It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Is Protesting An Obama NYC Fundraiser Today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
"Update: Meet at Bryant Park at 6 PM, with the march to the presidential fundraiser leaving just after 6:00
---
On the evening of Nov. 30, President Obama will come to Manhattan to raise funds from the 1% for his reelection campaign. Dinner with the president will cost $35,800 to attend - higher than the average American's yearly income. As stated by Occupy Wall Street: "No true democracy is attainable when the process is determined by economic power."

Thus, we will demonstrate against such egregious acts of politicians selling themselves to highest corporate bidder. In doing so, we hope to spark a nationwide conversation on getting the corrupting influence of money out of our politics.

This event is non-partisan. It is not advocating for or against any particular candidate. Rather, it is advocating against the corrupting influence of money on our politics."

This was from the event group on facebook

Glad to see Occupy is moving in the right direction.

edit on 30-11-2011 by CREAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Evoking their right to free speech to try to diminish others right to theirs?

Doesn't make sense.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Evoking their right to free speech to try to diminish others right to theirs?

Doesn't make sense.

They are not diminishing others rights, the people who want to donate to Obama will not be prevented from doing so, occupiers will be outside, I am sure secret service will prevent them getting into the event.

I imagine you are using sarcasm though, if so cheers.

Paying $35,000 to eat dinner with Obama is like a Political pay-o-la. (Payola is slang for bribing a radio station to play your song to make sheeple think it's popular)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

So you want to go but can't afford it, is that it? Or the dinner should be reasonably priced so that more people can attend? I do not see the problem

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Many Occupy movements have made a point to protest Obama HQ's and such in the recent past.

It is good to see that they are being consistent and non-partisan.

I find it funny though that the anti-OWS crowd should LOVE this sort of action, yet it seems they think it's an attack on free speech!

Damned if you do, damned if you don't!

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
Many Occupy movements have made a point to protest Obama HQ's and such in the recent past.

It is good to see that they are being consistent and non-partisan.

I find it funny though that the anti-OWS crowd should LOVE this sort of action, yet it seems they think it's an attack on free speech!

Damned if you do, damned if you don't!

"Damned if you do, damned if you don't!"

Exactly, I need to practice moderation and stop feeding the trolls.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I have not been an OWS supporter--I've been a critic of the movement.

BUT I can support this. They are protesting the way the government and the financial institutions are intertwined. All along I've been saying that they need to target the government.

See! No blind hatred here from this anti-OWS chick. I think this is a step in the right direction from the OWS crowd.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrimalRed
reply to post by CREAM

So you want to go but can't afford it, is that it? Or the dinner should be reasonably priced so that more people can attend? I do not see the problem

I do see your point. If the point of their protest is "no one should spend this much for a fundraiser" then I disagree with what they are doing.

If, instead, the point of their protest is to show their distain for the way the government and _______ (fill in the blank with anything that fits) practice cronyism, then I am for the protesting.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl
I have not been an OWS supporter--I've been a critic of the movement.

BUT I can support this. They are protesting the way the government and the financial institutions are intertwined. All along I've been saying that they need to target the government.

See! No blind hatred here from this anti-OWS chick. I think this is a step in the right direction from the OWS crowd.

Glad to see someone reasonable here.

People have turned this into an all or nothing cause where many non supporters don't support any of it, and supporters support all of it(honestly I have been guilty of that sometimes), but obviously it's not so simple with so many factors going on.

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl
I do see your point. If the point of their protest is "no one should spend this much for a fundraiser" then I disagree with what they are doing.

If, instead, the point of their protest is to show their distain for the way the government and _______ (fill in the blank with anything that fits) practice cronyism, then I am for the protesting.

This is the stated point they are protesting:

"No true democracy is attainable when the process is determined by economic power."

noting more nothing less

I am sure individuals there will have their own reasons, but regardless, the above is the message they are sending.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

"No true democracy is attainable when the process is determined by economic power."

Good thing we aren't a "true democracy".

And under what system do you want to live where the government can tell you what you can and can't do with your own money???

top topics

join