It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revealed: The 'secret' app installed on millions of mobile phones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
After accidently hitting 'Enter' & posting a blank thread, I've edited & included the info & article link to the topic.

I have an Android phone myself, so when I stumbled upon this bit of news, I was definitely startled..As I'm sure having such an App installed onto phones (at least in the UK), is breaking UK & EU laws, as part of the Date Prevention Act.

- Monitoring app on millions of phones 'reads' and transmits SMS messages
- Installed as standard on U.S. phones to let networks see how customers use their phones
- Also reads every Google search Transmits data to software creator
- Company has attempted to suppress reports

The company denies that its software is designed to spy on users. An Android app developer Trevor Eckhart showed that Carrier IQ - installed as standard on phones such as HTC's handsets, many Android handsets and some BlackBerries - can 'read' what users type. Eckhart demonstrated that not only does the software 'read' every keystroke put into a phone. The software also appeared to read every text message sent to the phone.

Revealed: The 'secret' app installed on millions of mobile phones that records your keystrokes, your browsing and reads your messages

However, another UK tabloid has just published an article, with UK networks insisting that mobile phones don't have this 'Carrier IQ' app software installed:

UK mobile networks have insisted that they do not install or use Carrier IQ's smartphone diagnostics software, after privacy concerns were raised in the US over its discovery on Android phones and Apple's iPhone there. Carrier IQ has said that its software is installed on more than 141m handsets worldwide, and that its "mobile intelligence" solution "eliminates guesswork by automatically providing accurate, real-time data direct from the source – your customers' handsets". The company claims that it is unique "because we are the only company embedding diagnostic software in millions of subscribers' phones".

Carrier IQ 'not used by UK mobile networks'

Thoughts?

edit on 1-12-2011 by SmoKeyHaZe because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-12-2011 by SmoKeyHaZe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
OK so what I'd really like to know is how I get rid of this app.

I'm so sick of the invasion of privacy in this society.

I want society to be destroyed so badly so I can go back to living as humans were intended to.

So mad. I am going insane with anger.
edit on 11/12/1 by metaldemon2000 because: Fixed post

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by metaldemon2000

It's a secret...duh - The title even says so.

Edit to add: There it is! S&F - Thanks for posting.
edit on 12/1/2011 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

edit on 12/1/11 by AnonymousCitizen because: deleted

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I wanna know what your thoughts are guys/girls, wherever you are.

I mean, due to the Patriot Act, I don't think it's breaking any US laws..With this diagnostic software having been installed in Androids AND iPhones.

In the US the software appears to be installed in a large number of Android phones, apparently at the request of mobile networks. An HTC spokeswoman told the Guardian that a number of the company's Android phones in the US include it at the request of carriers there, but that no European devices have been affected. The software appears to be installed on all versions Apple's iPhone where it can, with the user's explicit permission, send anonymised diagnostic information back to Apple, for examples when apps crash. However tests by Alasdair Allan, a British programmer, found that it does not have any access to keypad input, and that the data is only sent to Apple. Owners can disable the transmission of data by turning off a setting on the iPhone.

So it might be an idea to any iPhone users, to switch off the setting that sends any information to Apple.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
well since android is" linux" you would probably have to install a terminal app to get to the command line and get root access to track down a delete the hidden app.
You would have to know what directory it is in though.
I use linux on my computer and use the terminal every once in a while.
Though I have never tried running a terminal in android.
edit on 1-12-2011 by ELahrairah because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
This is already posted
here
here
and
here
edit on 1-12-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
My bad! Search failed me..Guess I didn't look hard enough.

Feel free to bin the thread mods

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SmoKeyHaZe

I do it all the time, I don't seem to get on with ATS search at all

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
key logger, nothing out of the ordinary.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by metaldemon2000

I want society to be destroyed so badly so I can go back to living as humans were intended to.

So why do you have this device? I don't think humans were intended to be using the internet or cell phones.
There are a few places in the world where you can still live as a hunter/gatherer. Who's stopping you?
Or are you just not happy with your position in the world?

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SmoKeyHaZe

You have to root your phone, meaning install a new version of the OS and then become administrator so that you can allow or deny any or all specific communication. The reason to root and become admin is so you can at least install third party firewall software. There are many self-help instruction documents on the internet that will tell you how step by step. Knowledge is power!

Cheers - Dave
edit on 12/1.2011 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by metaldemon2000
I'm so sick of the invasion of privacy in this society.

If you want to completely remove any technical invasion of privacy, get off the Internet, burn your PC and never leave the house,

I don't agree with this app due to the potential applications of it, not do I agree that every little move needs to be monitored, But in the modern world of competitive marketing, strategies and targeting have to keep moving along.

Realistically, If you are doing nothing wrong, then the only thing you have to worry about is an ad that is targeted to what you might like to see.

just my 2cents.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
google xda forum

learn how to put a custom rom on your android

i run a custom rom and i dont have this app on my android.

i havnt done any looking into this app but i would think it would be installed by your cell phone operator, so call them and ask why they are logging your keystrokes then file a complaint with the FTC

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Nice thread.
I don't own new phones so I'm not worried. I always use a pay phone anyway.
My mobile phone is always turned off and it's a very simple one with nothing on it, just so I can ring for an emergency.
If I had a phone like you Smokey i'd be paranoid.
Good one for making this thread to let others know, welldone

Big brother is watching, always.
S&F.

edit on 3-12-2011 by Dr Cosma because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I choose not to be enslaved by technology. I didn't invent any electronic device to trust it enough to think it was made for my benefit. This assumed trust that everyone has with all his junk is ridiculous. Turn off the distractions and evolve to be yourself or become one of the controlled. Good Luck
edit on 12/3/11 by him777 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/3/11 by him777 because: spelling

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by him777

I choose not to be enslaved by technology. I didn't invent any electronic device to trust it enough to think it was made for my benefit. This assumed trust that everyone has with all his junk is ridiculous. Turn off the distractions and evolve to be yourself or become one of the controlled. Good Luck
edit on 12/3/11 by him777 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/3/11 by him777 because: spelling

You only invented the device you are posting on right now?

Most of what has been developed has been made to make every day communication easier between one another, and in turn increase sales due to the laziness of society.

However, the lines are crossed from time to time. It is nothing more sinister than gmail picking keywords of your emails and creating targeted banner advertising in your side column. Must there be a sinister ulterior motive for everything? I think sometimes people enjoy the idea of being scared.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Here in Portugal, if you want you can go to your mobile phone provider local store and ask for a list of all sms you (or anyone else you want, as long as you can provide the necessary info about your friends phone and such) sent and received in that month, or even a list of phones you called or received a call. This is publicaly known to be the way portuguese police "spies" on its suspects, along with the famous "telephone tapping".

So in theory every phone should have an app to spy its user. This is not new.. :S

new topics

top topics

join