It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geminids meteor shower - December 2011

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
For all astronomy enthusiasts, stargazers and the curious alike; diary entry... the Geminids meteor shower is scheduled to appear from Dec. 4th through to the 21st with a peak between the 13th and 15th.

Click to enlarge...

Geminids: The Geminids are a meteor shower caused by the object 3200 Phaethon, which is thought to be a Palladian asteroid. This would make the Geminids, together with the Quadrantids, the only major meteor showers not originating from a comet. Unlike other meteor showers the Geminids can appear almost anywhere in the night sky, and often appear yellowish in hue. The meteors travel at medium speed in relation to other showers, at about 22 miles per second, making them fairly easy to spot.

Astronomy Live

Here are some great viewing tips and some further info' on the annual phenomenon.
Earth Sky

First observed 150 years ago - along with Quadrantids, Geminids is one of only two meteor showers known not to have originated from a comet.

Geminids is believed to intentsify each year and put on a startling show in 2010.

Some cool pics'.
2010 Slideshow

Here's to clear skies.

Peace
edit on 21-11-2011 by Perhaps because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Can this be viewed from both the north and south hemispheres? I do enjoy a good meteor show.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Good thread OP

Just to add, according to the IMO, this years peak is expected on December 14, probably between 01h–22h UT

Interestingly, a seperate set of predictions from researcher Jeremie Vaubaillon suggests that the peak may be 24 hrs later:

Source: IMCCE

Originally posted by Perhaps
Here are some great viewing tips and some further info' on the annual phenomenon.
Earth Sky

Good Tips

I would also add that, it always helps to observe from an observing site that is as free from artificial light pollution and obstructions (trees and buildings) that obstruct your view of the sky.

It's also a good idea to observe whilst laying down completely flat and looking more or less straight up. Your eyes will be able to cover more sky that way, and you will miss fewer meteors.

One sleeping bag may not be enough to keep you warm. I would double up and/or layer up with lots of warm clothes, especially if you plan to be out for some time. You can always remove clothes or get out of one of your sleeping bags later if you are too warm, but that's unlikely in my experience!

Originally posted by Perhaps
Geminids is believed to intentsify each year and put on a startling show in 2010.

Last year?

A quick look at the IMCCE page for the Geminids seems to show no significant change in activity over the next decade.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by UsualSuspect
Can this be viewed from both the north and south hemispheres? I do enjoy a good meteor show.

As I recall, Northern hemisphere observers are favoured, but Geminids will still be observable from much of the Southern hemisphere, although the rates will not be as high.

For Geminid meteors to be visible, the Geminid radiant (in the constelation Gemini) must be above the horizon (or very close to it). The higher above the horizon it climbs at your observing location, the better the rates you will see. I can't check exactly since I'm not on my usual PC which has planetarium software installed, but if you install software such as Stellarium and input your location/date/time, it will tell you how high Gemini rises above your horizon.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
nice
I will keep an eye on this one. thank's S&F

top topics

join