It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SARS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2003 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Well i heard on local midnight news, that experts have said that sars is a mutant form of the commen cold? ( isnt the cold a bacteria, sars is a virus? ) and if this is the case it wont be long before they have made a test you can have..

They also claim that it comes from animals...

Thats all i heard

posted on Apr, 10 2003 @ 07:46 PM
link   
The common cold is a virus not a bacteria that's why there is no real cure.

posted on Apr, 10 2003 @ 07:52 PM
link   
The common cold is a virus of the rhinovirus family. When you get sick and get better, you body develops antibodies to attack and destroy that particular virus from that point on any time it enters your body.

Why do you keep getting sick with colds then?

The Rhinovirus is constantly mutating. Every few months to a year, the genetic makeup for the rhinovirus will change slightly. It wont change into an entirely new disease, but it will change enough to slip past your current wall of antiobodies.

The Rhinovirus gentically attacks specifically the mucus and nasal tissues. Since it is airborne, this makes it very effective as it essentially attacks the first body part it ecounters when it enters the body.

SARS appears to be constructed very similar, in terms of being airborne and attacking the nasal/respiratory system, but its effects on the respiratory system appears to be greatly enhanced.

Now the big question is, if SARS is related to the cold, which is known to mutate readily and often, enough to make it continually contagious, what will happen if SARS mutates with the same frequency?

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 06:39 AM
link   
ahhhh, silly me i thought, cold was bacteria and the flu was a virus, are they both viruses then, the onlything i can remember about biologoy was antibiotics dont affect viruses

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 06:47 AM
link   
aslong as you have plenty of water, warmth and soup you should be ok though right, only realistically only old and young people would be at risk at home?

as you say, if this sars is what the cold has turned into, which i dont belive it is, i think it has been made and released allthough i cant think why, then there is the possibility that this will be with us forever constantly mutating

top topics

join