It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bio Concrete - Concrete That Repairs Itself

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
By infusing concrete with bacteria, when a crack forms the bacteria fill it and forms calcium carbonate.

Interesting Applications. Of course I'm sure that it will be tough to get it to be used due to the negative connotations of bacteria. And the fact that the more money a transportation department spends one year, the more they get next year...if they have a surplus, they get less the following year....so spend away boys....

Video

www.liveleak.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Nice find, i wonder what the lifespan of the bacteria is.

i also wonder waht would keep the bacteria from expanding beyond its borders?

Could the bacteria used mutate? Alot of questions, i am sure it is safe though...

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by KingAtlas

Ha, i didn't think of that....someone spills a soda on the road and in a week you've got a speed bump

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

Now concrete will go up 400% becuase they will lose money in the long run. This technology will only be available in government establishments, and the 1% housing.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by samlf3rd
reply to post by BadBoYeed

Now concrete will go up 400% becuase they will lose money in the long run. This technology will only be available in government establishments, and the 1% housing.

I doubt that. Calcium carbonate is chalk. While not soluble in water, it is perfectly soluble in mildly acidic solutions, whereas concrete is not.

Also, limestone is already a thing.

top topics

join