It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Water's Enthusiasts: My Lucky Day.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Hello ATS! If you've opened this thread, then I assume that you LOVE John Waters and all of his films. Please read on if you would like insight into my amazingly lucky day.

What I am about to tell you may make any John Water's fan very envious of me. Tonight, I had the opportunity to have three separate conversations with the pope of filth. I am not a person of the press, nor anyone of great importance, I am a 28 year old college student with short brown hair, and thick plastic glasses. I just happened to be in all the right places at the right times.

www.downtowntucson.org...

Today was a very unexpected day. I woke up this morning with no plans for the evening.This afternoon, a friend said that she had two extra tickets to go see John Water's perform his Christmas skit at the Rialto, here in Tucson. I thought that the tickets would be too expensive, so I did not look into buying any for myself. My friend sold me two tickets for $50 to go see John with her, and her partner. Mine and my friends ticket seats were in two different spots. She had reserved seats in the fifth row, and my seat was in the second to last row. Regardless, it was John Water's, my idol whom I quote on a daily basis! It didn't matter where I was in the theater, I was happy just being there. Seeing him perform was great, he's a dirty old man! Suddenly, towards the end of the skit, my friend ran back from the front seats, and then pulled me out of my seat to go up to the fifth row and sit with her! No one stopped us, from taking the empty seats. John Waters was like 15 feet away from me at that point.

After the show was over, John did a Q and A with the audience. It was a first-come-first serve Q and A, and as soon as I realized that, I raised my hand to ask the second question. He looked at me, and I said "First off, HI!", he laughed and said,"Hi." At that point, surrounded by a few hundred people, and with the John Water's attention on me, I felt this surge of energy blow through my body. I did not really have a question, so I instantly said the first thing that came to mind.

I can not use the exact wording that I used on this website, because it contained profanities. If any of you are familiar with the cult classic, Pink Flamingos, starring Mink Stole, and Divine, you know about the infamous chicken scene. I asked John if what happened in the chicken scene, did in fact happen in real life. Everyone laughed, and John Water's said his usual spheal about how the chicken had a good time, but died, in fact, a virgin. The actor that killed the chicken, cooked it and ate it. He said that was no different from the bird I ate last week. I yelled out that I was a vegetarian
I was pumped, I could not believe that I got to ask him a question!

Being able to directly ask John Waters anything, was cool enough, but the next thing that happened was like something out of a dream. After the show was totally over, my friends and I decided to go across the road to club Congress for some coffee and drinks. The place was crowded because they were having fundraisers for National AIDS day. We were just sitting on a booth, and then casually John Waters walks right in, like three feet away from our knees! I instantly sprang up to my feet, which totally invaded his personal space, and said, "Hey!" like he was my best friend. He had like three or four normally dressed security guys with him. I stuck my hand out and he shook it, smiled, then asked me how I was doing. I think that I said I was awesome, and asked him the same, then I thanked him for coming to Tucson.

My friends and I were giggling, and even took pictures of our hands! We continued talking for ten minutes about our favorite movies, and funniest quotes. If I had to absolutely pick my favorite John Waters film, it would be Female Trouble. I love Mink Stole's character Taffy. One of my favorite scenes is the fake car crash scene. What is your favorite Water's film? Favorite scene? Quote?

www.imdb.com...

My luck had been pretty incredible at this point, but it was about to get better. My friends and I decided to go through the main lobby of Congress, to go outside and have a cigarette. While walking through, we looked over at one of the tables, and John was sitting there with only like three other people. No one else was around him, it was so funny, the people at Congress didn't know who he was!
My cousin was already talking to him, and then ushered me over, I was like, "Wow, ok, THE creator of Female Trouble, Serial Mom, Hair Spray--ALL of the movies that I love, was within a one foot range of me asking me questions about my life.

My cousin had already told him that my dad was transgender, so John wanted to know more about him. He asked me quite a few questions about my dad, and his sexuality. He asked me how my mom felt about it and I told him that she didn't know until after they were married! He asked what my dad does, and unfortunately I had to tell him that he passed away 6 years ago. John asked me if it was from AIDS, and my cousin said "No. Hepatitis."

I told him that I grew up watching Divine, that I had seen Hair Spray when I was five, and Pink Flamingos (for the first time) when I was 12. He told me that it looked like I turned out ok. Haha. I thanked him for being who he was, and shook his hand again. Then, went away! There was no "Can I take a picture with you?" or "Can I have your autograph?" He was like meeting up with an old friend. Like I said in the beginning of this thread, I'm not anyone that stands out. Today, I got lucky. Right time, right place, all day.

If anyone wants to talk about some John Water's films, please start the conversation here!

This can be the official John Waters, Divine, and Mink Stole thread! Front Page!

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
sweet thread! my old buddy used to use the end of 'pink flamingos' when he needed to puke. i love waters but the early stuff is best- 'female trouble' or 'desperate living' are probably my favorites.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by godWhisperer

John said tonight that he regrets doing some of the things (including the chicken scene) on film when he was younger.

Female Trouble is amazing! I went through so many videos to find clips from that movie that did not contain profanity!

"The world of heterosexual's is a sick and boring life." Edith Massey

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
ha! edith was the one in the playpen, right?

and perhaps i'm mistaken about the scene at the end of flamingos ... isn't that the scene with divine eating, um, dog excrement? i remember the chicken scene, too. it's been a while since i watched that movie. my wife won't sit through it

man, that film was way out there. i love the part where divine steals the steaks from the butchers, that's in flamingos, right?

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Being a fan of underground and eccentric cinema I grew up loving Cecille B. Demented. I know it is considered his worst film but it had a big effect on me when the crew went by listing their favorite directors. That scene let me know that whatever crap the mainstream put out there is lots of stuff to explore you just gotta look.

new topics

top topics

join