It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India Court Orders Shelters For Homeless In Winter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
As this world we live in continues to sicken and sadden a lot of us, especially at the behest of governmental policy, this made me smile a little;

India's Supreme Court has ordered states to provide adequate night shelters for the homeless during the coming winter.

"You should not allow even a single person to die this winter from the freezing cold," the judges said.

www.bbc.co.uk...

I think it is absolutely wonderful that Indian lawmakers have taken this initiative and see their fellow human beings as..well, fellow human beings, removed from any superficial titles, statuses and the like that retard our ability to co-exist with compassion.

I hope this sets a world wide precedent for similar nations although, my optimism can only be stretched so far. It is however, of some small comfort to know there are people in positions of power who are compassionate enough to realise that people are people and in this day and age; nobody should be left in the cold to die.

My favorite quote, from the judges themselves; "You should not allow even a single person to die this winter from the freezing cold"
edit on 13/12/11 by Pirateofpsychonautics because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Western cultures could take a lesson here.

Some people are just not able to stay warm in winter. Seniors on limited incomes and the homeless should not be left to freeze. What does that say about us as humans?

Peace

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

And... voila! Low Income Home Energy Assistance
We DO provide free weatherization for folks who can't afford it, right here in the US. I only know about this because I used to work for one of the State non-profits that provide the free weatherization for those who can't afford it, under this program. They will go out and insulate the house, repair or install the heater, etc.

In fact, they go out of their way to locate people who qualify and work with them to help them through the process, since many folks don't know about it.

edit on 13-12201112-1111 by gwynnhwyfar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
when i was in india a few years back i had one idea that stuck.
BANANA LOUNGES,
if every homeless person had one theyd be alright and its easy to fold up and carry around
stylish too!

new topics

top topics

join