It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Korea's Lee Myung-bak dons thermal pants to save power

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

South Korea's Lee Myung-bak dons thermal pants to save power

www.bbc.co.uk

South Korea's president has said he will wear thermal underwear during the winter, as part of the government's effort to avoid power shortages.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Yes I know it's a bit of a silly story but I have always done this, instead of leaving the heating on all winter I wear long johns and a big jumper.
So why don't we all turn down the heating and get our Gran's knitting some wooly sock's/jumpers and the money you will save give to the older folk so they can turn up the heating

I think back when I was a kid and we used to have one hot bath a week (flannel wash every day) and we shared the water. Now we have a shower everyday and waste all that water energy.
So flannel wash every other day and wear your horrid xmas jumpers and save the planet

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

We shouldnt have to. I guess you are from a farm. Did you only flush for a number two? Or were your parents hippies? Why isnt energy getting cheaper? Its a genius scam that the oligarchs have played on us by fooling environ-mentalists. Why shouldnt we all have long hot showers and air conditioning and heat? I am not a hippy or environmentalist and I dont live on a farm or in medievil times. We need to burn more coal not less until a natural transition can be made that does not reduce our standard of living. Why are we going backwards? And why do some cheer for it?
edit on 28-11-2011 by theovermensch because: typo

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by theovermensch

Nope not a farm boy but when the one bath day a week happened it was the late 70's and in the UK we had a energy problem.
But I don't agree with you I do believe we have damaged the planet by using to much fuel etc so I do think this is a good idea.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

I am all for maintaining the environment but why do we have to wear jumpers to do it? Cant we have cheap energy and a clean environment? They could make solar alot cheaper to get into if they tried.But everything has to be for profit so they wont.It doesnt make sense for them to make free energy accessible to the poor and middle class who would benifit the most from it. They need healthy profit margins for anything to be worth it. Tax-payer grants for things like Solyndra are crony capitalism but they are also a scam designed to fleece us for as much as possible. If the next 'public works' was to get every home owner fully powered by solar it would fix almost everything. People would have more disposable income and the envronment would be better off. We should focus on industry after every home is off the grid. There is alot we could do.Remember in 'Back to the Future 2' when they are in the future and Micheal J Fox's future son asks for fruit and an advanced hydroponic set up comes down from above the dining table and he picks of some fruit and sends it back up? Why dont we have advanced hydroponic set-ups in every home giving us basically free food? Because that wouldnt be profitable at all.Instead they want us to pay a fortune for fruit and prevent us from growing our own by making seeds sterile and companies like monsanto trying to monopolize food. They make things seem hard but we let them. We went to the moon for god sake,we can solve an energy problem and protect the environment but they arent even trying to find solutions. They are trying to create industries.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

And that is totally interesting that you experienced an energy shortage.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by theovermensch

Nope not a farm boy but when the one bath day a week happened it was the late 70's and in the UK we had a energy problem.
But I don't agree with you I do believe we have damaged the planet by using to much fuel etc so I do think this is a good idea.

There are people who would love to be able to "flannel wash" (not sure what that term means) everyday, but alas, they are too poor and most are homeless.

The amount of coal still unmined in the United States is staggering, and our government through the E.P.A. has determined we should not mine it, and the competition of coal mining from China put us under, we could not compete with the low prices of Chinese coal. We also have large reserves of oil but our government, through the E.P.A, has determined not to drill for it.

We have enough coal and oil in the United States to take care of this country for a long, long time but I think this is reason we don't use it, the United States government allows the rest of the world to use up theirs and the only place it will be left is here, and by doing that, the United States will be able to control the world's natural resources.

Why do people not question why oil drilling is occurring off the coast of Florida, and yet it is not an American company drilling? And the BP oil spill was a British problem but it affected here. Yes, BP supplied jobs to Americans, but also took away another livelihood from Americans. But the point is, BP is not an American company. If the United States really had no oil, they would not be here getting it.

The only way to solve the energy crisis for England is to limit the number of people who are coming to England, to refurbish all the houses to be more energy efficient by putting more insulation in them. I think the British government should give all the house owners and residents a credit to get more insulation in the houses. There are certain types of insulation that are environmentally friendly. And maybe perhaps more houses in England could be set for solar power, to make the cost low enough to install it.

But more insulation is a good start. I mean look at the people who live in cold climates, like Alaska and Greenland, they do something to stay warm in winter.

Green building is on the rise, along with energy prices and customer demand for buildings that can hold up to severe weather. As a result, many customers are turning to concrete for their homes and buildings, and a growing number of them are choosing to build concrete structures with ICFs (insulating concrete forms).

By now familiar to most builders in Alaska, SIPs are made from expanded polystyrene (EPS) or polyisocyanurate rigid foam insulation sandwiched between two structural sheets of oriented strand board. About 12,000 homes were built with SIPs in 2002, according to the Gig Harbor, Wash.-based Structural Insulated Panel Association.

Insulating homes in Alaska

I think with the cost incurred for better insulation is far less than the cost of treating British people for medical conditions that can be prevented, such as pneumonia and upper respiratory infections arising from inadequate housing for winter.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by theovermensch

I am all for maintaining the environment but why do we have to wear jumpers to do it? Cant we have cheap energy and a clean environment? They could make solar alot cheaper to get into if they tried.But everything has to be for profit so they wont.It doesnt make sense for them to make free energy accessible to the poor and middle class who would benifit the most from it. They need healthy profit margins for anything to be worth it. Tax-payer grants for things like Solyndra are crony capitalism but they are also a scam designed to fleece us for as much as possible. If the next 'public works' was to get every home owner fully powered by solar it would fix almost everything. People would have more disposable income and the envronment would be better off. We should focus on industry after every home is off the grid. There is alot we could do.Remember in 'Back to the Future 2' when they are in the future and Micheal J Fox's future son asks for fruit and an advanced hydroponic set up comes down from above the dining table and he picks of some fruit and sends it back up? Why dont we have advanced hydroponic set-ups in every home giving us basically free food? Because that wouldnt be profitable at all.Instead they want us to pay a fortune for fruit and prevent us from growing our own by making seeds sterile and companies like monsanto trying to monopolize food. They make things seem hard but we let them. We went to the moon for god sake,we can solve an energy problem and protect the environment but they arent even trying to find solutions. They are trying to create industries.

I agree 100% with you on all your points but the point is we are not doing any of the things because of what you said "money is to be made" so the fat cats keep on telling us we need to live the way they tell us too.

Lee Myung-bak is still doing something I admire, If your warm enough with a jumper on why bother taking it off and turning on the heating? and at the end of the day it will save you money.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I think the point of the article was missed. This isn't an argument about how to move forward or why we don't drill for oil or mine coal. It is about 1 man saying he is willing to put up with being a little chilly in order to conserve energy. Thats the idea. Conserve what we have. It seems that a lot of Americans still feel entitled to consume everything they can and instead of making some common sense choices. There is no need to focus only on yourself and justify overconsumption simply because you can afford it or because it is there or because you are used to a particular way of life. We are a part of the Earth even though most are taught that we own the Earth and that we can tear through resources without a thought to what is happening as a result.
We are NOT superior and if I have to wear an extra layer of clothes so I can turn the heat down a little to conserve energy, then so be it. We all have to take responsibility for our planet because without it we would be kaput. Just remember, small changes can make a big difference over time.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggypogo

Star for you Sir couldn't/didn't say it better myself

new topics

top topics

join