It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP Sources: House GOP bill renews jobless benefit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

WASHINGTON (AP) — House Republicans are drafting legislation to renew an expiring unemployment benefits program, officials said Thursday, and intend to add it to a planned extension of a Social Security payroll tax cut due to run out on Dec. 31.

The measure is expected on the House floor as early as next week, and marks the second sign in as many days that lawmakers in both parties are eager to close out the year with a compromise on key elements of President Barack Obama's jobs program. Republican officials say the cost of the extension of both programs will be covered within the measure, making sure deficits don't rise as a result. The officials who spoke did so on condition of anonymity to provide details in advance of a formal announcement.

Letting extended jobless assistance expire would mean that more than 6 million people would lose benefits averaging $296 a week next year, with 1.8 million cut off within a month. It was unclear what changes, if any, Republicans intend to propose for the unemployment benefit portion of the bill.

Senate Democrats want to levy a 3.5 percent surtax on million-dollar tax filers to cover the costs, while Senate Republicans unveiled an alternative on Wednesday that relies on freezing federal workers' pay through 2015 and reducing the government's bureaucracy by 200,000 jobs. The bill also would raise Medicare premiums for the wealthy, and take steps to deny unemployment benefits and food stamps to anyone with a seven-figure income.

news.yahoo.com... fcb475b8%2Fcomments%3Fcount%3D20%26sortBy%3Dlatest

Sometimes I can't believe what I read.

To extend long term unemployment benefits, Senate Republicans want to eliminate 200,000 government jobs. Yes, to extend unemployment benefits for those needing jobs, they want to add another 200,000 people to the unemployment line.

How in the hell does that make sense?

Some other things make some sense, raising premiums for the wealthy and denying those with 7 figure incomes from getting food stamps obviously makes sense and I don't know why this wasn't already a law.
edit on 1-12-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
They aren't saying that they will lay off 200k government employees. They will cut employment through attrition, retirement and a hiring freeze. They are not going to add 200K to the unemployment rolls.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Maybe they plan on cutting the jobs because they are unnecessary and frivolous. I don't condone people losing jobs but I think its fairly obvious that we have way more government employees and functions than we need. The sad thing is I'm sure the only people who will lose ther jobs will be far far below the average annual income bracket of those who are cutting the jobs. THOSE are the guys we really need to cut loose.

join