It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egyptian Military Say Their Tactics Are no Worse Than the Methods Used by US police Against OWS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

The Egyptian military, battling renewed demonstrations in Tahrir Square, have defended their used of force against protesters by comparing themselves to police in the US who are dealing with the Occupy protests.

According to various sources, officials on Egyptian TV have asked why they are being criticised when similar tactics are allegedly being used against peaceful protesters in America.

The comments come in the wake of controversial tactics used by police in a number of US cities. Just in the past week, 84-year-old Dorli Rainey was allegedly pepper-sprayed by police at Occupy Seattle and protesters at UC Davis were pepper-sprayed after police claimed they felt threatened by a bunch of people sitting on the ground.

Source

I think they might have a point. You be the judge.

EGYPT

U.S.A.

I'm not condoning the excessive force that the protesters and police are are using in either country, nor am I choosing sides. I just thought I would share the viewpoint discussed in this article.
edit on 21-11-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
When are these people going to start defending them selfs? I saw a thread the other day that talk about what we learned in school. One of the points made was that we learned if you get into a fight and are defending your self you are just as wrong as the person starting the fight. What bull #. Maybe this is why people think that a peacefull protest is "the right way". If you show that you will defend your self then they wont pull the guns outs. They are out numbered. They are beating people and arresting them to make them scared of standing up for their rights. Stop being scared and defend your self.
edit on 21-11-2011 by 8ILlBILl8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by 8ILlBILl8

I agree with you 100%.

I always try to watch what I say on these OWS threads because a lot of the time it will be taken the wrong way.

Terms and conditions forbid me to explain how I really feel about all this and how I would like to deal with the blatant disrespect for our rights on a daily basis. If it was up to me things would have gotten ugly a long time ago.

I have learned a lot from both sides of the fence on this topic from reading on the discussions. These police are pushing their luck and are about to cause North America to plunge into mob rule. They're lucky winter is upon us.

Our North American police officers need to stop treating us like we are in a third world dictatorship.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Exactly a like

CAIRO (AP) - Security forces fired tear gas and clashed Monday with several thousand protesters in Cairo's Tahrir Square in the third straight day of violence that has killed at least 22 people and has turned into the most sustained challenge yet to the rule of Egypt's military

The similarities are uncanny ... except for all the dead bodies.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

According to various sources, officials on Egyptian TV have asked why they are being criticised when similar tactics are allegedly being used against peaceful protesters in America.

Hmm, not really a good comparison considering the death toll, and really, just look at the footage, on the crust it seems similar, but there's a huge difference, i don't see many OWS protesters being beaten to death in the streets.

i support OWs and all, but comparing pepper spray to live rounds is silly.

Yes the cops are going above and beyond ridiculous in their actions, but they have yet to murder anyone.

Yet

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

These police are pushing their luck and are about to cause North America to plunge into mob rule.

Or is that maybe the point? It sure would justify the billions spent militarizing your police forces. It sure would justify all those civilian inmate forced labor camps and "relocation" camps.

could all of this be a ploy? forcing the protests to become violent to justify the crackdown they so sorely want?

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

I wasn't aware of the death toll. That would be a major difference.

Many of the tactics such as rubber bullets and beating protesters are similar.

Egyptians have a bit more to protest about and their water probably isn't fluoridated so they're a lot tougher to control.

I don't doubt for one moment if an OWS crowd went wild that some of the police would spray gunfire.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

I have considered the fact that part of the OWS agenda could be to give them a reason to take away more freedoms and create more laws "for our security".

I think it's mostly a population base that is sick of it all and are making themselves heard and that certain groups are trying their best to take advantage of the situation, as they always do.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Has anyone seen this yet? It seems the egiptian government decided to resign today .
Couldn't handle the pressure?

The resignation of the Cabinet on Monday came amid widening protests against the ruling military. Protesters are demanding that the military quickly announce a date for the handover of power to a civilian government.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
although i dont' agree with the way OWS was handled by the police, i don't think you can compare the tactics used seeing as live rounds were used and people dying in the double figures, just seems there trying to shrug it of as the norm.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Evansr

I did not see that yet, thanks for sharing

That is big news!

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
you do realize the protesters in egypt are being shot dead on the street right?

www.cbsnews.com...
CAIRO - Egyptian soldiers and police set fire to protest tents in Cairo's Tahrir Square and fired tear gas and rubber bullets in a major assault Sunday to drive out thousands demanding that the military rulers quickly transfer power to a civilian government. At least 11 protesters were killed and hundreds were injured.

www.mercurynews.com...
police cleared an Occupy Oakland encampment from Snow Park early this morning, leaving Oakland without any Occupy encampment for the first time since Oct. 26. According to protesters at the scene, about 10 to 15 tents were still pitched in Snow Park when dozens of officers arrived shortly after midnight, and the camp was cleared quickly and peacefully. Protesters were allowed to stay in Snow Park, on 19th Street overlooking Lake Merritt, following a police raid on the main camp at Frank H. Ogawa Plaza early on Nov. 14. Early Monday morning, a handful of campers remained on the sidewalk near Snow Park, while city crews with three trucks cleaned up debris and garbage left at the park. Belongings gathered from the camp were piled on sidewalk, but otherwise it was hard to tell if there was ever a camp there. One police patrol car monitored the scene. At other previous camp sites in Ogawa Plaza and at 19th Street and Telegraph Avenue, the scene was similar this morning: quiet, with minimal police presence.

see the difference?
edit on 21-11-2011 by PrimalRed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I don't know about a direct comparison but distantly, yes. The US has no room to criticize, it is by luck and good medical care that there haven't been 2 deaths so far.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by PrimalRed

really? not saying i disbelieve you, but i am wondering why the news reports on TV in the u.k. did not mention this.
they were saying alot of deaths have been due to asphyxiation from all the tear gas, then said some of it was more potent.

will keep checking the news i guess.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
i'd go with worse in egypt.
dead people for starters.
anyhow, in the last video, mention of sound cannons, any source besides rt?
will go search.

eta, answered my own question.

search/ links
edit on 21-11-2011 by rubbertramp because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

the USA finances, and trains with the egyptian army, so a similaryty of tactics is to be expected.

same equipment and trainers, good pr defense.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Way back in January of this year I started a thread titled, "Violently overthrowing governments leaves violent governments in charge"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Damn, I hate it when I'm right.

Needless to say I hope this is resolved quickly.

beez

new topics

top topics

join