It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A man accused of Murdering goes free, because DA forgot to file paperwork!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

A district attorney in Fort Bend County, Texas forgot to file some paperwork, and as a result, a man accused of murdering a his classmate will go free as early as today. District Attorney John Healy takes ‘full responsibility’ for the slip-up and calls it ‘unfortunate’ that Richard Mendoza, Junior will be free on bail since no paperwork was filed in the 90 days following his arrest. Police say Mendoza killed his friend and classmate, 17-year-old Christopher Daigle in November 2002 after catching Mr Daigle locking lips with his then-girlfriend.

Source

Justice in America...
The DA, says it is "unfortunate", some how it seems like it should be more than just "unfortunate", perhaps it should be criminal? Perhaps reason to resign? Perhaps reason to be disbarred? But no, it's just "unfortunate", if you are a DA....

edit on 21-11-2011 by Dav1d because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
A little interesting tidbit from this year... Healey is the above DA, who forgot,

Elliott described a bizarre scene in Healey’s office during the firing – about a half-hour after a man Elliott had prosecuted on intoxicated manslaughter charges was given a maximum sentence. Elliott said Healey called him into his office, congratulated him on the verdict and then had him sit on a couch in front of a glass coffee table with some books stacked on them. “He says, ‘I want you to see if you can read what’s under these books,’” Elliott said, adding that Healey then slid the books aside. Taped to the glass on the underside of the table was Elliott’s termination letter, Elliott said. The letter said he had been “overzealous” in his position.

Source

I guess if you actually do your job, that can be seen as being "over zealous" in some areas?

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Dav1d

What role does the prosecuting attorney have when it comes to criminal prosecutions?

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Dav1d

OK a murderer goes free because the DA didn't file paper work but innocent men get exicuted even though they have the proof that they are innocent...WOW. That really boosts my confidence in the judicial system. Way to go law type people. When I think you can get anymore retarted you totaly redeem yourselves.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

You do understand the guy didnt get away with murder. The DA forgot to file the charges, and statute of limitations on filing charges for murder is decades, not months.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

The alleged murderer is far from off the hook. They'll refile the charges. There's always a chance he'll flee prosecution, but they appear to be trying to cover that base, as well. No, this isn't a get out free card, and although it's a damn shame the guy gets out even temporarily, he'll be back.

There's no statute of limitations on capital crimes.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

The alleged murderer is far from off the hook. They'll refile the charges. There's always a chance he'll flee prosecution, but they appear to be trying to cover that base, as well. No, this isn't a get out free card, and although it's a damn shame the guy gets out even temporarily, he'll be back.

There's no statute of limitations on capital crimes.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

Yep your right the murder will most likely have his day in court, but the DA? Does the DA have legal duty, here?

District Attorney John Healey admits his office made a huge mistake, and he takes full responsibility for it.
“It is a mistake that shouldn’t have been made, but it’s a long road between now and time the defendant is going to be in front of 12 citizens of Fort Bend County and we’re going to need that family, and they’re going to need us to work together as a team and try to facilitate justice which in this case, we believe is the presentation of the evidence which we believe will lead to conviction of defendant,” Healey said. “It’s not even close to being over.”

Read more: www.myfoxhouston.com...

One has to wonder, at an attitude of no bid deal, the "family" needs me if they want justice.... This guy is out until next year... It's unknown what will happen in that time... That one percent just seems to give the impression they are so much more mportant than the rest of us!

Yep just my take, no one needs to agree with me.

new topics

top topics

join