It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rand Paul helps defeat S. 1867 bill.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Do you know what the reconciliation process entails?
How far back does the process go?

What will happen now is in order to present the bill to the president; either the Senate S. 1867 or H.R. 1540, they need to have the same text. This process is to ensure that the Senate doesn't pass bills that the House is unaware of and vice-versa.

While I am still researching H.R. 1540, I haven't found any language that is in question. This means that either the House has to go back and amend their version and re-vote on that amended bill or the Senate has to amend theirs and re-vote.

This is far from over unless there is some unholy deal-making happening in the back-rooms of Congress that is trying to streamline the process.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
In a nutshell ATSers we are F'ed BIG TIME...if we do not spread the word about this tyranny than we are just a waste of space...I'm truly disgusted by my elected officials...we need to call those out who voted to pass this bill and not re-elect them!! We also need to bring them to justice for their treasonous act against the American People and the Constitution.

Stuart Rhodes of OathKeepers said it best, "This is an act of war AGAINST the American People".

According to the treasonous bill - the National Defense Authorization Act - those of us who don't agree with it or bow to our "masters" can be detained without charge or trial...we can be a threat to their Anti-Freedom push!! This is an extremely serious issue...the government will use the military on American soil and paint a false picture to the press-itutes that YOU and I are extremists and a threat.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
This Senate bill still has to be reconciled with the House of Reps. That may or may not happen before the Christmas recess in about a week.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
this bill passed 93 - 7. what does this mean? and those that voted yes should be ashamed. is this country really turning into a martial state?

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

Wait hold on a second....I thought the Udall Amendment was what would eliminate that section that allows the government to detain Americans indefinitely. I thought that's what Rand Paul was pushing for people to vote on, and it didn't pass. Do I have that mixed up?

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

yes and no they gov can hold you, to determine your stance combatant, non combatant, or belligerent. then they can hold you till the wars, conflict ends turn you over to FBI for further question and lastly letting you go they can not hold any one indefinitely any more, they will have to let the Git mo prisoners go at some point if Obama makes this law.
If he does not pass S1867 then it is the same old same old TSA will hand you over to FBI, they will be no mass round ups of OWS, and we can still say Boo to you MR Pres for this mess.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Rand Paul and his dad are real patriots.

They won a superbowl with the american people's hearts.
edit on 2-12-2011 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

well on the Gov tracks web site it and the S1867 have passed and is now on the way to POTUS desk www.govtrack.us... as seen here from the link

Dec 1, 2011: This bill passed in the Senate with changes by Unanimous Consent. A record of each senator’s position was not kept.
View all 33 votes on this bill.
lets all hope this goes down in flames, for if it passes this country,the USA will be ripped apart. this si dealing with H.R. 1540: National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012

edit on 2-12-2011 by bekod because: editting

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
The Udall amendment failed, which was a good thing, but the language of the bill was tweaked, and the bill passed 93-7 last night. Rand Paul was one of the 7 nay votes. The bill is still very dangerous. They said it wasn't the "intent" of the bill, but it is still a possible outcome.

Now the bill goes to the House committee to be reconciled with the House language of the same bill. Hopefully it will be defeated there, but if it passes Obama has threatened veto. However, even if it is vetoed, it seems to have enough support to override the veto.

Kudos to Rand Paul for sticking it out all the way through though! We only have 93 traitor Senators now, instead of 100.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

THE BILL PASSED LAST NIGHT

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekod

well on the Gov tracks web site it and the S1867 have passed and is now on the way to POTUS desk www.govtrack.us... as seen here from the link

Dec 1, 2011: This bill passed in the Senate with changes by Unanimous Consent. A record of each senator’s position was not kept.
View all 33 votes on this bill.
lets all hope this goes down in flames, for if it passes this country,the USA will be ripped apart. this si dealing with H.R. 1540: National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012

edit on 2-12-2011 by bekod because: editting

Do you see the box that says: Differences Resolved -- That is the reconciliation process. Please stop saying this bill S.1867 or even HR 1540 are going to the President's desk. That is false.

There is differing language that needs to be reconciled.

From your link:

Status: Bill passed both chambers. Next: The bill may now proceed to a conference committee of senators and representatives to work out differences in the versions of the bill each chamber approved.

Pay attention people.
edit on 2-12-2011 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

In case anyone wanted to know what the "compromise" was it was Amendment 1456 Sen. Feinstein. The amendment to S1867 reads as follows:

Congressional Record - Senate Dec. 1 - Page 47 - Direct link to PDF file via the Senate.

Nothing in this section shall be construed to affect existing law or authority relating to the detention of United States citizens or lawful resident aliens of the United States or any other persons who are captured or arrested
in the United States.

That amendment was passed 99-1 with only Senator Kyl as the nay. If you go to the PDF file of S1867, this amendment is placed on page 360 between lines 21 and 22.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   

ok now that that is cleared up let it pass, for if your want to cause problems carrying out terrorist acts you should get the MAX for it.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

you do know if it passes the house and the senate then it goes to POTUS, it passed both www.opencongress.org... from the link

Introduced

House
Passed

Senate
Passed

President
Signs

04/13/11

05/26/11

11/30/11
now if there was a difference in languages it would have go on to committee not have passed both House and Senate

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by John_Rodger_Cornman

You mean they're the Saviors du Jour?

All I think of when I hear "Rand Paul" is Aqua Buddha!

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Yes I do know and there is differing language -- I do not believe the House bill has the "offending" language from the Senate bill -- though I am still scouring that bill. So it will go to committee most likely.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   

watch for the clause that suspends any protection at the governments discression

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Rand Paul has been taught well by his father. The Constitution shall not be sacrificed for anything, no, not even for a false sense of security.

Rand Paul for president 2016? He is more tolerable in the GOP than his even stricter Constitutionalist father, Ron.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones

watch for the clause that suspends any protection at the governments discression

In relation to what? I am not sure what point you are making here. Both Section 1031 and 1032 specifically state that nothing can be construed to affect existing law or authorities and that United States Citizens are not affected by Subsection D of S. 1867.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join