It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart Wars !

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I will never shop at Wal-mart. They are destroying the little mom-and-pop shops all over the country. They have the power to censor music cd's( i.e. Nirvana 'In Utero" would not be sold until Cobain changed the title of the song 'Rape Me', to Waif Me', hehe).

Just the atmosphere in that store irritates me. Clothes are all over the floor. People flock there like it is the cheapest store in the world. Hillbillies go nuts at the cafeteria, eating corndogs and drinking Coke.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
If the majority of locals want it and the anthropology folks don't have a problem with it, then I don't see what the big fuss is. WalMart has to keep the place decent, take care of it and be friendly with the locals. If it helps their economy and gives a boost to the community, so much the better.

I like WalMart. When they were getting ready to put one up in our town, I saw a lot of "No WalMart" bumper stickers. It went up anyway. After that, whenever I saw a car with one of those stickers in the parking lot there, I put a post-it note on it telling them to get rid of the sticker and stop looking foolish. We didn't have many "mom n pop" stores around and the cutesy poo specialty kitszchy stores are still there doing fine. I can't hate a place where I can get everything I need in one stop. I know a lot of parents who feel the same way. If the mom n' pops want to stay in business, they have to compete. That's what it's all about. Things can't always stay the way they've always been. If greed is what drives WalMart to try and build, it's greed that makes other store owners try to block them.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
If the majority of locals want it and the anthropology folks don't have a problem with it, then I don't see what the big fuss is. WalMart has to keep the place decent, take care of it and be friendly with the locals. If it helps their economy and gives a boost to the community, so much the better.

I like WalMart. When they were getting ready to put one up in our town, I saw a lot of "No WalMart" bumper stickers. It went up anyway. After that, whenever I saw a car with one of those stickers in the parking lot there, I put a post-it note on it telling them to get rid of the sticker and stop looking foolish. We didn't have many "mom n pop" stores around and the cutesy poo specialty kitszchy stores are still there doing fine. I can't hate a place where I can get everything I need in one stop. I know a lot of parents who feel the same way. If the mom n' pops want to stay in business, they have to compete. That's what it's all about. Things can't always stay the way they've always been. If greed is what drives WalMart to try and build, it's greed that makes other store owners try to block them.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I love Wal-Mart. If Wal-Mart doesn't sell it, I probably don't need it. Long live Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart (or Target) is good for groceries and generic stuff, but when I want something specific, I prefer specialty stores. For example:

GameStop and Suncoast will have lots of DVDs and video games that Wal-Mart doesn't and would never carry. Rare stuff, classic stuff, etc.

Office Depot for my office supplies, Home Depot for anything I need for home improvement. Wal-Mart's selections are pretty mediocre in those two departments.

Toys 'R Us for toys or collectibles of any kind... though eBay and Wal-Mart combined have eaten this company alive, so it's going out of business now.

On the Internet, I love eBay and Amazon.com... Well, you get the idea.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join