It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skype data question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Ok I have no idea how skype works when it comes to streaming video and the amount of data it takes.

I want to know how much it takes to do video....... I dont know the term for the data lol all I can say is mb or whatever letter combo it is for video.

I want to talk to my bf overseas but he has limited streaming per month so I want to get an idea of what skype takes for a video..

sorry if this is vague, im not a computer data person

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I think depending on the camera(hd or not) you will end up using maybe 5 megs a minute streaming 2 way video. Could be as low as 2.5megs. I would say download a usage meter and just run a one minute video call and do the math. You can pick up a freeware meter online easy.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by drivers1492
I think depending on the camera(hd or not) you will end up using maybe 5 megs a minute streaming 2 way video. Could be as low as 2.5megs. I would say download a usage meter and just run a one minute video call and do the math. You can pick up a freeware meter online easy.

Thank you!!!! I will try that and when he is up I will let him know

He lives overseas so webcam is all we have to see each other and if we can get 15mins a month in Im happy

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Sure thing. Another consideration as well is maybe looking into other video chat apps. I really don't use any but skype and paltalk so I cant direct you there but you may find one that uses less data.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by drivers1492
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Sure thing. Another consideration as well is maybe looking into other video chat apps. I really don't use any but skype and paltalk so I cant direct you there but you may find one that uses less data.

Thanks
I will look into it!

The only webcam program I have ever used was skype, so I will look and see what else is available. Thanks again!

new topics

top topics

join