It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Battlefield Earth?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Last night (well this morning at around 1am) I was watching the film battlefield earth on ITV/Channel 3 (brit tv) and at the end a guy teleports to the alien's home planet with a small nuclear bomb, detonating it and destroying the entire planet, is there anything that can do that? Or in the future could anything do that?

Oh if you haven't seen the film it was pretty stupid, a bunch of dumb dumbs learn how to fly harrier jump jets and kill a load of aliens

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   
yea iv seen battle field earth and of corse it was DUMB what do you expect when john trovolta stars in it? lol as for the boom read the book there aire has a cemical in it that recats to the radeation causing the chain reaction Enstine was worried about with our first Nuk.
As for 1 boom being able to destroy a whole world look up anti matter.
a 100o pounds of that would do the trick im sure.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 10:29 AM
link   
the reason why the nuke destroy's the aliens planet is because the nuclear radition reacts with their atmosphere, creating a super nuke

I watched it to, bad film

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Wasn't a very good movie. I always wondered, how the hell did primitive people like they had learn to fly harriers. I mean it takes any pilot years to master harriers like they did in the movie. But the nuke thing seemed slightly strecthed but sure why not. I guess the nuke thing is possible if it reacts to their atmoshpere. The harrier scene still makes me laugh at how far hollywood has fallen.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Mabey their atmoshphere was made out of propane and on spark blew up the planet
, i've never seen the movie buts it sounds like predators selfdesrtuct device or something.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   
There was something about their planet that when the nuclear weapon was used it started a chain reaction that destroyed the planet. The nuclear weapon did not destroy the planet it simple started the reaction.

I forgot what made the alien planet different from earth though its been so long since Ive seen that movie.

I think the post about the atmosphere as the cause is correct as the aliens could not breath our air and we could not breath their air.

[edit on 5-9-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Personally I loved the movie and loved the book even more.

And NO i am not a scientologist.

The nuke set off because of a reaction that the alien's (jebus i can't remember their names!) atmosphere has with ighly radioactive material.

To me the training scenes seemed to be a montage of them actually learning, which took a long time.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 07:35 PM
link   
worst sci fi movie EVER! who ever made that pice of crap should never write again. i could do a better job than that

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   
If I recall (the movie version), it was a methane atmosphere or some crap like that. The fact is though, a nuke would not be able to ignite their atmosphere, or do anything of the sort - they're is no damn oxygen for the methane to ignite! It was just bad science. I don't know how they explained it in the book (who in their right mind would read that "Scientologist's" manual?), but, thats what I recall from that piss-poor excuse of a movie.

The problem with most movies is inconsistencies.

BTW, if I recall, they got "smart" and learned to fly the harriers from the learning machine - the one with that extinct alien species (living on as AI) as the teacher.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I really loved Battlefield Earth. I don't know one person who liked the film other than me, but I liked it so much I bought it on dvd.

The only thing I really didn't like about it was the scene transitions. Yes, parts of it were unrealistic. Like the humans learning to fly jets in a matter of days, not to mention find (and learn to use) nuclear weapons. However, it is no more unlrealistic than most of the Hollywood sci-fi movies.

top topics

join