It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How long till the US becomes like this? Or will we just go into our shells and hide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
At some point for REAL change there will need to be a revolution and not just protests.

Thousands of people defied tear gas wafting across Cairo's Tahrir Square, the hub of protests swelling since Friday into the gravest challenge yet to the generals who replaced Mubarak and who seem reluctant to relinquish their power and privilege.

news.yahoo.com...

I see that almost everywhere people revolt EXCEPT the US. yet, almost everyone in the US wants REAL change like Obama promised and did not deliver. Are we the land of the free? Or are we the land of make-believe where we just think we are free and OUR vote will make the difference? Democrat/Republican, really what is the difference? Neither have done us any good for a long time and are just the puppets for the people behind the curtain.

The United States, which gives Egypt's military $1.3 billion a year in aid, has called for restraint on all sides and urged Egypt to proceed with elections due to start on Monday despite the violence, a stance broadly echoed by many European leaders.

The US gives the Egypt military 1.3 billion each year why? Instead of just taking away the money they call for "elections". Really? I see that "elections" are working out just great for us right now. How will "elections" help when they are rigged? I mean, whoever is in office is really working for the group behind the scenes so why does it matter if a republican or democrat gets in office becuase in the end they are just the same.

Will we ever revolt, or hind in our shells until we are all living in tents?

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
There will never be a revolution like this in America unless a few criteria are met:

1. Said demonstrations must occur at a location that has a Starbuck's conveniently located nearby.

2. The planners of any uprising should schedule it accordingly so that the protesters are home in time to watch Dancing With the Stars.

3. There absolutley must be some type of Wi-Fi, or at the very least 3G connection, so that anyone participating can snap a picture with their smartphone and immediately upload it to their Facebook account and update their status so all family and friends know that said person(s) are participating in the revolution.

The answer to your question is obvious. Never. Because most Americans are too lazy and self-centered to champion for any type of change and our government knows this.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by LightSource

Do you want the US to look like this? I certainly don't. Total chaos helps who. Certainly not the people. The US is currently being governed by an illusion of law. Chaos takes away the need for even an illusion. Maybe the American people are a little wiser than TPTB give them credit for. Nothing can be worse that peaceful martyers, when true injustice is exposed. They are few we are many. There has never been a people ruled or army kept unless the people are convinced they are in the right and there is good cause. Can anyone convince that unabashed brutality is just? Can one convince that criminal activity and theft is good cause? TPTB want nothing more than to side track their deeds and focus on war in the streets..

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Hopefully this won't happen in the us... at least until we know what comes after. frankly, that is the key missing part to most of the protests I see here in America. Everyone says the system is broken or corrupt or they want change... the stickler is... change to what?

As for the example you give in Egypt... they got change.. and the change is not good. Already, their are protests to the strict military takeover tightening it's grip on the people. So, is that what you want? martial law? totalitarian state run government?

How about Lybia...? Islamic fundamentalist takeover? Sharia Law?

How about Chinese type government? Where Communism and capitalism have blended into a wacked out state of Fascism... where tanks roll over protestors in Tiannamen Square and workers are so abused they jump out of factory windows. Yup... is that Utopia?

No... Americans want change... but controlled and civil change... not utter chaos.... And for now are trying to demonstrate that in legal fashion. God forbid the day we go to Civil War... read about the first one to see how that turned out.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by IamAbeliever
There will never be a revolution like this in America unless a few criteria are met:

1. Said demonstrations must occur at a location that has a Starbuck's conveniently located nearby.

2. The planners of any uprising should schedule it accordingly so that the protesters are home in time to watch Dancing With the Stars.

3. There absolutley must be some type of Wi-Fi, or at the very least 3G connection, so that anyone participating can snap a picture with their smartphone and immediately upload it to their Facebook account and update their status so all family and friends know that said person(s) are participating in the revolution.

The answer to your question is obvious. Never. Because most Americans are too lazy and self-centered to champion for any type of change and our government knows this.

You gave me a laugh with the 3 criteria's however sadly I have to agree with you. Most are to concerned with who get voted off then what is going on around them and how to fix the issues that we face. Maybe when they are living in a tent they will open there eyes.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by redrose123

Do you want the US to look like this? I certainly don't. Total chaos helps who. Certainly not the people. The US is currently being governed by an illusion of law. Chaos takes away the need for even an illusion. Maybe the American people are a little wiser than TPTB give them credit for. Nothing can be worse that peaceful martyers, when true injustice is exposed. They are few we are many. There has never been a people ruled or army kept unless the people are convinced they are in the right and there is good cause. Can anyone convince that unabashed brutality is just? Can one convince that criminal activity and theft is good cause? TPTB want nothing more than to side track their deeds and focus on war in the streets..

Ok so when they are "exposed" then what? I told ya so and lets go back to the illusion? What do you do when they are "exposed"? If they are so "few" then why do the "few" control everything and we just sit and do nothing. A revolt needs to happen for change sorry but its just how it is.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by IamAbeliever

Our revolution started in a pub, just saying.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone
Hopefully this won't happen in the us... at least until we know what comes after. frankly, that is the key missing part to most of the protests I see here in America. Everyone says the system is broken or corrupt or they want change... the stickler is... change to what?

As for the example you give in Egypt... they got change.. and the change is not good. Already, their are protests to the strict military takeover tightening it's grip on the people. So, is that what you want? martial law? totalitarian state run government?

How about Lybia...? Islamic fundamentalist takeover? Sharia Law?

How about Chinese type government? Where Communism and capitalism have blended into a wacked out state of Fascism... where tanks roll over protestors in Tiannamen Square and workers are so abused they jump out of factory windows. Yup... is that Utopia?

No... Americans want change... but controlled and civil change... not utter chaos.... And for now are trying to demonstrate that in legal fashion. God forbid the day we go to Civil War... read about the first one to see how that turned out.

There is a big difference right now in the US and that is the "people" have arms which is why the government came out with fast and furious to give guns to the cartels and make it look like we need more gun control. That is the one bit of leverage that we have. Do you think for one second if we didn't have arms the government wouldn't be doing the same thing to us that they do everywhere else?? Think about it, the only reason that doesn't happen here is because we have arms and they are trying to take it away from us and many people follow the sheep in line to get more gun control.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

I couldn't agree more... and I might add that the citizenry, as well as the government, are avoiding violent protests for this very reason.

The old addage that "When you pull a gun, you better be ready to shoot it." is true... and lies in the back of the mind of each gun owner. So, before we reach that point... we want to make sure that we have exhausted all rational and reasonable means of peaceful protests.

Too many people have a family member in the US that participated in the US Civil War of 150 years ago... that's only 2-3 generations for many of us. We have heard the horror stories and many amateur historians of that war have books and pictures of it's consequences.

We know at Cold Harbor, 7000 men died in 20 minutes... we know that at Antietam 58,000 Americans were killed in 2 days battle... more than in 8 years in Viet nam... we have seen the arms and legs missing from wounded veterans of those bloody campaigns. We all have grand parents and uncles and aunts that passed down the stories of hunger, innocent bloodshed, raids, rape and pillage, and utter destruction that befell even the innocent bystanders of that war.

We are peacefully trying to avoid such circumstance now.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
It's coming............the 99% are finally waking up here in America.

However it's a little late. We are already living in a Police State. It might take a lot of very courageous action to reverse the corruption that has been allowed to take root in our country, our world.

1970 Kent State Ohio............a young unarmed protester killed - it's alright for a cop to kill a student protesting but hey, you even look threatening to a cop and you will have 10 all over you beating the $hit out of you or worse.

Currently........

Skull cracked!!!!!!!!!!! A armed police vs a unarmed citizen with the right to demonstrate......free? Yeah right.

It's going to escalate and as soon as one of the protestors fights back.........would you just sit there and let someone beat the frap out of you or pepper spray you????

As soon as one of these protestors fights back, defends him/herself............there is going to be trouble.

It's okay for any cop to abuse a citizen but let a citizen that is demonstrating defend him/herself and than it's called "disrespect for the law"

What about disrespect for the citizens that pay the bulk of the taxes?

For God's sake will you anti OWS'ers read Naomi Wolf's two books, "The End of America" and "Give Me Liberty".

She interviewed survivor's of Hitler's Germany and one old woman said, "it's Germany all over again, it's Germany all over again and they just don't see it coming"..........................put down your friggin cell phones, xboxes, remotes, keyboards and start to research and get involved.

Nope, the cops haven't come for you yet...................but as time goes by you, your son, your best friend, your brother or sister may "get on the list".

The End of America is a real call to arms and a open your friggin eyes. This isn't just about Wall Street, this is about a corrupt system. I found both Ms. Wolf's books 5 star reads and will not lend them out to anyone because they are that important to me.

People need to stop allowing themself to be dumbed down...........educate yourself, open your eyes please. Because what you think will never affect you, will.

Freedom does not come free.

edit on 22-11-2011 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone

I couldn't agree more... and I might add that the citizenry, as well as the government, are avoiding violent protests for this very reason.

The old addage that "When you pull a gun, you better be ready to shoot it." is true... and lies in the back of the mind of each gun owner. So, before we reach that point... we want to make sure that we have exhausted all rational and reasonable means of peaceful protests.

Too many people have a family member in the US that participated in the US Civil War of 150 years ago... that's only 2-3 generations for many of us. We have heard the horror stories and many amateur historians of that war have books and pictures of it's consequences.

We know at Cold Harbor, 7000 men died in 20 minutes... we know that at Antietam 58,000 Americans were killed in 2 days battle... more than in 8 years in Viet nam... we have seen the arms and legs missing from wounded veterans of those bloody campaigns. We all have grand parents and uncles and aunts that passed down the stories of hunger, innocent bloodshed, raids, rape and pillage, and utter destruction that befell even the innocent bystanders of that war.

We are peacefully trying to avoid such circumstance now.

It would be nice if we could peacefully solve the problems we face, maybe 10 to 15 years ago it could have worked. What i feel the governemnt is now is just a bunch of mobsters. They don't care if we hold signs and protest as long as at the end of the day they keep getting our money and are allowed to do whatever they like.
Everyday now i see more and more change that hurt the common people. Higher gas, higher food prices, less wages, less jobs. If things keep going the way they are and a few hold signs in protest more and more people will join the tent cities around the US. I wish it could be solved peacefully but that day is long gone in my opinion.

top topics

join