It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Tis the Season

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I'm sure we are all aware of the issues facing our populace. Jobs and money are scarce. People will go hungry, children will not see presents. I can be callous at times and very opinionated, but I do feel for those in need. To that extent, let me tell you a story.

My parents divorced in the late 60's when I was very young. I remember living in a 2 bedroom cottage with my mom and four brothers and sisters. My mom had just gotten welfare, and worked a part-time job to qualify. My dad had been in a very bad accident and was in the hospital in traction with a broken back. Christmas was rolling around, and there was no money. I was unaware at the time that we were poor. I was in kindergarten as any child, I was eagerly awaiting Santa. When Christmas came, there were presents under the tree, and lots of food an candy. I was in heaven. It wasn't until I was a grown adult that my mother told me about that Christmas.

She was broke, and we were facing eviction from our small cottage. Some of the women she worked with had found out about her situation, and donated everything we had gotten for Christmas. If it hadn't been for the kindness of those people, five small children would have lost faith.

I tell you this not for a sympathy or tear jerking moment, but to challenge you to be as those women were. Find a needy family in your town. Be their Santa. It doesn't take much to put a smile on a child's face. My wife and I will be placing wrapped gifts on the doorstep of a family this year on Christmas Eve. Will you accept the challenge and do the same?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

Good post haarvik. And words to live by.
Folks need to look out for each other.

join