

I Wish You All, A Happy Holiday Season

top topics

join