It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moore Wants a Best Picture Oscar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Just when you thought all the controversy was over, Michael Moore has found a way to keep his movie foremost in the mind of voters.

Michael Moore says he won't submit "Fahrenheit 9/11" for consideration as best documentary at this year's Academy Awards. Instead, he's going for the bigger prize of best picture.

Moore's critically acclaimed film slams President Bush's (search) War on Terror as ill-advised and corrupt. The movie has cheered Democrats but enraged the president's supporters, who booed Moore when he visited the Republican National Convention last week.

and

Moore also hinted in a recent interview in Rolling Stone he would like the movie to play on television before the presidential election. According to the rules of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, playing on TV would invalidate its contention in the documentary category, but not for best picture. With the movie coming out on DVD Oct. 5, it's not clear whether the TV deal would happen.

Love him or hate him - Moore seems to have had more impact on public opinion this year than either of the candidates.

Link: Foxnews

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Oh, that's the bomb. He's going to probably offer it to any network that will air it for free only to have them all turn him down (before the election), since the right wing will go nuts and threaten to sue and boycott if it airs, and he gets to claim censorship.

GENIUS!

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   
He wants Best Picture.

Of course he does!
Because he know's that it was NO documentary.

Sounds like he's fessing up eh?

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I actually like Moore, criticisms of him aside at least his movies and books get people to think about issues. Whether you love him or hate him is not the issue, but the fact that he at least tries to get people to do some research on some issues is a good thing. His movies are good because they instill anger, fear, sadness, etc. in the audience either torward or for his film, and that is something that every movie director, producer, actor, etc. wants.

PS- On top of what has been said already John McCain did a very good job promoting his movie at the RNC...its exactly what Moore wanted! As they say "any publicity is good, whether that publicity is good or bad."

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Oh, that's the bomb. He's going to probably offer it to any network that will air it for free only to have them all turn him down (before the election), since the right wing will go nuts and threaten to sue and boycott if it airs, and he gets to claim censorship.

I was thinking the same thing. I remember that you and I discussed Moore months ago and the fact that he will be studied in Poly Sci classes for years to come. He is bound and determined to go down in history as the first person to single-handedly change the course of an election. Donald Trump had his Art of the Deal - Moore will have the Art of Manipulation through Visual Imagery and Creative Editing Techniques.

Also makes me wonder why Kerry hasn't fired Mary Beth and hired Moore to run his campaign. He definitely couldn't do any worse.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 02:06 AM
link   
how foolish! he should of went for best documentary! i don't think Fahrenheit can win that one!

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   
It's an honor to be nominated. But yes, doubt this will play until a Dem is in the whitehouse. Of course, it isn't as though the film is bad, it is just the most funniest things I have ever seen. BFC was funny, Roger&Me was good, not as much humor, and the books are great, but F9/11? The best comedy/documentary/film I have seen in years. Now he needs to do one about Clinton, plenty of good material there.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
No way he'll get Best Picture. They (whoever decides such things) will be too afraid to even nominate him.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
If Moore gets the Best Picture award, who gets Best Actor?
Bush??!

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Moore knew he couldn't get away with pushing another
farce through as a 'documenatary'. He pulled it off with
'Bowling for Columbine' dispite all the falsehoods. Now
people are on to him. If he put F911 in for 'best
documentary' it would be torn to shreds and the falsehoods
would be wide open for all to see.

I wish he had put in for best documentary. F911 would have
been picked apart for the garbage that it is, and it would have
been picked apart over and over and over on the news. It
would have been a mess.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by valkeryie
If Moore gets the Best Picture award, who gets Best Actor?
Bush??!

HA!
Maybe best male actor in a comedy/musical. This could really open up some doors of opportunity to Bush if he doesn't win this election. His next project could be the remake of "The Jerk".

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Mpeake, love that avatar.

Hmmm. maybe Bush could try for a remake of Frankenstien, and instead of using Abby Normals brain, use his.

FlyersFan, he didn't try to get it through, they wanted to put it through, but he told them no. You sound like one of the Bushies who think Kerry Awarded himself 3 Purple Hearts even though it is your commanding officer that puts them in, not you.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Moore knew he couldn't get away with pushing another
farce through as a 'documenatary'. He pulled it off with
'Bowling for Columbine' dispite all the falsehoods.

I honestly think that a large part of this "stunt" is to get him back in the headlines, not to mention increase DVD sales. We should never forget that Moore's biggest fan is Moore and that his ego requires constant attention. Look at him at the RNC - he looked so down trodden until McCain actually mentioned him by name.

Moore is great a getting attention.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleys
Moore is great a getting attention.

Thats all it is, MONEY, more money for MM's pocket. MM doesn't care about the troops he is killing, Osama is probably Moores biggest fan. Lie after lie after lie AND THEN he calls it a documentary.

Michael Morre needs to point his cheeto-stained fingers somewhere else.

Bush 2004!!

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   
"The troops he's killing" - WTF!?!

Nothing, and I mean nothing has been assailed in a court of law, on F 9/11, by an administration that has threatened lawsuits against Republicans on their staff!!!

There are slick edits, but no facts to claim as false by this White House. If they could have, they would have sued to close it down. Even you must agree that Fascists like these, lead by Ashkroft, would have delighted in a suit against this film.

new topics

top topics

join