It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pollution Weighs Heavily On China

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Pollution Weighs Heavily On China

www.marketplace.org

Chinese worry about how air pollution affects their lives and health. Here, airplanes queue to take off while shrouded in smog at Beijing International Airport on December 5, 2011. Beijing authorities canceled hundreds of flights and shut highways as thick smog descended on the Chinese capital on December 4 and 5, reducing visibility at one of the world's busiest airports.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
legacy.signonsandiego.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Amazing Pictures! Pollution in China
edit on 14-12-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
This source presents the transcript of a news piece regarding the increasingly troubling issue of air pollution in Chine, and in this particular case Beijing, her capital.

It appears that while this area of China does have a history of sands storms blown in from the Gobi desert, they have managed to make that hardship an order of magnitude worse.... some choice excerpts from the interview follow....

"...Zhang just bought a new home. And he's telling me the biggest factor behind his purchase was air quality. He says he picked the least polluted part of the city to buy an apartment. So we have the biggest decision of this guys life being determined by air pollution."

Schmitz: Well, throughout last week officials insisted on labeling the pollution "bad weather." They called it fog. They refused to call it smog.

Ryssdal: Nobody really believes that though, right? I mean come on.

Schmitz: No, and that's why a lot people are just angry. They're sick of being lied to like this by a government that's supposed to be taking care of them. People who are really concerned with this are following a Twitter feed from the U.S. embassy in Beijing. The U.S. embassy has been monitoring the air from a machine on its roof. It spits out hourly air quality readings and posts them on Twitter. And all last week, the reading were categorized as either very unhealthy or hazardous. On one day last week, the pollution was so bad that it went beyond what the machine could even read. So, you know, it was pretty clear: don't go outside.

Sounds like the real people (as opposed to the 'representatives' our media treats us to) are just as enamored of their glorious political leaders as we are here.... who knew? At least we have that in common.

By the way, the twitter feed from the US Embassy might soon be a 'diplomatic problem' don't you think? twitter.com... (I have to wonder if we'll see a sudden and consistently more 'benign' stream of data coming from them?)

Schmitz: Last week a lot of the roads were closed. Folks, I think, had a hard time getting stuff to market and going to work. But I think what's more important here is that there has been a 60 percent increase in lung cancer in the past decade. So that's going to have a tremendous toll on China's health care system. The World Bank figures China loses $100 billion a year from pollution -- that's 6 percent of China's GDP. [Coughing] Excuse me. I'm actually coughing right now. Just last week, hundreds of flight were cancelled in and out of Beijing because the pilots couldn't see through all this smog. China's economy is definitely taking a hit because of this.

60% increase in lung cancer.... I would say that weather is an unlikely candidate as a major contributory factor....

In the final analysis, I think it's safe to speculate that industrial progress' value to society may be somewhat the equivalent of a polished turd.... of course, those who don't have to cope with the reality will likely disagree - claiming how unbearable life would be without our toys.... and the money we make selling them. ("system justification" alert!)

Many were concerned about the pollution somehow making it to the West coast of the US... ( legacy.signonsandiego.com... ) but even local so-called press seems to prefer to call it "dust" (check out the link name.)

www.marketplace.org
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 14-12-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

This is an interesting video on Pollution in China.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I saw this documentary on Vanguard about this entire town in China, that is completely built upon and polluted with old Computer Parts. Now basically the entire towns population is dying of cancer, including all the children. Their government does Not warn them of the dangers. They still aren't aware and people are still living there.
edit on 14-12-2011 by truthinfact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
This is why China is in deep trouble.

You cannot become a superpower when your people are all diseased and dying due to massive pollution issues.

Sounds a lot more like a case of depopulation through slavery, and destruction of the natural habitat.

People should stop demanding all of this junk from their factories, for the sake of the Chinese people. For the sake of their environment, for the sake of our global environment.

And it's not just China that's in trouble, you can find this type of reality around the world in many different locations, and the damage reveals itself in many different ways.

This globalist exploitation and self-destruction is going to end one day, either by we the people putting a stop to it, or it will put a stop to we the people. The days of reckoning are fast approaching.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Dense smog in Beijing:

Chromic slag (highly toxic!) in Songbo Town, Xiangjiang River;

Wall Street Journal, recovery trumps reduction;

On a river (yes, that's a river):

Smog over Beijing visible from space;

Water pollution throughout China;

And the effect it has on it's population;

What would their opinion of the EPA be?

To see the full range of genetic deformities afflicting China, not just it's human but animals as well;
China's Rapid Development Has Its Cost

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Well, China has already started to invade Africa thieving them of resources.

I wouldn't be surprised if they relocated tens, if not hundreds of millions into that continent as the years go by.

It would take some stress off the mainland.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Can you say enviromental destruction? "mental" being the cognitive term!

-SAP-

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

You cannot become a superpower when your people are all diseased and dying due to massive pollution issues.

Britain managed it
Infact, its HOW you become a super power.

Countries like China and India haven't fully Industrialized as yet, and it causes MASSIVE levels of pollution.

Not a failing on Chinas part at all though, the US has got some of the most polluted areas on earth and noone holds that against their super power status

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Man,some of those pics need a "graphic"warning IMO.
I was happily eating my dinner when I saw that poor kid with the alien growing out of his back.

Not nice.

That pollution is comparable with what I saw in SE asia about 12 years back.
I wore a mask,most didn't.
The mask would actually weigh 3 times its weight after 2 days.
It got clogged up with metallic particles,which weigh a lot when there are billions.

(Yes I weighed my masks..Some call it paranoid,others call it self preservation.)

Humans are not designed to inhale such crap.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Since the 70s the US/West have effectively exported our industries, manufacturing and waste from manufacturing & Industrial production [Air, Water and Soil] pollution to China. They gain wealth in exchange we receive cheap products and unemployment.

Oh yeah, the whole lack of US manufacturing job thing huh?

CATCH 22
edit on 14-12-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I was astonished when I read a couple of years ago that China runs entire factories off of diesel generators. Their electrical infrastructure is so undersized and unreliable that big companies don't even bother trying to use it, they just set up rows and rows of diesel generators instead. Not only are generators quite inefficient, but they produce tremendous pollution. They are designed to run for short bursts to compensate for power outages, they were never meant to provide power for normal business operations. It's totally insane that they're using them to power factories.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
A year or two ago I watched a three hour special on public television that was all about the pollution in China. They even showed a satalite pic of China and SE asia and there was a brown cloud over all of it. They showed a city that was formerly a summer residence of the emporer. Man made lakes and parks along a river. it must have been very beautiful at one time.

They said that nothing could live in the water anymore due to chemical pollution,and if people swam or bathed in the water they would die.
edit on 12/14/2011 by lonegurkha because: Lord please help me to learn to spell

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Excellent find. Thanks. ...Chronic disease is on the rise big time in China - and few have the gall to blame it on anything but the pollution. Still, I imagine we can expect the victim-blamers to start shouting soon. After all, Chinese diets have changed. (Not much.)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Quite Right.
Furthermore, it crosses right over the Pacific Ocean and rains down on Continental North America.
Random and Errant Particulates make their way to Greenland, The British Isles, and Europe.
Add to this the Fukushima Issues (Media BlackOut for the most part), and Wham-O,
the resulting sum is nothing less than an enviromental Cluster Bomb.

Oops, I forgot to add in the alarming Methane Release that will only get worse as temperatures rise.

It is getting close to the time for an ATS Intergalactic Prayer.

S&F

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Thanks Blackmarketeer, those photos really are worth a thousand words each.
It makes me think that if I were to create a New World Order, I would have Global Restrictions for Pollution,
Global Standards for Human Rights,Wages/Standards of living, Recycling, Ocean Fish Harvest, Forest
and Woodland Harvest, Freshwater/Aquifier protection, and the like. Renewable Resources would be King.
We can argue Geopolitics all day and night long, but the bottom line is that this is One Planet
with Finite Resources, and the majority of us will live and die here after our short experience.
The Simple Idea , that "if you take give something back", has been replaced by the likes who
Take,Take,Take, and the only thing they give back is what they flush down the toilet.
That is if they have one.

I am a long term thinker(if I may be so bold), and the current short term thinking across the fields,
and across the seas is nothing less than self destructive. Deny Ignorance

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildmanimal

All you liberals who want America to give up the fossil fuel system should take a good look. Maybe you might want to think about attacking China for change instead of the United States. Maybe Mr. Hope and Change should see these photos - we look pretty damn good after seeing these photos.

Not only do we give up our manufactures but the US gives up any hope of controlling the pollution of the manufactures that we lost. At least when the manufactures were here we could make them adhere to some rules - not so over there. But of course we are going to have new light bulbs and electric cars - what a joke after looking at these photos.

China could give two s*&^ts about the air or the water, all they care about is putting on two new coal burning electric plants every month, check it out. Oh! but let us follow the rules - and I know - you have to start somewhere. How about Mr. Hope and Change goes over to China with these photos and bends over some more in the name of the global environment and tells China to start using new light bulbs and electric cars? Wake up people.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
Dense smog in Beijing:

Chromic slag (highly toxic!) in Songbo Town, Xiangjiang River;

Wall Street Journal, recovery trumps reduction;

On a river (yes, that's a river):

Smog over Beijing visible from space;

Water pollution throughout China;

And the effect it has on it's population;

What would their opinion of the EPA be?

To see the full range of genetic deformities afflicting China, not just it's human but animals as well;
China's Rapid Development Has Its Cost

Images of freedom I see...

I can't WAIT until we get rid of the EPA and any environmental regulations, how tyrannical!

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
A lot of people don't realize pollution spreads like crazy. We really are "one world." Here's a good overview of "Transboundary Pollution."

What is Transboundary Pollution?

Transboundary pollution is the pollution that originates in one country but is able to cause damage in another country’s environment, by crossing borders through pathways like water or air. Pollution can be transported across hundreds and even thousands of kilometers. The incredible distances that pollution can spread means that it is not contained within the boundaries of any single nation. This is why it is called ‘Transboundary Pollution’.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Well china that's what you get for not properly disposing of toxic waste...

Of course, almost every nation is guilty of it...

Ah how easy is it to forget that this is the only planet we got.. What we going to do? Move to Mars?! Ha!

It's amazing what money can do..

top topics

<<   2 >>

join