It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life On Mars: Scientists Believe Large Regions Underground The Red Planet Are Habitable

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Source

While few things could seem more remote, some scientists now believe that the earliest traces of life on Earth originated on Mars -- and parts of that planet are actually more hospitable to life than we previously thought.

Researchers from the Australian National University have determined that very large regions under the surface of the red planet may contain water and have sufficiently comfortable temperatures for Earth-based life -- albeit microbial life.

The article continues to say:

"We found that 3 percent of the volume of Mars is habitable in terms of having the right temperatures and pressures for liquid water and life," astrobiologist Charley Lineweaver told The Huffington Post by email. "The biggest surprise is that extensive regions of Mars could be habitable in terms of temperature, pressure and water."

…And:

The astrobiologist added that the bitter cold Martian surface temperature wouldn't be too brutal for humans.

"Think Antarctica," he offered. "Very cold but tolerable if appropriately dressed."

Pretty interesting no? Just think of the possibilities. When talking about placing a settlement on a different planet, the thoughts of how and where always seem to pop up…radiation shielding, temperature differences, etc…could this solve that problem? Or at least help immensely?

Link from The Australian National University

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

Not sure about "underground".....I think there is still a great deal of that planet still to explore!!

However, in terms of Human habitation without the need for a full pressure suit, there is a region of an ancient impact (probably a large asteroid) that has lowered the overall average elevation, and allows the prevailing atmospheric pressure to exceed the triple-point of water.

It is the Hellas Planitia Region

SO, depending on the temperature, liquid water can exist (without immediately sublimating into the vapor state), and of course water ice too. What that Australian article did was a tiny bit misleading, comparing conditions to "Antarctica", since of course there isn't enough oxygen in the Martian atmosphere to support Humans, not without some supplemental breathing oxygen.

(Think of being on top of Mt. Everest).....however, even up there is far more atmospheric pressure than the lowest point on the surface of Mars. At most, the Hellas Region is about 12 mbar...so while water could persist, I'd think that the ability of Human blood to absorb oxygen would be a problem.....it's called "Partial Pressure of Oxygen", and thus would require some pressure delivery of 100% O2. I have not calculated whether or not a Human could survive, even on 100% O2 under pressure.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

Maybe C.S.Lewis knew something when he wrote Out of the Silent Planet.

edit on 13/12/11 by troubleshooter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
You see, there is no tipping back and forth of the pro and con argument for the existence of other life forms in the Univese. Virtually all of the collected evidence in the last couple of decades points in the direction that life is possible and probable at various places both near and far out there....

We are in the midst of an avalanche of data supporting that contention. It is no longer a dry, academic question only answerable in theory from calculations on a chalkboard.

As it comes more and more clear that we share the Universe with others, each meticulous, scientific finding continually justifies the existence of those things we call UFOs. (And those craft of ours called black triangles verify that existence.) It is not Disclosure we are waiting for so much as it is a dawning of an understanding among a large segment of humans. Along with that understanding, however, must come acceptance for our place in the hierarchy of life as our horizons are forced to expand. ...And THAT is the problem.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
every single day there seems to be new information
making mars seem more earthlike

by the time we get tehre we'll be expecting tropical resorts.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProudBird
reply to post by Juston

Not sure about "underground".....I think there is still a great deal of that planet still to explore!!

However, in terms of Human habitation without the need for a full pressure suit, there is a region of an ancient impact (probably a large asteroid) that has lowered the overall average elevation, and allows the prevailing atmospheric pressure to exceed the triple-point of water.

It is the Hellas Planitia Region

SO, depending on the temperature, liquid water can exist (without immediately sublimating into the vapor state), and of course water ice too.

No matter about Human colonization of Mars.

First of all, We need "their" permission to put our feet on "their" planet...

But seems that The "Hellas Basin" is already occupied, builded and in an extensive way.

These "little portions" are roughly 500 meters in wide....

"Someone" still pray on the right corner of this image (in Withe)...

edit on 14-12-2011 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Huh??

These "little portions" are roughly 500 meters in wide....

Those geologic (or "areologic", proper term for Mars..."Ares" refers to Mars, versus "Geo" that refers to "Earth".....) features on an impact feature of Mars, where there has likely been NO EROSION for several Million, if not BILLIONS of years??

500 METERS?? You are talking there, to those who may not be familiar with the Metric system, of over 1,500 FEET!. MORE than a QUARTER MILE!!!

Please try to comprehend perspective, when viewing photos of other planets and their landscapes....and THINK about the similar size comparisons that we are familiar with here on Earth.
edit on Wed 14 December 2011 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ProudBird

There is no comparison at all with some "natural wonderful" here on Earth.
This Hellas Basin visible image is roughly 12 kilometers x 5 kilometers and inside it there are always the same geometric structures perfectly alligned.
We can only immagine what hide...

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Nice find.
2nd line.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

HUH???

This Hellas Basin visible image is roughly 12 kilometers x 5 kilometers and inside it there are always the same geometric structures perfectly alligned.
We can only immagine what hide...

Let's look at the actual (and this is pretty recent) topography of Mars, based on latest satellite radar observations:

Hellas Planitia

In am sorry to burst your "bubble" on this......

Here is another SOURCE

AND another

And, another

AND....well...it goes on and on....Hellas Planitia

And HERE, yet again....just LOOK at the relative size, in this image....and THINK about a comparable size on our planet!!:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Sorry I don't understand your point...
Explain please. Thx

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

I would try to explain further, but.....I can only hope that the links that were embedded in that post will become visible to you.

IF they cannot be seen, then it is a problem out of my control. As ATS is an International site, of Internet access..My desire and hope is tnat ALL can view equally everything that is posted, on the Site...

The Internet links I provided don't all point to videos, so they should (I hoped) be viewable to all, regardless of Nation.

Again, I "hope" this is the case, for all......

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Your links works fine.

But I do not understand what is your point about Life (civilizations) under surface/on Mars.

My images are only a little part of the whole gigantic Hellas Planitia Region and they shows strange, unusual, geometric structures (buildings?) that cover an huge area.

Hellas Basin is one of the "hot spot" for reserch of life on Mars.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

When I came home from a late night of work last night, I found a two hour program showing about the Mars Phoenix mission. One of the scientists said that the atmosphere on Mars was about 1% that of earth.

I had no idea the difference was so substantial.

Looking it up: Atmosphere:

Earth 101.325 kPa
Mars 0.636 kPa

Also, I had the impression that the experiments carried on the Phoenix probe specifically designed to judge human habitability were about what resources might we not be required to bring with us. The Moon offered nothing to sustain human life-- so everything had to be brought.

Mars, is little better-- and the only reasonable hope, I think, was that we might find organic material suitable for nourishment. The Phoenix did not.

So, it appears that we would require pressure suits, oxygen, food and water, heat and shelter-- no different then the moon. Mars probably does not even have WiFi.

Finally,

Oxygen:

Earth:
We can create 97% oxygen easily by simply filtering out the Nitrogen (78%)-- those little units persons with Lung disease carry over the shoulders and which run on battery do that.

Mars:
Oxygen accounts for only 0.17% While we could filter out Carbon Dioxide (98%), Nitrogen (2.7%), and Argon (1.6%) to get to mostly oxygen-- but even that would be at a pressure of only 6/1000ths.-- so pressure suits would be required whether the human body could function at such low pressure or not.

From what I have read our individual cells would be able to contain the water in them if exposed to such low pressure-- so the exploding body and boiling blood thing seems to be the stuff of movies-- but not reality.

However, the saliva on your tongue would boil! Cool. Also even at 1 psi (normal is 14.7 psi), a test subject passed out from lack of ability to get oxygen to the blood.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
It amazes me how my contributions here get vastly ignored and negative comments when I'm just way ahead of the snarky mass media proclaiming life COULD have existed on Mars in the past.Ignore the evidence and remain blissfully ignorant in speculation.I can see.I have eyes.I use them.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

When the paradigm you use says there must be life in places other than Earth those are the conclusions you will reach. No evidence of life has been found, they are saying that parts of Mars could possibly sustain Earth microbial life. Not really Earth shattering news, and they took some liberties with the facts, as I think was already posted.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by vze2xjjk

Those pictures look to be taken at different angles, giving the appearance something has moved when it has not. how it looks to me.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Juston

It still baffles me why they call it the red planet.

They may want to try and do something with the cameras they use.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Frira

Don't believe the reports of atmosphere and pressure too weak on Mars to harbor big life like us and animals.The lies will be exposed soon enough.I found an animal similar to a sheep head fossil at Phoenix site. s12.photobucket.com... Your false book of lies statistics will never explain life on Mars,so let me show you.
Explain this guy looking at Spirit years ago.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

The wheel moves less than a mile an hour.So, who or what moved? Did the dragon move closer to the wheel or did the wheel move closer to the dragon?
Still the illusion of movement? The Grapefruit sized head pic above,to me is obviously dead and it has little sucker feet like a caterpillar located on belly,but submerged mostly in sand,so only 2 rows of sucker feet viewable of perhaps 10 to 20 more rows. Mars Dragon above,however is very curiously investigating Spirit rover wheels.Alive.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join