It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Lifeboat Postulate

page: 1

join
share:
Odd

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 01:55 PM
link   
All right, everyone, I have a question for you. My roommate and I were debating this question over some drugs the other night, and it led to a lengthy and fascinating conversation... perhaps it will do the same here.

Imagine that you are the leader of the world's most powerful nation-- call it what you will. The opening salvos of a nuclear holocaust have already been fired, and will strike ground and destroy society as we know it in just a few hours.

As the leader of this powerful nation, you have the resources (perhaps a Star Wars satellite system) to deflect the attacks upon just a few nations, saving them, their people, and their governments.

Assuming you can prevent the annihilation of only a few other nations (let's say five), who do you save, and why?

Personally, I would save America, England (and as much as the rest of Great Britain as possible), Canada, Australia (assuming they were involved, which they may not have been), and western Europe insofar as I could. The narrow cultural scope of my choices is a purely selfish thing--- I would preserve as much of the modern world as I could, while saving those nations that are relatively advanced in human rights as I percieve them (please don't bother berating me with your "America is the biggest human rights offender in the world" crap, because it isn't...).

I look forward to your own opinions... have fun

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
fair enough list i think, i certianly agree with it. i would also try to maybe work in an asian country, most likely japan due to their technological prowess.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I'm not so sure I would save the US. Can one save part of it and not another? I would go the the nations that have historically and currently shown to be hearty and have good systems that could be used to repopulate and survive such a catastrophe. I can imagine the Americans (which I am one of) would be whining about how tragic it all was and who could be sued and blamed for it before doing a thing to move on and build a stronger union with the other nations remaining on earth.

We'd want nations with technological skill, agricultural skill, oceanic experience, spiritual wealth, and a people of stregnth and perserverance.

Portugese come to mind... so perhaps I'd pick Brazillians, Australians, Japanese, Italians (just for the art alone would be worth saving from obliteration), and hmm. I can't decide on a 5th.

I want to say Israel including the Jewish and the Muslim residents, but they'd have to behave, and that might lead to more conflict. The Bedouins could teach the rest of is a few things about survival though. The Russians are a hearty bunch... China has potential... I can't decide.

Let's change the rules and save a region where countries overlap instead of individual nations, OK?

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Do I have to take into account my country as one of the five and nuclear fallout and wind paterns - cause mexico and canada's future depends on it

Assuming I don't. I would go with England (our closest ally), Australia (I surf
), Scottland (I have a lot of Scottish in me), Irland (see last one, plus you gotta have someone to drink with), and New Zealand (haven't been there, I hear it's unbelievable)

If I have to get rid of one of those because I have to include the US, it would be New Zealand.

Seriously though, the reasons I pick these places is that our culture is very alike, which means there is a smaller chance of future war.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   
America-Cause it's where I live and I like it.
Mexico-They're tough and would help us rebuild. They also seem to be a cheerful family oriented people.
Great Britain (all of it includeing scotland and Ireland)-They're an ancient country compared to us and we need a little history and culture left in the world.
Australia-I like their attitude, it kinda reminds me of us Americans
Canada-I have a Canadian friend and I would'nt want his home destroyed.

top topics

join